Kaikoura, Te Wai Pounamu, Aotearoa (Kia Kaha, Aroha to all) Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now there's a book I've been meaning to read for a while now.

And no kidding about unsatisfying endings. In particular I recall a couple of dystopias I've read recently that did a fantastic job of setting up their vision of the future and putting the parts in motion... and then cobbled together an ending in a couple of pages, as if they either had no idea how to end it, or abruptly hit a word limit and decided not to cut down on anything earlier.

But I suppose that's a slightly different thing to the whole "life isn't a traditional ending" thing. Either way, sure, it's good not to go for a traditional ending, but if you're going to shy away from that you need to realise that an ambiguous or open-ended conclusion is very different to having none at all or some rushed piece of shit.

I don't know if it is good not to go for a traditional ending, but assuming you're not, then yeah, just kind of petering out and wandering away isn't an option. It's like the literary equivalent of the end of Monty Python's Holy Grail, where the cops move in.

I don't know if it is good not to go for a traditional ending, but assuming you're not, then yeah, just kind of petering out and wandering away isn't an option. It's like the literary equivalent of the end of Monty Python's Holy Grail, where the cops move in.

I don't mind an it was over and everyone took the new normal or similar, but to build, build, build and then just puff out....eh. Bullshit.

You're writing a real page turner, and you stop NOW?

Sounds lovely. For a very long time I've been a bit afraid of asking, but what's the purpose of these threads?

It started spontaneously in 2008, in round one of Pop Survivor when a huge chat broke out. We reached the end of that thread and the poll still had half its time to run so we decided to invade another thread on a different forum. We were just going to go around and resurrect random old threads on quiet subforums, and did so for a few days before the Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein prank nearly got us banned and had us all told in no uncertain terms to create our own threads. Varitek decided to call it a Superthread and named it Australia since about half of us at the time were Aussies or Kiwis. From then we decided that instead of visiting different subforums each edition of the thread should go to unusual or funny places.

The thing has been pretty quiet since 2010, and even moreso in the last two years as people have drifted away from the thread, and indeed from the forum. We used to consider a thread slow if it took two days to finish. It's why I have such a fucking high post count.

They were touchier about those things back then I guess. Kind of like when 'Fake Edge' was a thing for a while there in 2003 or whenever.

I still can't believe I fucking fell for that.

But I was 16 and very, very stupid then.

It started spontaneously in 2008, in round one of Pop Survivor when a huge chat broke out. We reached the end of that thread and the poll still had half its time to run so we decided to invade another thread on a different forum. We were just going to go around and resurrect random old threads on quiet subforums, and did so for a few days before the Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein prank nearly got us banned and had us all told in no uncertain terms to create our own threads. Varitek decided to call it a Superthread and named it Australia since about half of us at the time were Aussies or Kiwis. From then we decided that instead of visiting different subforums each edition of the thread should go to unusual or funny places.

The thing has been pretty quiet since 2010, and even moreso in the last two years as people have drifted away from the thread, and indeed from the forum. We used to consider a thread slow if it took two days to finish. It's why I have such a fucking high post count.

The main members went through a lot of really not great times at once, and we were a crutch for each other. I'm glad that generally it held together.

We damn near came getting banned to death in, shit...09 or so? For hoaxing the site about a non-existent U2 gig.

There's a thread out there with 1000 posts of mine that was created and locked in a single day. December 31st of many years ago. It was a bet that no-life me couldn't do it before the new year.

Consequently I got the postwhore thread moved into a new sub forum as a result.

This makes me feel less bad about having a thread with 1000 posts that all belong to me in it.

☺️

This makes me feel less bad about having a thread with 1000 posts that all belong to me in it.

☺️

Hahaha.

I'm trying to remember what our fastest thread was. I think we knocked one off in about 2 hours once, just when everybody was on at the same time and there was lots to talk about.

We always meant to visit Speed, Victoria to see just how quickly we could finish if a group of us put in a concerted effort, but it never happened.

I think the 2000's were Kanye. Kendrick has a good call, but in 10 years, you're going to be at party with Rihanna on the speakers. Not Kanye or Kendrick.

That's a huge call.

From my social circle it seems Taylor Swift and Beyonce both outrank Rihanna, but I don't know how representative they are.

Of course I care about none of the above. I still think Rihanna's the singer who did "Umbrella" and that's about it.

That's a huge call.

From my social circle it seems Taylor Swift and Beyonce both outrank Rihanna, but I don't know how representative they are.

Of course I care about none of the above. I still think Rihanna's the singer who did "Umbrella" and that's about it.

I must admit I'm calling it from my social circle.

Taylor Swift and Beyone - both of whom are incredible - don't appear in what gets played around me.

Rihanna is all over the place and I don't need to justify what I think okay?

I once got stuck walking to a conference with two friends who insisted on singing some Taylor Swift song as we walked down a busy street in Sydney. Good god that was embarrassing.

I just realised that I can't name a single Beyonce song off the top of my head. I'm sure if you mentioned a song title I will recognise it - but then if you played it I wouldn't know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom