Jet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2aremyfriends said:
and their shows are amazing! :up:

I truly did miss something then, when I saw them a month back, they came on at midnight and were off by 1am, their mix was way too loud so they constantly sounded distorted- the only time you could hear their harmony was if you put your fingers in your ears, they had zero personality and they looked quite un-impressed the whole time as they played to a sold out venue.....hmmmm now, what did I miss:scratch:

Way to set up a false dichotomy, guys! Sure, bands are either pastiching an existing framework (for your entertainment?) or are experimenting and making awful music (really?). I don't believe it for a second.

As some of you might know, I've had this discussion on other forums, and it always ends in tears, so I won't harp on it this time.

I'm sorry but in my book, 'ok' isn't good enough. Lots of bands are ok, but if I were to spend a cent on one, they'd have to be a lot better than ok. I daresay, a band would have to shake my world before I'd be very interested.

Here are some other Australian bands you should try listening to before you give Jet the time of day:

The Sleepy Jackson
Love outside Andromeda
The Herd
Powderfinger (grudgingly)
Augie March
Rocket Science
Magic Dirt

Avoid bandwagon bands, guys. They will only stunt your musical growth and that doesn't do anybody any good.

Oh and btw, Jet suck ass so bad that I can't even begin to express the rage they inspire in me. Shit music for a dark, dark age.

Oh yes, John Farnham. Well I'm not a patented Aussie Battler for Howard (TM), so I might have to pass on The Voice.

Also I forgot another up and coming Australian talent that you will probably hate if 'experimental' is a bad thing. His name is Ross Mclelland (or Mclennan, not sure which) and his music is an interesting and emotive thing, at least to my ears. All descending basslines and moody saxophone, I love it.

Some more Australian bands you should listen to before letting the word 'Jet' so much as pass through your consciousness:

The Underground Lovers
The Go-Betweens
Little Birdie
Machine Translations

I like the Sleepy Jackson a lot. I've been meaning to check out Augie March but I'm a bit too lazy to.

I'd list stuff like Crowded House and Nick Cave for 'favourite Austral(as)ian acts', but I think you're talking about the current scene which I'm not very familiar with.

Unless you want to discuss the merits of Bardot over Guy Sebastian or something.

OzAurora said:

I truly did miss something then, when I saw them a month back, they came on at midnight and were off by 1am, their mix was way too loud so they constantly sounded distorted- the only time you could hear their harmony was if you put your fingers in your ears, they had zero personality and they looked quite un-impressed the whole time as they played to a sold out venue.....hmmmm now, what did I miss:scratch:

Sounds like Powderfinger's first round of live shows.

Actually in my view very few bands can cut it live. To some extent I am ok with that as long as they're honest about it. I can appreciated studio recordings as good work in their own right.

The Sleepy Jackson are a case in point. They can't carry their own material live. But I still like them a lot.

That Jet show was very good, these guys know how to make people have a good time and they "connected" with the crowd since the beginning. It was a bit short though, but they only have one album, and they played some b-sides too. I you like the record, you'll like the performance.

Yes, they played loud, but that's the way they played in the cd, so that's ok for me.

btw, they like to meet the fans after the show, so you can have pics with them, they sign the cd for you, you can talk to them too and that's very cool. How many bands do that?

Anyway, that's just my opinion, I respect everyone's taste in music.

Last edited:
I saw Dave Graney play in a pub once. He hung around watching the football on TV for hours before his show, and signed a bunch of CDs afterward. He seemed like a smart and funny guy, quite pleasant to meet as well. But, you know, I still wouldn't claim it was the best show I ever saw.

Kieran McConville said:
I saw Dave Graney play in a pub once. He hung around watching the football on TV for hours before his show, and signed a bunch of CDs afterward. He seemed like a smart and funny guy, quite pleasant to meet as well. But, you know, I still wouldn't claim it was the best show I ever saw.

I know, I didn't say Jet show was the best, I've seen many shows and The Wallflowers and Bruce Springsteen are at the top of my list. I still haven't seen U2 live. :(

Kieran McConville said:
Actually in my view very few bands can cut it live. To some extent I am ok with that as long as they're honest about it. I can appreciated studio recordings as good work in their own right.

I have to disagree here, I think that it is a very Australian thing for bands to be able to 'cut' it live, and especially if said band is a 'rock' band. For me it makes me quite upset when you see a band live and they are shithouse and especially in Jet's case, I was expecting them to be good live, as I wanted to know why all of this attention was so warranted, when a band clearly didn't sound that 'original'.

Over the last year I have seen live, countless Aussie artists including, The Whitlams, The Living End, The Waifs, John Butler Trio, Xavier Rudd, Zephyr Timbre, George, Machine Gun Fellatio and many, many Brisbane and Sunshine Coast based artists and I gotta say that all of them were exceptional live. Maybe I saw Jet on a bad night, but seriously, I was not alone in my dis-satisfaction with the gig and them. Australian music was bred out of performing live and doing it well, what would of happened to the careers of artists such as Midnight Oil, Hunters and Collectors and the Divnyls, to name but a few, in the hey day of Australian 'pub rock', had they not been good live?

I know that music evolves, but honestly I do think that a band should be able to 'cut it' live, because really, isnt that what music should be, once all of the gloss, money, producers, record companies etc. etc. are taken away, shouldnt a band be able to just play their instruments and do it well, especially if the band has been given heaps of praise and given the top spot on JJJs HOT 100........

anyway you get my drift, I am sure. And speaking of the hot 100 I am going this Thursday night to see Alex Lloyd (a previous #1 hot 100 artist) and as I have seen him live before, he is 'amazing' and why am I going to see hime live again? because he puts on a good show- nuff said....

oh and btw..I'm also seeing MGF on Friday night, cant wait:wink:

Last edited:
Well Ozaurora, I respectfully disagree. As I said earlier, the Sleepy Jackson are a good example. I've heard recordings of their live shows and they are pretty sloppy... BUT, there's always a but...

On record they are wonderful. Can't be helped. They just are. It's not a question of money or production. All it means is that somehow, they were able to create something that affects me. And that's a great thing.

Anyway, I don't draw such a distinction between 'rock' and 'not rock'. It's all a bit more blurred than that. Midnight Oil forged a great reputation live, but it's not as though they never explored studio production (eg. Blue Sky Mining). Is that cheating?

U2Kitten said:

That is exactly how I feel about DMB and VA! There have been so many good bands from VA who never made it outside their hometown bars or local radio stations, and this ugly fucker who can't sing only whines and his boring, nausea inducing music hit it big. I can't stand it :scream:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I like DMB too and own several of their albums. I think their talent as musicians is obvious.

I love Jet! Their first single that made them so big here in States practically rocks my socks off! We live in a time when boybands rule the earth, it's great to see some real rock and roll bands shower the airwaves with something different! Keep it rockin' guys!

Back
Top Bottom