Jack Johnson is the man!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gherman

New Yorker
This is someone that I havn't heard anyone talk about in this forum. I got his new disk On and On and it is great! If you like mellow music with a great groove you'll love him.

does anybody else here listen to him or Ben Harper?

I have friends who are big fans of him and that whole scene.

I've listened to his new cd also, it was good but not really my bag. I can definitly see why lots of people like him though, seems great at what he does.

My best friend gave me a copy of On and On in July but it took me a whil to sit down and really listen to it. It seems very slow and almost too mellow but now after listening to it for a while I can't stop. I've worn out 'A Rush Of Blood To The Head' and 'On and On' because I listen to both CDs atleast once a day. When I go to my rotations at the hosptal they keep me going through the long days.

Jack Johnson is ok. His first disc "Brushfire Fairytales" was very good. But the new one is basically a retread of the debut.

I just noticed the other threads:) Sorry guys, the computer I was at a the time started acting up when I tried to post the tread. I didn't know they went through. Now I know what you were saying KhanadaRhodes.

I'd like to get to know his material better. I am only familiar with the song Flake from his last album.

Jack Johnson and Ben Harper make music to wear colourful ethnic caps to. I don't dislike them but it's not really my cup of tea. However, I have a fondness for Jack Johnson because his latest album reminds me of a very pleasant trip that I took this summer. The bartender at the hotel bar was a fan and she was always playing Jack Johnson so now whenever I hear his music I am transported back to that time and place for just a little while.

I listen to Ben Harper..a lot. I like colourful ethnic caps( I knit them) and I love a guitar played well and I like lyrics with some soul.
I first hear Jack Johnson some time ago during a long drive on the highway. I turned on the radio and they were featuring a live set of his from a club in the USA somewhere. I liked his feel and his humour between songs. I don't own any of his albums.
I prefer Ben Harper. "steal my kisses" is a song that keeps popping up in nice places for me and I often find myself singing "I am blessed, I am blessed.."
The "diamonds on the inside" clip is so special ..imho:heart::faint:
I read your other posts first and thought you must be doing one of those sarcastic threads that crop up here from time to time. I'm glad you are genuine and enjoying what you hear.
celebrate diversity
power to the peaceful:)

gherman said:
I just noticed the other threads:) Sorry guys, the computer I was at a the time started acting up when I tried to post the tread. I didn't know they went through. Now I know what you were saying KhanadaRhodes.
:laugh: it's no problem. i'm sure it wasn't your fault though, as the forums were acting up around then too and people had similar problems, where they created a thread but their post didn't show up.

Ben Harper and Jack Johnson are very different musically, just appeal to the same crowd. I think Ben Harper is light years ahead of Jack Johnson, but I do like Jack Johnson. His music isn't great, the lyrics aren't great, he's not really a great talent, but he sounds like you are sitting around a fire at night on the beach and one of your friends has picked up a guitar and just started playing some songs they'd written themselves. It's laid back and 'nice' and amateur sounding in a good way.
In the course of a Ben Harper album you can go through reggae, rock, acoustic rootsy music, r'n'b, latin influenced, all sorts. I hope he manages to stear back away from the more commercial stuff he's been doing lately (which is still very good).

cass said:
The "diamonds on the inside" clip is so special ..imho:heart::faint:
I

Filmed at Byron Bay right?
You know he's been living on and off in Sydney for the last few months, writing new material and helping Kasey Chambers out with her new album. I've 'heard' he's gonna do small un-announced shows at venues (pubs) up and down the coast to trial his new stuff, so keep your ear close to the ground (and that he may perform with Kasey at the ARIAs in a Slim Dusty tribute).

TylerDurden said:
you can go through reggae, rock, acoustic rootsy music, r'n'b, latin influenced, all sorts.

Filmed at Byron Bay right?

he may perform with Kasey at the ARIAs in a Slim Dusty tribute).

Filmed at Byron and also Lennox:heart:. It makes me very homesick when I see it.. especially the tap and the window and the car and the brief shot of the headland.
I certainly hope he does perform with Kasey and that I remember to watch it. You were lucky to have met Slim Tyler. I heard an excerpt of an interview of the radio with him a couple of days ago. He was one cool old dude...imho:(
There is a new "roots" show starting on Triple J, but they have given it the 11pm timeslot unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom