Just discovered The Doves!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikal

Blue Crack Addict
Wow! These guys are awesome!

I've known about them for awhile, but kept forgetting to give them a listen. I'm so glad I did!

I read reveiws of them being compared to Coldplay. To be honest, I think their music is more diverse than Coldplay. Both are great bands, but I think I prefer The Doves.

any other Doves fans here?

I've had The Last Broadcast for months, but my mom has had it until recently, so I'll have to get it out. :der: I used to be addicted to some of their songs.. especially There Goes the Fear :up: Wonderful song.

Doves are wonderful :D One of my very favourite bands...lost souls and the last broadcast are both amazing. I've seen them live...lots, can't think of how many times - they are great live too. :) :heart:jimi:heart:
They are going to be releasing 'lost sides' (bsides) and a DVD ('where we're calling from) at the end of the month. :applaud:

You defintiely have a found a great band. :up:

absolutely love them if you couldn't tell. :lol:

unfortunately i have yet to see them live but i will and i can't wait.

Re: Just discovered the Doves!

mikal said:
I read reveiws of them being compared to Coldplay. To be honest, I think their music is more diverse than Coldplay. Both are great bands, but I think I prefer The Doves.

WAY more diverse.

They are a great live band too.

Worth the travel if they don't play your area!

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
i really enjoyed their show last fall. :up:

i was surprised to see that it was pretty much sold out here, because their music is not played at all here in Atlanta. i would love to see them live again.

am so jealous of everyone who have seen them cause i want to so bad.

and they get no airplay whatsoever here in halifax. although i heard there goes the fear played in my local winners store once. i nearly shit myself. :lmao:

and i will be in atlanta for a whole hour in a few weeks. just a quick stop over on my way to florida. :D it's my first time in your lovely city.

Doves are amazing... Their album "Lost Souls" is not just a great album because it has great songs on it, it's great because of how well they fit together as a unified work. :bow:

Sweet Tart said:

am so jealous of everyone who have seen them cause i want to so bad.

and they get no airplay whatsoever here in halifax. although i heard there goes the fear played in my local winners store once. i nearly shit myself. :lmao:

i did hear them once at the local auto parts store. i was waiting in line and singing the song to myself when i realized what i was hearing "oh shit this is Pounding" haha. oh and one of my local news station likes to play Pounding every now and then during some adverts for their show. i would love to meet the person behind the music for their broadcast *no pun intended* because they have great taste.

Sweet Tart said:

and i will be in atlanta for a whole hour in a few weeks. just a quick stop over on my way to florida. :D it's my first time in your lovely city.

:sexywink: oh i hope you enjoy running and fighting the crowds in Hartsfield. hopefully you will be able to see the city during your landing.

Last Broadcast is one of 2002 finest albume, if not THE finest.
"Words", "There Goes The Fear", "New York", "M62", "Satellites", "Pounding", "Caught By The River." This is great stuff. Emotional tunes, sonically breathtaking.

I saw them last October. The 4th to be exact. It was my first date with my ex-girlfriend. The Commodore Ballroom, in Vancouver. By far the best first date I've ever been on. She said it was for her, too. :yes: They invite you up onto the stage for their last song, and everyone in the venue dances with the band. It's great. I don't know what the moral of this story is...but Doves make a really great first date. Just don't expect them to be your wedding band....if you get that far, of course.

Oh, The Last Broadcast was *the* summer album of 2002 for me. It really has a healing tone to it. Good for post traumatic stress...not that I would know or anything. :wink:

I listened to a lot of Last Broadcast today (first time in about a year).

It's a lot better than I remember it being.

Back
Top Bottom