Keane kinda sucks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ho ho ho

indra said:

Sorry. Bust since he was bragging that everyone knew all his alters I just thought he'd like to list them. Obviously not everyone does know them all.

I don't need to know badly enough to bother PMing him though.

didn't need to know but decided to say it twice?!

:corn:

Seems like you are really sore about not being one of these so-called "cool kids" (can anyone tell me what this is?). I kinda feel bad for this emptyness you feel.

Since it is nearly Christmas, and I am in the spirit, I will PM YOU and tell you my alters outside of zoney! and zonelistener.

Merry Christmas, Indra.

AND....moving on....I only know a few songs. I think they are probably decent pop songs.

martha said:

And this is what I'm talking about. That Keane guy makes me cringe every time I hear him trying desperately to hit the same note as the music.

I own their two albums, have seen them three times live and have two of their recent U.K. limited release (straight from the soundboard) live recordings and Tom Chaplin has never had a problem hitting the high notes.

martha said:
I'm not talking about any high notes. I'm talking about any random note that matches the music. He's all over the place.

:tsk:

That just isn't true.

martha said:

And this is what I'm talking about. That Keane guy makes me cringe every time I hear him trying desperately to hit the same note as the music.

That's not at all what I was talking about.

I was saying that if anyone thinks the tone of singing between Bono and Tom are the same, they are bonkers.
At the moment, I'd have to say that Tom has a better range and style of singing. Probably due to his youth and the fact that Bono has like 25 years of smoking behind him.
I enjoy Tom's voice and I don't see it out of place on any song.
Potato, poh-tah-toe.

Zootlesque said:

Is It Any Wonder (esp. the intro) actually sounds more like EBTTRT to me. Don't know why everyone keeps comparing it to Zoo Station.

Well, I can hear bits of both, but mostly it sounds like Zoo Station to me. Someone (on this board, I think) made a mash-up of the 2 songs, and the similarities were pretty spot-on. I still have it on my hard drive somewhere... :hmm:

Also, doesn't the band absolutely love U2, and even said they were trying to go after the "Achtung Baby" sound with one of their albums? I remember reading an article about that, but I may be wrong. I personally don't have a major opinion on the band itself - my brother absolutely loves them, so that's pretty much all of I've heard of them. *shrug*

Zootlesque said:

By the way, I didn't necessarily mean to slag U2 off with that comment. Depending on my mood, I enjoy listening to all 4 albums. But the Keane CDs sound more natural and effortless to me than the U2 ones.

Disagreed. Under The Iron Sea is even more calculated and forced than U2's last albums.

Zootlesque said:

Is It Any Wonder (esp. the intro) actually sounds more like EBTTRT to me. Don't know why everyone keeps comparing it to Zoo Station.

Well, the intro is EBTTRT but the rest of the song is totally Bottoms (Zoo Station mix). Just a fee changes and it turns in the Keane song.
The fake guitars in IIAW make me think about Edge's work with his guitar in the live performances of Zoo Station.

martha said:

Ok, but I prefer singers who can actually sing.

hmm, i think tom is a great singer. i don't see him as the problem at all. it's the music that seems a little uninteresting most of the time to me. and that's a bit of a shame, because that voice could really shine in some great songs.

thanks for the 5 stars btw. :up:

The music works to showcase his voice, not overshadow it.

That's why they aren't that musically interesting.

Well, apart from the fact they're mainly keyboard, drums, and vocals.

I will give them that they're something fresh being a band without guitar, and they do make good pop, and that Tom is probably better at singing than Chris Martin. As a band I prefer Coldplay.
(and if any Tom/Chris comparison should be made with Bono, they should be made with Bono that was actually their age, it's ridiculous comparing a 26/29 year old and a 46 year old. also the comparison would be more valid if all three bands made the same kind of music)

That said....I wish he'd go for the type of singing he uses in Is it any wonder more often, and less so something like Cristal ball. Same goes for the band.

Zootlesque said:

By the way, I didn't necessarily mean to slag U2 off with that comment. Depending on my mood, I enjoy listening to all 4 albums. But the Keane CDs sound more natural and effortless to me than the U2 ones.

Ha, thanks for adding that. :) But please, please don't compare HTDAAB to Sam's Town. One has good songs, the other doesn't. And that's coming from someone who actually liked Hot Fuss A LOT.

I've heard a couple of songs by Keane, they never did that much for me.

And yes, IIAW? reminds me of Bottoms to some extent (with the nicked EBTTRT riff tacked at the beginning).

My only contribution is to say that I laughed out loud when I saw that "Chris Martin" has started a thread about how Keane sucks.

:drool:

:laugh:

The OOTS said:
Window In The Skies sounds like Keane with lyrics written by Chris Martin.

And that's my worthwhile contribution to this thread. :ohmy:

Oh come on, Windows isn't that bad.

I will trie to fixx you OOTS!

The OOTS said:

How does it sound like Keane? :huh:

But the lyrics, well... :uhoh:

The OOTS said:

Chris Martin doesn't have the capacity to write lyrics as Bono does. He could never write WITS.
And Keane could never make melodies like the WITS one.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i used to think keane was elevator musak steaming pile of dog crap bullshit.

then i had to see 'em open for u2 at the garden, and they impressed me enough to where i have three of their songs on my iPod... but not enough to earn more than three.

that is all.

Pretty much everything he said. But, I have both their albums on mine.

I can send you the rest if you'd like. :sexywink:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i used to think keane was elevator musak steaming pile of dog crap bullshit.

then i had to see 'em open for u2 at the garden, and they impressed me enough to where i have three of their songs on my iPod... but not enough to earn more than three.

that is all.

I have three of their songs on my iPod as well.

I really like the song "Is it any wonder" the lyrics are really cool if you give it a listen.

Under the Iron Sea is a great album.

P.S. Chris Martin's a bitch

I used to love Coldplay until they started sucking. (post ROBTTH)

Zootlesque said:

yes the intro, but the rest sounds like Zoo Station, especially the bass and drums during the verses

Is It Any Wonder is decent, but it sounds too much like a ripoff of ZS to be noteworthy

I'm not a huge Keane fan but I do like the song Everybody's Changing (which Muse totally ripped off on one of their new songs)

and i LOVE the song Nothing in my Way. Seriously. if Keane existed for one reason, it was to write that song. most beautiful song I've heard in a long time. the melodies and harmonies and stuff going on there is just gorgeous.

for a lonely soul you're having such a nice time... :drool:

AtomicBono said:
yes the intro, but the rest sounds like Zoo Station, especially the bass and drums during the verses

:hmm: That's true.

AtomicBono said:
I'm not a huge Keane fan but I do like the song Everybody's Changing (which Muse totally ripped off on one of their new songs)

Yes! :lol:

Everybody's Changing >>>>> Invincible

AtomicBono said:
and i LOVE the song Nothing in my Way. Seriously. if Keane existed for one reason, it was to write that song. most beautiful song I've heard in a long time. the melodies and harmonies and stuff going on there is just gorgeous.

for a lonely soul you're having such a nice time... :drool:

:combust:

Nothing In My Way, Bad Dream, Hamburg Song are all gorgeous! Leaving So Soon, Crystal Ball and Try Again are awesome too. Put It Behind You is okay but that instrumental section is kinda jarring. :slant:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom