Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nate Dogg

Refugee
Saw this last night. I am a fan of Kevin Smith's work, so I knew all the "inside" jokes. It seems as if Smith crammed a few too many cameos in the movie(many from 'American Pie'). As the plot unfolds, the jokes get better. Most of the jokes concern sex, and Jay has all of the best lines. Ben Affleck and Matt Damon appear in one scene together, putting each others films down..pretty funny. This movie was funny, but not Smith's best work. I suppose JASBSB served its purpose, though, which is one hilarious string of jokes to close out the Jay and Silent Bob movies and to retire the characters. If you are not into vulgar jokes about oral sex and smoking pot, this one probably isn't for you, snoogens.

------------------
Nate

"Sometimes I feel like I dont' know
Sometimes I feel like checking out
I wanna get it wrong
Can't Always be strong
And love it won't be long..."

-Ultraviolet

You are telling me a ridiculous movie such as Mallrats which even Kevin Smith himself apologized for making after it was released is better than Dogma?

Kevin Smith is an ok director, but his stories and plots are nothing original and have actually been done a billion times over. You can easily tell what he is trying to say when you watch his movie, especially in Chasing Amy and Dogma. I get the feeling he is going to be stuck in star wars references and gay jokes for the rest of his career.

~rougerum

I also am a Mallrats fan, I like everything K.S. has done, but Dogma is my least fav. I love the quick, wit and smartass jokes. "That kid is BACK on the escelator" Brody from Mallrats

I like some of Kevin Smith's work- I absolutely loved Clerks and believe that it is one of the funniest movies ever and Jay and Silent Bob are great characters- 'yo, do beserker, Bob!!!'
smile.gif
and I really liked Chasing Amy, but I didnt dig Mallrats at all and Dogma I found a little hard to follow, I guess that when I saw it I was a little sick of both the prodigal sons- Ben and Matt...........so anyway I will look forward to seeing any new Kevin Smith film- there is usually some good laughs to be had
smile.gif

I just saw it and I thought it was really enjoyable.

I loved the moive, it was just balls to the wall, everything in a blender fun and a nice sloppy kiss to Kevein Smith fans.

A warning though, if you don't like Keven Smith films, you will more than likely hate this movie.

------------------
Steve
SAME OLD STORY- Hardcore American Comedy

just saw it, great ending to the saga IMHO. I thought it was more in a slapstikish mold like Mallrats, which is fine by me. If you like gross, gay,marijuana jokes, you'll like this movie. I love the way all characters were tied together. The K.S. movies inside joke thing was well thought out. FUNNY STUFF!!!!

I'm seeing it tonight, i hope it's funny.

and roguerum, I think you should pick on other directors for being "unoriginal". maybe Kevin Smith's movies aren't entirely original, but they are definately moreso than most of the movies that get released these days.

Originally posted by njf77:
Jay has all of the best lines.

Duh!

Originally posted by njf77:
Ben Affleck and Matt Damon appear in one scene together, putting each others films down..pretty funny.

The bit with James van der Beek and Jason Biggs was pretty funny too.

Overall, this is the perfect movie to watch on a summer afternoon and have a good laugh. Hilarious performances from Will Ferrell, Diedrich Bader, Mark Hamill (best cameo ever!) and Kevin Smith himself as Silent Bob, who manages to put so much humour into his facial expressions.

------------------
They want you to be Jesus
They'll go down on one knee
But they'll want their money back
If you're alive at thirty-three
And you're turning tricks
With your crucifix
You're a star

"I can't watch a man sing a song. He gets all emotional, he starts swaying...it's embarrassing!" -- Jerry Seinfeld

I think instead of not being original I should have have said he was predictable, that may have been a better word.

I have seen the movie and I am nominating it for one of the worst films I have seen all year. Yes, I did laugh on parts of it but the language drowned the film completely out and I was shocked how most people in the movie were sympathetic to these two idiots, the movie does bring in characters every now and then who give moral lessons to these people but they are either made to look weak or instead of actually giving a real moral lesson, they use every swear word themselves after telling Jay and Silent Bob to basically grow up. And these characters are very few and far between too, it seems they are on screen for two minutes and that purpose was just to give a moral lesson. I suspect Kevin Smith was trying to save face. Most of the film is swear after swear word of every which way one can swear and basic propaganda for smoking weed, I saw teenagers in the front watching this and laughing out loud every 2 minutes, I get the idea that kids who are younger and in the early age of being a teenager will see these two guys as cool. This film was saying these guys were idiots, yes, but it never showed that being like these two idiots was ever wrong. If this movie was true, every person would be making the up the most inventive swear words, gay jokes, and sexual references to their crotch as they could. These are the kind of lies in movies I hate, movies that parade around ridiculous behavior and never show that it is wrong, conclusion, propaganda.

~rougerum

[This message has been edited by Henry Rollins (edited 08-28-2001).]

We just got back from seeing it tonight. Very lame, but funny. It was lame unintentionally, too, which was a problem. Clerks, Chasing Amy, and Mallrats were better (in that order). I really liked Dogma, too. I thought this one was trying too hard; it was too forced. The previous movies had a lighter touch.

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

"The skeletal structure of your foot is not normal." -- my podiatrist 8-6-01

Back
Top Bottom