jeff buckley - hallelujah appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

all_i_want

Refugee
this is such an incredible song, i think.

excellent guitar work, a lot of emotions moving around in an ethearal space as you start to question love, god, sorrow and happiness.

beautiful!

His version is definitely better than Leonard Cohen's original. More haunting. Everyone should hear this. :bow:

HelloAngel said:
His version is definitely better than Leonard Cohen's original. More haunting. Everyone should hear this. :bow:

My favorite versions of this song

1) Leonard Cohen's live version from Cohen Live
2) Jeff Buckley
3) Rufus Wainwright
4) Bono
5) Original Leonard Cohen version.

Buckley's is amazing, but I fear it's getting too much exposure from television spots. I'm glad people are hearing the song, I just wish it could have some other means to reach them.

Last edited:
I am extremely partial to Rufus Wainwright's version too :up:
Jeff gets minimal exposure in Britain, which is a curse in one sense, but a blessing in another - it's remained a beautiful piece of music without being tarnished commerically.

Last edited:
UnforgettableLemon said:
My favorite versions of this song
Wasn't Buckley's version based on another (fairly obscure) cover of the song? Like, a duvet or something? I dunno, I remember reading that somewhere.

Bono's version brings me physical pain. Well, the snippet he'd tag onto "One" for Buckley was pretty neat, but the last time I heard the one he did for that Cohen tribute album, I swear I ended up with a broken leg.

I agree that Buckley's version is awesome (as in it inspires fucking awe) and that Hollywood needs to stop putting it in its crappy TV shows.

Last edited:
It is one of my favorite recordings of all time, even better than the moon landing:wink:

It was never as good live as it was on the record, imo. The recorded version doesn't get much more perfect than that.

paxetaurora said:
Might be the most perfect song ever recorded. I mention it in the same breath as "One."

Couldn't agree more. The most beautiful thing I've ever heard.

In the same class:

One
The First Time

Fake Plastic Trees- Radiohead

It's a short list.

Mac Phisto said:

One
The First Time

It's a short list.

The First Time by U2?

*gets a little excited about the prospect of having found someone who shares her feelings on the greatness of the song*

this is definitely a great song. i heard it a couple weeks ago, and had the distinct impression that i'd heard the song somewhere, in a movie...i remembered it being sad and touching and dramatic...i looked it up, and it was definitely in shrek 1, lol. buckley's version isn't the one on the soundtrack, but i think they used an edited version of his in the movie.

nonetheless, yeah it goes right up there with one, and the first time. however, nothing has yet to beat all i want is you. for instance, i will never enforce a no talking rule during hallelujah:wink:

shrmn8rpoptart said:
this is definitely a great song. i heard it a couple weeks ago, and had the distinct impression that i'd heard the song somewhere, in a movie...i remembered it being sad and touching and dramatic...i looked it up, and it was definitely in shrek 1, lol. buckley's version isn't the one on the soundtrack, but i think they used an edited version of his in the movie.

Wasn't that Leonard Cohen's version (which was the original one) on Shrek?

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I believe it was Rufus Wrainwright's that was in Shrek.

*edit* I just checked. Rufus Wrainwright.

Ah, ok, been a while since I'd seen Shrek. I kinda though it sounded too goo to be Cohen... :huh:

Mac Phisto said:

Couldn't agree more. The most beautiful thing I've ever heard.

In the same class:

One
The First Time

It's a short list.

:up:

i've seen this song on so many tv shows lately - to count - The O.C. (a couple of times), scrubs, without a trace, the west wing, probably more. most use it as a the ending to an episode/season.

In other news, i can play the whole rufus wainwright version of this song on the piano now (with a jeff buckley version interlude thrown in) if anyone wants the chords, i can email, its really easy to play.

yertle-the-turtle said:
I prefer John Cale's

but Buckley's version is good

and also arguably the only song of his I actually find listenable

come on, I'm not the biggest Grace fan either but Lover You Should've Come Over (before being butchered by Jamie Cullum) was pretty fucking brilliant.

And Mojo Pin and Dream Brother are beautiful. And anyone who call pull off two songs as utterly different as Corpus Christi Carol and Eternal Life one after the other on their album deserves some credit.

He's not really my thing personally, but there is more behind his legend than Hallelujah.

In the same class:

One
The First Time

It's a short list.

You'll love this if you don't already know:

The band had just been to see Jeff Buckley play a set, and when they got back into the studio, Thom recorded the vocals in two takes and broke down in tears.

Back
Top Bottom