Joy Division

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Palace_Hero said:
I do think Joy Division have become too trendy and you get people who love them to try and look musically smart.. it cheapens the music.

..but I'm sure there's none of that here.

I definately don't get how people can like so much of their music. LWTUA, Digital, 24 Hours, Transmission, She's Lost Control, Atmosphere, Ceremony... all great songs but beyond that I'm pushed to think of any. The rest seem a bit too miserable, a bit too poorly produced and just average.

Here's a mind blowing idea for you to consider.....everyone has different tastes!!!

Good crap, calm down. I was repling specifically to your entire last paragraph. You apparently "dont get" how people like all of their work and think their music is mediocre. Others think that of New Order. Hence my comment.

While we're at it though, trendy? What an irrelevant and flat out juvenile thing to ever worry about. Joy Division has always had a cult following and been extremely highly rated. It's only to be expected that each generation is going to have their fair share of fans. Some of us really DO like them for the music. Whether or not somethign is or isnt "trendy" or "cool" is completely irrelevant.

u2popmofo said:
While we're at it though, trendy? What an irrelevant and flat out juvenile thing to ever worry about. Joy Division has always had a cult following and been extremely highly rated. It's only to be expected that each generation is going to have their fair share of fans. Some of us really DO like them for the music. Whether or not somethign is or isnt "trendy" or "cool" is completely irrelevant.

Agreed. If I hear people I know talking about some band they love, I'll check them out. Sometimes I agree with them and wind up liking the band, too. And then sometimes I just don't agree. I've never been one to care about following trends or trying to be cool in regards to my musical tastes-I'm used to being the odd one out amongst friends in regards to what I listen to :p.

Angela

^ :up: Angela!

reptile said:

Yes...but........
I'm not......
How can i....
Well.......
Let me quote Jack White. "I'm lonely, (but i aint that lonely yet)

Incidentaly i used to sing "Transmission" in my first band after i left high school.
And yes "LOve will tear us apart" is........magnificent

What do you mean, we're lovely! :angel: :shifty:

PS Reptile, you're starting to remind me of someone I know in this Lizard Lounge city. This town ain't big enough for the both of us. :tongue:

:wink:

And popmofo, I do prefer New Order on the whole but they have an infinite number more crap songs than JD. Infact despite the difference in career span, JD isnt far behind NO in terms of top tunes. However, I prefer the New Order greats slightly more.

I think we're blessed to have such polar opposites in terms of musical sounds that are such great quality, by the same group of people, essentially.

Palace_Hero said:

I think we're blessed to have such polar opposites in terms of musical sounds that are such great quality, by the same group of people, essentially.

Good point. :up:

I'm very interested in the movie Anton Corbijn is making about Joy Division, such an interesting and tragic story most people know nothing about. Apparently Deborah Curtis is working as co-producer on the movie. Looking forward to that.

When I first showed up at work with a Joy Division compilation, my music-loving friend asked, "Has it changed your life yet?"

Excellent music, though I do find it has taken (and will continue to take) a while to grow on me.

u2popmofo said:
I'm very interested in the movie Anton Corbijn is making about Joy Division, such an interesting and tragic story most people know nothing about. Apparently Deborah Curtis is working as co-producer on the movie. Looking forward to that.
:drool: i can't wait to see that! i can think of some people who would make a very convincing ian curtis.

U2 should cover Love Will Tear Us Apart.
Joy Division Box set is the greatest purchase I've made in a while....

Iskra said:
U2 should cover Love Will Tear Us Apart.
Joy Division Box set is the greatest purchase I've made in a while....

After Paul Young covered it sometime in the 80s, I think it was agreed that NOONE should cover this song again, whether or not U2 would do a good job of it or not. I don't think anyone could add to it. :no:

blueeyedgirl said:

After Paul Young covered it sometime in the 80s, I think it was agreed that NOONE should cover this song again, whether or not U2 would do a good job of it or not. I don't think anyone could add to it. :no:

Actually, The Cure did a fantastic (though I do worship The Cure also) cover of it. But yes, they added nothing. It was just straight up The Cure covering 'Love Will Tear Us Apart'. I'm pretty sure it was never on any official release, they did it for some radio show so I wouldnt worry/feel bad about looking for it online and downloading it if you're interested.

blueeyedgirl said:
^ :up: Angela!

What do you mean, we're lovely! :angel: :shifty:

PS Reptile, you're starting to remind me of someone I know in this Lizard Lounge city. This town ain't big enough for the both of us. :tongue:

:wink:
Yeah, well you put me on to this site...if it is YOU.....have you really got blue eyes?:scratch:

:bump:

Okay, If I want to get just one CD of theirs to get into their music, which one should I go for? Closer or Substance (Greatest Hits)?

I prefer Unknown Pleasures myself.

Disorder, Day Of The Lords, She's Lost Control, and Interzone :drool:

Back
Top Bottom