Kardinia Park, Geelong, Victoria, Australia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Um, uh, I don't have any songs in my iTunes library that date before the 1980s, now that we're talking about dates. :uhoh:

I've just really never found 60s and 70s music to be that appealing, for whatever reason.

Listening to This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours ... again.

Oh how I adore that album.

Vlad n U 2 said:
Um, uh, I don't have any songs in my iTunes library that date before the 1980s, now that we're talking about dates. :uhoh:

I've just really never found 60s and 70s music to be that appealing, for whatever reason.

Oh Vlad...really? Two whole decades....my God.

Vlad n U 2 said:

Russia didn't contribute much to rock during the Cold War, I'm afraid.

Oh Vlad...really? Two whole decades....my God.

I'm surprised at it as much as you are.

Russia didn't contribute much to rock during the Cold War, I'm afraid.

Not until the 1980s, that much is true. As much as I dislike Gorby he brought rock music to the mainstream (earlier, in the 60s and 70s, the authorities considered rock music to be for criminals and drug addicts).

I don't rate singles, BTW, because singles are a two part component, the A-side and the B-side. If I don't know both songs, I don't rate.

Oh I absolutely agree with that - I only rate a release (any release, no matter what format) if I've heard the whole thing. In the case of singles, if I don't know all the tracks but want to rate it, I look up the b-sides. YouTube is great for that, and if the b-side is good enough, I'll download it.

Honestly, I find most of the canon stuff from the sixties and early to mid seventies to be pretty boring. There are a good number of releases from that period that I like and a few rare releases that I love, but it's exceedingly rare for something that I absolutely adore and play repeatedly to date from before the rise of post-punk.

If you go by my RYM five star ratings, there's The Shadows' amazing 1960 single Apache / Quartermaster's Stores as the earliest, but then nothing until Pink Floyd's Animals in 1977, Split Enz's Frenzy in 1978, and Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures in 1979. That's it for pre-eighties ... but then again, I only have a grand total of 34 five star releases at this point in time, so I can't lay claim to shitloads in the 1980s, 1990s, or 2000s.

I've tried to get into it! Trust me. It's not like I have just swept those two decades off the table. I've tried The Beatles, Led Zep, whatever etc. I'm not feeling it.

Whatever Etc. are an okay band. Eh make 60s/70s music and doesn't afraid of popularity.

I've tried to get into it! Trust me. It's not like I have just swept those two decades off the table. I've tried The Beatles, Led Zep, whatever etc. I'm not feeling it.

Have you listened to Pink Floyd's Animals? That's 1977, and I think you'll appreciate the lyrical themes, especially the anti-Thatcher stuff.

Also, just give this a listen, I'd be curious to see if you like it even a little bit:

SHADOWS - APACHE - YouTube

(The old footage of The Shadows is quite lulzy too.)

Based on the information Vlad has given us, I'm not sure if he would like Suicide or Joni Mitchell more.

Shall I get a new thread going while we debate the merits of pre-eighties music?

... this is, of course, the moment when I forget all the awesome placenames that I thought would make for good threads.

Or maybe somebody else should make the new thread, since I made this one!

Have you listened to Pink Floyd's Animals? That's 1977, and I think you'll appreciate the lyrical themes, especially the anti-Thatcher stuff.

Also, just give this a listen, I'd be curious to see if you like it even a little bit:

SHADOWS - APACHE - YouTube

(The old footage of The Shadows is quite lulzy too.)

I liked that. T'was pleasant.

But I can only now think of the time where you would rant about Cliff Richard. :laugh:

Shall I get a new thread going while we debate the merits of pre-eighties music?

... this is, of course, the moment when I forget all the awesome placenames that I thought would make for good threads.

Or maybe somebody else should make the new thread, since I made this one!

Oh yeah, shit, we're over 1000.

I liked that. T'was pleasant.

But I can only now think of the time where you would rant about Cliff Richard. :laugh:

That bastard, showing up at my Shadows gig and singing over the top of most of their songs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom