I've Just Seen a Face - CSGW Thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, religion as I mentioned, is a way to reassure yourself that after you die, there is paradise and you'll be rewarded for the good you did on earth etc. BUT for those of you who aren't religious, what do you believe happens after death? What comes next, is there an afterlife, is there... what?!

Nothing, that's it. You cease to exist and stop thinking, and knowing, like when you're asleep. But forever. It's absolutely bloody terrifying, to be honest.

Why does what's after life matter? It shouldn't make a different right now whether or not there is something, we have to live life anyway...

That may be true,somewhat,but you sometimes have to believe in things you can`t see,there is a God...

I take it you're religious, flybabe? Which religion do you subscribe to if you don't mind me asking?

I like how we're a whole mish-mash of faiths and beliefs in here :D

:D I suppose I did.

I don't need a god. I need all of you. :)

That's amazing that you can think like that, don't you ever... want to believe in a 'higher being' just to explain the bad things? You know, to add a whole meaning to everything?

You know, religion as I mentioned, is a way to reassure yourself that after you die, there is paradise and you'll be rewarded for the good you did on earth etc. BUT for those of you who aren't religious, what do you believe happens after death? What comes next, is there an afterlife, is there... what?!

I don't believe everything stops at the death of the brain. I think we live on in a way that science as of yet can not explain.

Emma how can you say you're open-minded and then be 100% sure there's nothing.

Atheism is as closed minded as Religion by its own nature really

Agnosticism is the only thing that really could be called open-minded

I don't believe everything stops at the death of the brain. I think we live on in a way that science as of yet can not explain.

If the brain was all there was we'd be able to create decent AI by now; there is something more than simply the connections. Whether it's something that would exist after death or not is impossible to tell

I take it you're religious, flybabe? Which religion do you subscribe to if you don't mind me asking?

I like how we're a whole mish-mash of faiths and beliefs in here :D

Well,there is someone watching out for us,is there not?

Yeah I`m the Christian type,but not over the top by no means.
I believe in Christ...

That's amazing that you can think like that, don't you ever... want to believe in a 'higher being' just to explain the bad things? You know, to add a whole meaning to everything?

See, but I believe in something "higher", but not for the reason of explaining the bad things because I don't think those can ever be explained by religion or the belief in a higher power. I just feel like there is something. A force, person, I have no idea, but something. But, that this something isn't really controlling anything. It helped create the very very beginning, then it was hands-off.

I don't know, I've got bizarre thoughts about religions and higher powers. :lol:

No, I mean there are times in life when little things happen or are said that feel like heaven to me. As long as I can be there and make the people I care about happy, I have a meaning in life beyond my own wants and needs. :)

My friend Adam and I had this really interesting discussion: He's an atheist and we were talking about this same thing. He told me through some science program and intense discussions with doctors etc, that when you die, your body is physically dead. BUT your brain and all senses still work. That's where the term "deathbed" and "last dying wish" came from originally - if you died and your eyes are open, you will still be able to SEE what's going on around you, for about 6 to 8 minutes. The brain and the senses die after the body dies. So you'll still be able to HEAR, SEE etc. For about 6 to 8 minutes after you have "physically" died, the brain still lives on a bit longer.

That was the most terrifying thing I heard.

My friend Adam and I had this really interesting discussion: He's an atheist and we were talking about this same thing. He told me through some science program and intense discussions with doctors etc, that when you die, your body is physically dead. BUT your brain and all senses still work. That's where the term "deathbed" and "last dying wish" came from originally - if you died and your eyes are open, you will still be able to SEE what's going on around you, for about 6 to 8 minutes. The brain and the senses die after the body dies. So you'll still be able to HEAR, SEE etc. For about 6 to 8 minutes after you have "physically" died, the brain still lives on a bit longer.

That was the most terrifying thing I heard.

:yikes: That is horrifying.

I don't like to think about death. I actually am not sure if I even want to get very old either. :lol: I'm just not thinking about any of it.

See, but I believe in something "higher", but not for the reason of explaining the bad things because I don't think those can ever be explained by religion or the belief in a higher power. I just feel like there is something. A force, person, I have no idea, but something. But, that this something isn't really controlling anything. It helped create the very very beginning, then it was hands-off.

I don't know, I've got bizarre thoughts about religions and higher powers. :lol:

I don't think that's bizarre at all! If I believe in a higher power, I wouldn't want to think of it as controlling things. Just... I don't know. As some sort of explanation really.
Now, everyone, where DID we all come from? :lol:

Oh no, John, I don't think I'm opened minded personally - but I feel open minded to other beliefs. I know too many atheists who feel that any sort of faith is wrong, and bad, and I loathe that.
I think it's just because I'm a pessimist. I therefore look to the worst situation, and for me the worst situation is an end to everything. Completely. I wish I didn't believe that, it terrifies me more than anything, but hey - you can't choose what you believe :shrug:

I don't think that's bizarre at all! If I believe in a higher power, I wouldn't want to think of it as controlling things. Just... I don't know. As some sort of explanation really.
Now, everyone, where DID we all come from? :lol:

Yeah, I mean, I just don't like to think of a higher power as explaining anything. I feel like I don't need explanations, instead I need to move forward, you know?

I'm a scientific believer on that one. Big Bang, evolution. None of this intelligent design or creationism. :wink:

The thing I've always found that's given me some faith in a Higher Power is Science itself

Energy cannot be created or destroyed

But it was created at one point in History; so either Science is completely wrong or there exists something that's above the laws of Science

Well,there is someone watching out for us,is there not?

Yeah I`m the Christian type,but not over the top by no means.
I believe in Christ...

No you didn't kill the thread :lol:

I wish I could believe that there's someone watching over us, it's one of those things I'm intensely jealous of - I'd find it a comfort to be Christian, and I honestly think you should be proud of your faith :up:

But no, maybe not if you're being over the top with it.

Yeah, I mean, I just don't like to think of a higher power as explaining anything. I feel like I don't need explanations, instead I need to move forward, you know?

I'm a scientific believer on that one. Big Bang, evolution. None of this intelligent design or creationism. :wink:

Oh no I need an explanation :lol: I feel that once I have an explanation, I can just relax and get on with things. But at the moment I feel in limbo sort of.

The big bang... :wink: Come on, wild, there's a gag there somewhere!

Oh no I need an explanation :lol: I feel that once I have an explanation, I can just relax and get on with things. But at the moment I feel in limbo sort of.

The big bang... :wink: Come on, wild, there's a gag there somewhere!

I'm a bit of a pessimist too and don't really think there is an explanation or reason for a lot of what happens to us. I think things just happen.

:lmao: :waiting:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom