Jose Conseco says...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chizip

Blue Crack Addict
McGwire used steroids :sad:

Maybe I was in denial because I'm a Cardinals fan and McGwire always seemed like classy guy who wouldnt do something to tarnish the game, but now I have my doubts that andro was all he took...

"Hoo boy," one top major-league executive told the New York Daily News. "This is going to be bad."
According to the report, Canseco claims he introduced steroids to the game and injected McGwire in the rear end numerous times in clubhouse bathroom stalls.

"Juiced: Wild Times, Rampant 'Roids, Smash Hits, and How Baseball Got Big" doesn't stop there.

Canseco also describes watching Yankees slugger Jason Giambi, who admitted in grand jury testimony to using steroids, and McGwire injecting each other while both were with the Oakland A's. Canseco also says he introduced steroids to Ivan Rodriguez, Rafael Palmeiro and Juan Gonzalez when he was traded to the Texas Rangers in 1992.

Canseco also claims that George W. Bush had to have been aware of steroid use on the Rangers when the future President was the team's general managing partner. During the 2004 State of the Union, President Bush called for players and owners to get rid of steroids.

The one thing not in the book? A little remorse. Canseco says he would have never made it to the major leagues without steroids and says every baseball player should use them. In fact, he all but provides a how-to guide to steroids and human growth hormone.

although I don't know how reliable a source Jose Conseco really is...

mark mcgwire, who retired due to a muscle around his knee removing from the bone that wouldn't heel, which is a classic sign of steroid abuse, used steroids? :shocked: i don't belive it.

now why am i the only one who didn't believe it? ohhh... maybe because he's a white guy who talked to the media... unlike barry bonds.

Last edited:
please, everybody hates barry bonds because he is a jerk, not because he's black

and the reason steroids means the most with him is because he now owns the most coveted record in all of sports, and is considered possibly the greatest player ever in the game

plus the whole balco thing, thats why barry gets most of the attention when it comes to steroids

mcgwire admittedly used andro, which raised testosterone, which is what steroids are used for, so they should have the same effects. so it was concievable that could have been all he was taking. i was probably a fool for thinking that, but love makes you think foolish things.

again... people hate barry bonds, people loved mark mcgwire... thus why people are so quick to kill bonds, and so quick to praise mcgwire... and to be honest, take away the balco testimony that no one knew about before this off season... mcgwire had more clear signs of steroid abuse than bonds did. but everyone slammed bonds and no one said shit about mcgwire. there has to be a reason why. 'cause bonds is a "jerk?" i guess not talking to the press makes one a jerk, so i guess that's why he's vilafied... mcgwire isn't a jerk, so i guess that's why no one will ever bring him down the way they've tried to bring down bonds.

everyone always says "look at bonds as a rookie and look at bonds now." let me here the first person to say "look at mcgwire as a rookie and look at mcgwire when he retired" in a negative fashion. What's that? oh yea... i recognize that sounds. it's the sound of silence.

i don't blame bonds for taking steroids, and i don't blame mcgwire. it's their own lives, and people have been cheating in baseball since the damned sport was invented. anyone who thinks babe ruth or ty cobb wouldn't have used steroids if they had the chocie is naove and simply kidding themslves. willie mays admited to using amphedamines... that is an advantage over his competition. does anybody care? nope.

but bonds? asshole.. mcgwire? great guy...

funny.

Last edited:
please

during the sammy vs mcgwire homerun chase

mcgwire was the asshole and sammy was the great guy

larussa doesnt buy it...

Cardinals manager Tony La Russa, who had Mark McGwire on his teams in Oakland as well as St. Louis, angrily fired back Sunday at former A's star Jose Canseco. Canseco, according to a New York Daily News story published on the weekend, claims in his upcoming book that he injected McGwire with steroids and that McGwire and Jason Giambi injected each other with steroids while all were with the A's.

"I just hope that the paper that made a big deal of Jose's accusations gives the same attention to those of us who know Mark," La Russa said. "I couldn't disagree more. I categorically refuse to accept anything that Jose says about Mark."

La Russa said that upon hearing of the Canseso book he talked to Cardinals coach Dave McKay, who was involved with McGwire's workouts in Oakland and St. Louis.

"The biggest key for McGwire is that all of his strength and size gains came from five or six days a week of hitting the gym with a very disciplined workout, his protein intake and careful dieting," La Russa said. "He was probably in the gym 10 times more than Jose, and Jose was bigger."

La Russa added that McGwire, as the latter admitted, also had taken androstenedione, which was a legal supplement in baseball until last year..

"I've seen (McGwire's) workouts and I've seen what he went through," La Russa said. "I shake my head at Jose taking a personal thing and ... making excuses for himself by demeaning someone else. It reminds me of when he was trying to come back with Montreal and he got cut. He claimed baseball was trying to blackball him. This was a time when baseball was looking for players all over the place, and they're blackballing Jose?"

La Russa questioned Canseco's motivation in writing the book.

"The more sensational the actions, obviously the better chance he has to recover some of his money. My guess is that he's in dire straits for finances," La Russa said. "And it's almost a human condition that he's probably jealous as hell of Mark - that Mark's kept his life together instead of what Jose did to himself. I think it's a matter of needing money and being jealous."

Given McGwire's close friendship with Giambi - Giambi has admitted using steroids - La Russa said, "It's a nice, convenient shot for Jose to take at McGwire and Giambi."

McGwire set the single-season home run record in 1998 at 70 (since broken by Barry Bonds) and hit 583 home runs for his career. But La Russa noted that McGwire was a home run hitter as a slender, 6-foot-5 player in his rookie season, 1987.

"His first season in the big leagues, he hit 49," La Russa said. "He had some back issues and if he had stayed healthy, he might have hit 60 that year. He was a unique home run hitter from the first day and he became a great hitter as he got smarter about pitching and hitting situations."

Canseco's book, "Juiced: Wild Times, Rampant 'Roids, Smash Hits, and How Baseball Got Big," published by Regan Books, is slated to be in bookstores on Feb. 21.

Besides implicating McGwire and Giambi, Canseco claimed in the book that he taught former Texas teammates Pudge Rodriguez, Rafael Palmeiro and Juan Gonzalez how to use steroids.

And Canseco also charged that the Rangers' general managing partner, future President George W. Bush, had to have been aware that the team's players were using performance-enhancing drugs.

McGwire was unavailable to comment Sunday, but the Daily News ran in its editions what it said was a statement from McGwire. "I have always told the truth and I am saddened that I continue to face this line of questioning. With regard to this book, I am reserving comment until I have the chance to review its contents myself," McGwire's statement read.

The Daily News quoted one baseball official as largely agreeing with La Russa. The official said that Canseco's claims in the book about steroids and rampant sexual impropriety in baseball were nonsense.

Without checking, one thought that comes to mind...did Giambi and Canseco ever play together in Oakland?
I thought Hose-A was long gone from the bay area before Giambi arrived.

Canseco Confessions: Tell-all outs steroid users, and George W. Bush

New York Daily News | Michael O'Keefe | February 5th, 2005

"I'm shocked, shocked to find steroid use going on in here!"

Swollen ex-slugger Jose Canseco lays waste to the game that made him famous in a shocking new book, outing several stars as steroid abusers, the Daily News has learned.

The book, "Juiced: Wild Times, Rampant 'Roids, Smash Hits, and How Baseball Got Big," published by Regan Books and scheduled to hit bookstores Feb. 21, already is causing a firestorm in baseball circles...

"Hoo boy," one top major league executive said. "This is going to be bad." ...

The longtime Oakland star, who made a brief appearance with the Yankees in 2000, claims he introduced steroids to the game and injected fellow Bash Brother Mark McGwire in the rear end numerous times in clubhouse bathroom stalls.

... (Canseco) says he personally taught All-Star and potential Hall of Famers Ivan (Pudge) Rodriguez, Rafael Palmeiro and Juan Gonzalez to use 'roids after he was traded to the Texas Rangers in 1992.

Canseco claims the team's general managing partner at the time - an aspiring politician named George W. Bush - had to have been aware that his players were using performance-enhancing drugs but did nothing about it.

White House spokesman Ken Lisaius declined to comment on the allegations, but he noted that President Bush called on players and owners during his 2004 State of the Union address to get rid of steroids and applauded the beefed-up drug policy Major League Baseball and the Players Association agreed to in December.

"This President's position on steroids has been clear for some time," Lisaius said.

should i believe jose canseco? no.

do i believe mark mcgwire took steroids? i honeslty have no clue.

all i was doing was simply pointing out the hypocrisy showed by most fans when it comes to the whole steroid issue.

Barry Bonds? Obviously... he HAD to have done steroids. look at him as a rookie, look at him now. He's twice as big.

Mark McGwire? No way. He just used andro.

It's the entire thing I always said durring the whole Bonds thing... did he use steroids? probably... but, up until the BALCO testimony came out, there was no PROOF of that. People just assumed Bonds did... largely due to the fact that Bonds is considered to be an A-hole, thanks to the media.

McGwire was not the a-hole durring the whole 98 homerun chase, despite what some have claimed. He was "standoffish" in the past with the media, but by no means was he ever the vilified figure that Bonds has become. And in the summer of 98 mcgwire AND sosa were beloved by everyone. It was great for baseball. no one tried to put either of them down. even the whole andro thing blew over within a week. the two of them were icons, on every publication in america.

but the same arguments made about bonds, that he's soooo much bigger than before, can be made about mcgwire, sosa, and a slew of other top athletes... for example...

2004-09-08-bonds-pirates.jpg
Barry%20Bonds%20hits%20HR%20600.jpg

22965.jpg
markmcgwire_b.jpg

carolina.jpg
coverjordan1.jpg

my point... and what my point has always been... is that we shouldn't just randomly accuse great athletes of being on steroids because of a massive increase in size from their rookie season. is michael jordan on steroids? i'd be shocked... everyone would be shocked. but look at him at carolina, and look at him later on with chicago. he's twice as big... his HEAD is significantly bigger. so should we accuse him of being on steroids? of course not... because there's no proof. you would just be making an assumption based upon nothing more than the fact that he's bigger than he was.

i think i know why someone is so defensive about accusing people of taking steroids....

headache1.jpg
mc2.jpg

:hmm:

Last edited:
Yeah, that looks like McGwire's step-brother...Lyle...Lyle McGwire. I think that's his name. Lyle ;)

My thoughts:

*Canseco is an type of idiot who needs money to maintain his prior lifestyle as a hot-stud ballplayer. Therefore, he shouldn't be given blind allegiance to everything he says. Also, he only mentions players he personally knows took such drugs. This leads me to believe that he disrespects all the power hitters around him (but doesn't mind those he never played with), or that he's telling the truth

and

*McGwire, Sosa, Giambi, Bonds all went from decent 30-40 home run seasons to 50-70 home run seasons in a matter of a season. A single season. This is EXTREMELY suspicious. Even Babe Ruth worked his way up to milestone of 60...bit by bit. Hank Aaron never hit over 40-something in a single season...nor did Willie Mays have a single season or two when he appeared uncharacteristically powerful. McGwire went from hitting no more than 49 in a season to hitting 70, then 65. Sosa went from 40-something to 66 in a single year...and Bonds went from 40-something to an unbelievable 73!

Jose's twin brother Ozzie played baseball, but never could quite break into the majors.
Dan McGwire was a football player all the way.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
the bash brothers were mcgwire and jose canseco... not mark and dan. dan played football, mark played baseball. they did not play together.
sorry, i should have been more specific as i was referring to conseco and mark... i know all about dan..he played qb at iowa before he transfered to sdsu...their parents are u of i grads...

well i think everybody else understood it was a play on words

Con-seco

he is trying to con everybody

yeah, thats the ticket

I thought it was intended to slag off the Pacers' home arena, or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom