It's time we had a little chat about Hip Hop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela Harlem

Jesus Online
I think it's hip hop anyway :D I'm not entirely sure, the style of music I want to ask about is one of those genre crossovers. Hip Hop doesn't include RnB does it? I detest RnB and croony wussy blokes singing about girly things.
I know some of you are into all this so I want to know more please.
:wink:

And if anyone is inclined to bitch about this style, please go and tell someone who cares, cos I really dont.
:wink: x2

I think hip hop and r&b are two different things, although they are closely related and some artists fall into both categories depending on the song. Janet Jackson comes to my mind as someone who can do both. When I think of r&b, I think of the Isley Brothers, Jodeci, Aaliyah, people like that. Hip hop makes me think of Usher, Justin Timberlake, and other more danceable artists.

Anything else you want to know? I listen to quite a bit of both genres. :)

Yeah, I personally think they're 2 different things too. Actually, I was at the CD store today and noticed they had completely different sections for both genres.

But yes, there are some artists who try to bring both of the forms of music together (some successfully, some crappily).

Ooh see I never thought of Usher and JT etc as Hip Hop. When I wrote this I was thinking of a group you have probably never heard which is The Hilltop Hoods. I cant think of an international equivilent. It's not quite eminem, not quite as electronic as the Beasties...I'm really unsure how to define this. When I get a minute later, I'll go searching around for some examples. Which I should have done in the first place lol.

they're two different things, and then the shit they play on the radio is a whole seperate thing. so really there are three genres here...hip hop, r&b, and crap.

damn mp3 doesnt exist anymore.

hmm. 1200 techniques ring a bell to anyone? these are all australian and im not sure of any american groups who do the same, though there'd be thousands.

Angela Harlem said:
damn mp3 doesnt exist anymore.

hmm. 1200 techniques ring a bell to anyone? these are all australian and im not sure of any american groups who do the same, though there'd be thousands.
I was looking for Hilltop Roots on slsk yesterday :hmm:

I think similar groups would be De La Soul, The Roots (to an extent), Arrested Development etc

also the ever popular "The Herd" :D
(I need to download that one again)

I'm sometimes confused by what r&b and what hip hop is too, and how they differ from rap.

My guess is r&B is more mellow, melodic (Destiny's child, Usher) while hip hop is perhaps slightly more paced and aggressive in sound (Puff Daddy, Beastie Boys). I think that hip hop and r&b videos usually feature dance routines while rap videos feature bling bling and flashy cars.

I don't know where Justin Timberlake, Jay-Z or Nelly and the likes belong, though.

did I hear jump around?
f2ffbefc.gif
f2ffbefc.gif
f2ffbefc.gif
f2ffbefc.gif
f2ffbefc.gif
f2ffbefc.gif
f2ffbefc.gif
f2ffbefc.gif
f2ffbefc.gif
f2ffbefc.gif

holy shit those blue guys are making me really dizzy.

hey tomer, where's eric the red?

bring on the vikings!!

i listen to hip hop > R&B

R&B is too mellow for me, IMO. :yawn:

Of course there's blurred crossovers, as there is in rock. : \

Hip Hop: Eminem, Ludacris, Beastie Boys, A Tribe Called Quest, Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, 50 Cent, etc.

R&B: Justin Timberlake, Usher, R. Kelly, Aaliyah, etc.

DaveC said:
Hip Hop: Eminem, Ludacris, Beastie Boys, A Tribe Called Quest, Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, 50 Cent, etc.

R&B: Justin Timberlake, Usher, R. Kelly, Aaliyah, etc.

Those you list as hip hop are rappers. I would consider their music to be "rap" music, although there can be blurring between rap and hip hop. And there are so many styles of rap that some rap definitely leans toward hip hop. Those you list as R&B I would call Hip Hop, excepting Aaliyah in some cases. :shrug:

I think people here are having a hard time differentiating because 1) as Soulful said, there is a lot of crossing over, and 2) not that many people around here listen to real R&B. When I think R&B, I think Luther Vandross, the Isley Brothers, the Neville Brothers, D'Angelo, Maxwell, and so forth. R&B is quite soulful and mellow, which is why I wouldn't put Usher and Justified in that category.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom