Jewel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonaVox

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I just thought this was interesting, off Jewel's website:

Hello everyone,

Well, I just got back from Rosarito, Mexico. I spent the New Year sipping coconut drinks and sitting in a hot tub. The house belonged to a friend and they were gracious enough to let Ty and me stay there. I ate way too much and slept a lot and caught up on movies. It was the first break I've had since I released my last CD.

I have been writing songs on off-days while on tour, and now that I'm done touring I have been going at the new songs without any distractions. I'm very excited about the new CD. This is the first time I'm writing songs specifically for a record. Usually I just pick through my catalogue and write a few to fill in the holes. But this time I had a whole new vision for my CD.

I got to thinking about the times we are living in, politically and socially. I thought back to the 2nd World War and how Big Band music reached its zenith. During a time of tremendous uncertainty and strain, Big Band music offered an escape. People packed into small rooms and lost themselves in the rhythm and swing of the music. The windows fogged from sweat and men pressed their partners up against them and they felt like within the walls of that dance hall everything was OK and that they were young and that their passion was enough to make the whole world seem right. I want the music on my next record to make everyone feel like that. I want this collection of songs to make everyone want to move and dance and let themselves be hypnotized, forgetting all their troubles and letting nothing but melody take their place.

This record is more about rhythm and dance than my past ones. I'm writing most of the record with a really talented guy named Lester Mendes. He's great at programming. We write the music together and I write the lyrics and melodies as usual. I love writing with him. We write with the same ease and creative freedom as Steve Poltz and I did. I asked him to co-produce the record with me. We are doing it at my house. I have set up a whole studio in my old office and I'm excited to be at home instead of away from home even more.

I think this is my best record. I have 10 or so songs written and we're still writing. This record may seem pretty different to you all; I'm not sure. I'm combining R&B and hip hop rhythms with dance rhythms with '80s synth sounds with organic sounds like my guitar and hand-clapping and whistling. All the while I hope to keep it all pretty lo-fi and raw sounding in the way we record it. It has been so much fun so far that it seems almost illegal.

I am really happy with where I am creatively. I have a confidence and finally a grasp on craft so I worry less and just have fun with the whole process.

I'll try to keep in touch as we record and tell you how it's going.

I hope everyone is healthy and happy in the New Year.

Lots O' Love, Jewel

And Pop was supposed to be a dance album, and the new U2 album is supposed to be punk. Am I the only one who never believes bands when they say that their new album is a complete different genre? Always seems to be more of the same.

what the artist say it wants to be, and what the end result are indeed rarely the same.

I think that its awesome when an artist thinks that they are going to make a certain type of album but then it turns into something completely different.

This record may seem pretty different to you all; I'm not sure. I'm combining R&B and hip hop rhythms with dance rhythms with '80s synth sounds with organic sounds like my guitar and hand-clapping and whistling. All the while I hope to keep it all pretty lo-fi and raw sounding in the way we record it.

It sounds like she doesn't know where she wants her current "sound" to be going on this album. So she's trying to mash a bunch of stuff together, and hope it doesn't alienate her fans.

Sorry..not really a fan of hers and that journal entry just confirmed her flakiness.

Back
Top Bottom