Journey: Are They Still Alive???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjboog

Refugee
First I want to say that I don't really know much about Journey. Here is what sums it up:

- They released several unsuccessful albums initially with a different singer

- They put Steve Perry on the vocals and were a commercially successful band in the late 70's and 80's and were relevant as late as 1996.

- Steve Perry left the band in 1998 because of "touring limitations" and the remaining members chose Steve Augeri to replace him. The new Steve sounds similar to the old steve.

- Journey released the album Arrival in 2001 that seems to have been fairly well received and later an album in 2005 that was not even a blimp on the charts.

Has anyone here heard Journey post Perry? I downloaded the songs "Higher Place" from Arrival and also "Faith In The Heartland" from Generations and I LOVE both of those songs. I think the band still tours, but without Perry they have not been commercially successful. If you have heard their new stuff, do you like it, or do you consider Journey "dead"?

cjboog said:
First I want to say that I don't really know much about Journey. Here is what sums it up:

- They released several unsuccessful albums initially with a different singer

- They put Steve Perry on the vocals and were a commercially successful band in the late 70's and 80's and were relevant as late as 1996.

- Steve Perry left the band in 1998 because of "touring limitations" and the remaining members chose Steve Augeri to replace him. The new Steve sounds similar to the old steve.

- Journey released the album Arrival in 2001 that seems to have been fairly well received and later an album in 2005 that was not even a blimp on the charts.

Has anyone here heard Journey post Perry? I downloaded the songs "Higher Place" from Arrival and also "Faith In The Heartland" from Generations and I LOVE both of those songs. I think the band still tours, but without Perry they have not been commercially successful. If you have heard their new stuff, do you like it, or do you consider Journey "dead"?

Really, Journey has been dead since about 1987.

One 'we all got bills to pay' album and tour ten years later, sort of goes with the deal. I'm not sure it made much of a dent.

Journey with Steve Perry might have some legs to stand on, in terms of marginal album sales and decent touring numbers, but without him it's even worse than the original product.

They are probaly a notch or two above Bon Jovi on the cock rock scale. More talent, better songs, but just as much cheese.

Re: Re: Journey: Are They Still Alive???

martha said:

I saw them open for Emerson Lake and Palmer in 1975? without a singer. They were a prog instrumental band. And they didn't suck, believe it or not.

Their guitarist Neal Schon and lead vocalist Greg Rollie (before Perry) were both in Santana.

one4u2 said:
Journey is very much alive and touring with Def Leppard :wink:

I don't think alive and Def Leppard belong in the same sentence.

Currently Journey is touring. After Steve Perry left the band due to whatever, they found a replacement that looks, walks, talks the same, but sings better live actually.

I saw them in PA a year or two back, and they put on a great live show. Neil Schon is an underrated guitar player.

Listening to some of the samples from their 2000 album Arrival, it's pretty shocking how good they sound (even though it is a different singer). "Higher Place" is excellent along with "All The Way", "Signs of Life", and especially "To Be Alive Again". Listen to it on Itunes, sounds pretty dang good to me and there has been nothing interesting released since Pearl Jam over a month ago. I think I might get down to Best Buy in the next couple days and buy that album ... :hmm:

Re: Re: Journey: Are They Still Alive???

martha said:

I saw them open for Emerson Lake and Palmer in 1975? without a singer. They were a prog instrumental band. And they didn't suck, believe it or not.

Is there anyone you haven't seen? :love:

Journey not sucking... Wow, I find this hard to believe.

Ok, I'm the first one to turn up the radio whenever Don't Stop Believing or Wheel In The Sky or Open Arms comes on the radio, before anyone decides to kick my ass. :wink:

I likes Journey in the EARLY 80s. I even had an embroidered Member's Only jacket with their logo on the back (it looked cool!). Had front row seats on the 'Escape' tour. Sat in front of Neal Schon. I might even have a guitar pick somewhere :hmm: But I stopped listening to them about 20 years ago. Right around the time they released the video arcade game. I think that was for 'Frontiers'.

ah... the old days. I think :shifty:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Journey: Are They Still Alive???

martha said:

I swear they didn't have a singer when I saw them.

There was a point in their career, I believe, when they didn't have a frontman leading the group.

But Gregg Rolie played keyboards for them in the 70's and sang on quite a few songs. In fact, I always thought his voice was kinda cool.

As mentioned previously, he and Neal Schon were with Santana before Journey. I think it's Rolie who is singing on Black Magic Woman, if I'm not mistaken.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Journey: Are They Still Alive???

phanan said:

There was a point in their career, I believe, when they didn't have a frontman leading the group.

But Gregg Rolie played keyboards for them in the 70's and sang on quite a few songs. In fact, I always thought his voice was kinda cool.

As mentioned previously, he and Neal Schon were with Santana before Journey. I think it's Rolie who is singing on Black Magic Woman, if I'm not mistaken.
Yeah in the mid 70s they were a progressive/jazzy kind of instrumental band with no singer. Their record company suggested they get a singer and the audition tape for Steve Perry landed in their lucky hands.

One of the most talented rock vocalists ever, IMO.

four of the members of Rocko and the Devils are back working for Journey this summer, including Rocko.

Rocko :rockon: Probably the U2 crew member I'd like to meet the most aside from, well, I think my avatar gives it away.

Just because they aren't as big now doesn't mean they're not as good. I have Generations and most of the songs from Arrival and it's some great stuff. Higher Place, All the Way, Faith in the Heartland, Better Life, Beyond the Clouds. If anyone here liked old journey they should check it out.

I LOVE Journey--old or new, past and present. But my absolute favorite of ALL time is Steve Perry! His vocals are so awesome. I love singing along to Journey especially when I clean house! Some great memories I have of seeing them live and basically going through some of the best times of my life during their heyday!

Back
Top Bottom