Jeff Buckley's Apology To Bob Dylan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
EW.com

By the time of his death in 1997, singer-songwriter Jeff Buckley had released just one full-length studio album, 1994's astonishing Grace. But in the decade since then, seemingly unquenchable interest in his soaring folk-rock and evocative lyrics has led to several posthumous records — compiling everything from unfinished demo tracks to remixes to live performances. The latest from the Buckley audio archives: a never-before-released 1993 clip of Buckley at a poetry event, reading an apology letter he wrote to his idol Bob Dylan.

The reading is included on a CD accompanying the new book The Spoken Word Revolution Redux (out April 17 from Sourcebooks Inc.). In it, Buckley begs Dylan's forgiveness for having imitated him on stage once during a show. Though the imitation was meant to flatter, Buckley worries in his apology letter that he has offended his hero, who had championed his budding career: ''I have no way of knowing how my words were translated to you... It wasn't funny at all. And I fucked up,'' he says.

You can listen to the clip here

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20034891,00.html

Interesting. I actually hadn't heard about that.

From what I observed in all the footage of Buckley I'd watched and interviews I've read, he was just kind of a goofy guy. I think he described himself well in the intro to the letter.

I still miss him. Seriously.

On the topic of Dylan/Buckley, I once read that Buckley's favorite Dylan record was "Blood on the Tracks" and his favorite song was "If You See Her, Say Hello."

Great stuff.

Oh Jeff Buckley's music has such a mysterious quality, and his vocal range was unmatched, 10 years have passed already? What a tragedy.

Back
Top Bottom