Johnny Lydon calls Police "soggy old dead carcasses"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnnRKeyintheUSA

War Child
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070920/en_afp/entertainmentbritainmusicpolicesexpistols_070920135742

Sex Pistols leader lambasts Sting Thu Sep 20, 9:57 AM ET

LONDON (AFP) - Sex Pistols frontman John Lydon slammed reformed 1970s band the Police as "soggy old dead carcasses" Thursday, singling out Sting for a particularly colourful barb.

The former Johnny Rotten made the comments two days after announcing that his legendary punk band are to stage a one-off reunion gig in November, to mark the 30th anniversary of their album "Never Mind the Bollocks."

Referring to Sting as "Stink," he said of the reformed Police: "That really is a reformation isn't it? But honestly that's like soggy old dead carcasses.

"You know listening to Stink try to squeak through 'Roxanne' one more time that's not fun," he said, referring to one of the Police's biggest hits.

"It's like letting air out of a balloon," added the 51-year-old.

The Police, a three-piece British rock band led by 55-year-old Sting who has had a string of hits, are currently in the middle of an international reunion tour which started in Canada.

The Sex Pistols, who spearheaded the 1970s punk movement in England with singles like "Anarchy in the UK" and "Pretty Vacant", announced Monday that they will play at the Brixton Academy in south London on November 8.

Lydon also gave his views on musicians' use of drugs, which he said was a "bit old fart".

Referring to drug-troubled British singers Pete Doherty and Amy Winehouse, he told Virgin Radio: "You know you can use drugs for entertainment but you should be quiet about it. That shouldn't be your centre showpiece.

"There's not much going on in their head with them. They're not thinking. They're not doing this for the right reasons."

Sid Vicious, the one time Sex Pistols bass player who died of a drug overdose in 1979, was the same, he said.

"They obviously don't enjoy what they're doing. And that's why you turn to drugs. And that's what happened with Sid (Vicious), he wasn't happy about what he couldn't do."

"It's a slow suicide and it's a cry for help because they're in pain, they're in mental pain. And this is a disgusting industry because people just cut you dead.

"The general public aren't too wise about what that means to be constantly in the limelight. It's a pain in the fucking arse," he said, but added: "Banging about your drug habits is a bit old fart isn't it?"

capt.sge.blb67.200907135739.photo00.photo.default-366x512.jpg

And what is Johnny Lydon up to these days, other than popping up in the press now and again to be snarky and slag people off?

Go do something productive, Mr. Rotten.

Last time I checked Sting never left public consciousness, certainly he has more musical talent in a wider variety styles than crazy old Lydon.

While I think $ting is a corporate whore (making a commercial that pokes fun at selling out does not make it okay), John Lydon is more full of shit than any other individual in music history. Ever.

HATE HIM.

corianderstem said:
And what is Johnny Lydon up to these days, other than popping up in the press now and again to be snarky and slag people off?

He is into property development.

It was a rhetorical question. I figured he was doing SOMETHING. :wink:

But seriously - "oh, THEIR reuinion tour is bollocks and blah blah blah whinycakes, but OUR reunion tour is most certainly all art and not about money, and aren't we the best."

He just makes me want to punch him in the face every time he opens his mouth.

corianderstem said:
He just makes me want to punch him in the face every time he opens his mouth.

Maybe if you did that, he'd learn not to open his mouth? Principles of negative reinforcement haha.

corianderstem said:

Last thing I remember was the (excellent) Leftfield and Lydon single 'Open Up' from 1994, and before that (also excellent) PIL single 'Rise' from 1986.

So yeah he doesn't seem to be particularly prolific.

I'm not a big fan of reunion tours/shows, especially from bands that haven't produced anything new in years (ie., the Police...and the Sex Pistols), but all I can think when I read his comments is "uh, hun, perhaps you want to take a good look at yourself...." :rolleyes:

If people don't like reunion tours they don't have to go see them. :shrug:

Wouldn't it be kinda cool if the Sex Pistold gave a reunion show and no one came? :wink:

personally i kinda like the reunions because i wasnt alive to see the bands perform when they were together.
i like the sex pistols but sorry the police rock. although sting can be a douchebag most of the time

I've always like Lydon. He's always been willing to speak his mind on many issues, he's intelligent, frank and honest. Even if he is a hypocrite. And the Pistols were the ones who kicked punk into the forefront, which was good for all of rock. Maybe the Clash were there at the same time, but the violence associated with their shows was like a ball & chain for them that took a few years to overcome.

As for reunion shows, I just sit in the back of the theater and squint my eyes so I can't see how old the geezers are, pretending it's actually 20 or 30 years ago :wink: In another 20 or so years, they'll all be dead, so I say enjoy it while you can.

corianderstem said:
Nah, it would be wrong to punch an old man. :wink:

There's an exception to every rule, and for this one, Lydon's your exception.

I don't have any comments that haven't already been said, but that picture of Lydon is very funny.

Well, I enjoyed reading Johnny Lydon's version of the truth in his biography, I had a good old time seeing the Pistols on the Filthy Lucre tour, and I've got tickets to the Police next January, so I'm obviously not a discerning consumer.... :wink:

Lydon made some great points about artists and recreational drugs. I think he's quite a kook - but since I really don't care for the Police at all, I thought it was a swell read.

Back
Top Bottom