just watched the ORIGINAL Planet Of The Apes -- it is hundred times better

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foray

Rock n' Roll Doggie
What on earth was Tim Burton thinking, man.

The ending of the original was frightening and genius.

The script was wittier and more effective.

The movie at least had a point.

The protagonist had more depth than Mark Wahlberg's. Like Ebert or some critic said, Wahlberg just looked like he was a lost boy at the zoo.

For those who have seen the original, what are your thoughts?

foray

------------------
so bounce, basketball, bounce

were you as pissed as i was in the remake when rockstar guy kissed the freakass monkey?! i mean excuse me, but theres a hot girl RIGHT THERE!!! shit, is it too much to ask to stick with the same species now a days?!!?!?!? that pissed me off, and everyone in the movie theatre knew how i felt. trust me.

------------------
-deathbear

Well-l-l... Belle fell in love with the Beast and no one had a problem with that. Now that I think of it, it does sound bestial... Urm. (lol this reminds of the time my friend said "Now Beauty has fleas, too".)

foray

you just watched it? I saw that thing yeeeeears ago in high school!! My husband (then boyfriend) forced me to watch all four in the movie series.

he was such a hot date.

------------------
***ALOTWU***

The ending to the new film seemed to be a reference to the original book rather then the first movie. In the book the apes were very sophisticated much like "our society". They weren't roughing it, rather they were advanced and the humans were the primitve beings. But be that as it may, their planet wasn't earth. So needless to say the way Burton ended his film threw me off. How did Thade return before Walberg to be imortalized in D.C.? I can sense some clues as to how but they seem too far fetch and it doesnt make for good sci-fi if everything is a dubious stretch to justify the means.

Anyhow foray, I think after seeing the original movie you should follow up with Escape from the Planet of the Apes. It's the third installment and unless you became a hardcore fan, I'd avoid Beneath. Besides Escape starts off with brief recap as to what happens to Taylor, Dr. Zeus and the Earth.

Conquest of the Planet of the Apes follows Escape and is without a doubt the darkest of all of the films. For me that movie put's closure on the Escape's ending and sets up the inevitable future of the Apes.

The last movie, Battle for.., was really chessy (even for the Apes series standards). It could have been more interesting had not the whole movie had been about apes and humans settling their differnces and singing Kumbia around a school campfire.

Well, that was probably more then anybody cared to know bout simian pop culture.
biggrin.gif

I never had any desire to see Tim Burton's movie. I still haven't seen it.

The original Planet of the Apes rule in my book!

I haven't watched Burton's version, but I thought that, apart from the genuinely shocking ending, the original movie was pretty crappy and shoddy, with an irritating histrionic score and even more annoying over-acting from Charlton Heston.

Calvin N. Hobbes, you're spot on. I did plan to watch the third Apes film instead of the 2nd, because I had the chance to see trailers to all of them after the feature on video. (And lemme tell you, those trailers are hilarious.) hee hee

Anyhoo, by the time we saw the trailer to sequel #umpteenth, my friend cracked "You know how many sequels Planet of the Apes had?" "No, how many?" (that was me) "Too many!" hee hee.

Saracene: but you gotta love the way he said "Take your stinking paws of me, you damned dirty ape!" hee hee.

foray

My bro-in-law took me and big sis to the drive-in many many moons ago to see the original when it was released. I recently watched the video of the new version and felt disappointed with it.

Battle for the Planet of the Apes was pretty good. I want to see Escape now, after reading the positive comments.

ROFL... I watched that movie a hundred times because my dad made me. The original Planet of the apes series was hilarious not great. The first one was okay- I mean Charlton Heston (sp?) should've kept his towel thingy on that was just the killing of the movie.

I can say that the new pota is better in the sense of the apes movements, in the old movie they're just wobbling around and sometimes walking like regular humans which is a flaw. And I like Mark Walberg's character- he was quite and did what he had to do... charlton was over dramatic but I guess that kinda acting was in at that time.
biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom