it's official

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikal

Blue Crack Addict
Radiohead is my favorite band!

i have not liked a band more than U2 since Vanilla Ice in the 3rd grade.

i'm scared, confused, and wondering if I will ever like U2 more than Radiohead again.

has this happened to anyone else?

No one will ever fess up to that here, but I will. Once you go Radiohead, u never go back. (ok, that made no sense, but you get the drift.)

Interesting this thread should pop up now. Just a few minutes ago, I almost called Radiohead my favorite band while mentioning them to a coworker. Could I be slipping over to the dark side? :hmm:

HeartlandGirl said:
Interesting this thread should pop up now. Just a few minutes ago, I almost called Radiohead my favorite band while mentioning them to a coworker. Could I be slipping over to the dark side? :hmm:

:yes:

I don't know what's so good about Radiohead, they have one decent album (The Bends) the others are a total waste of time. All their music is is Thom Yorke rambling some crap lyrics about his self-loathing personality.

I can't believe people even consider them better than U2. They need to get off whatever they're on.

I'm out...

Last edited:
Man in the Zoo said:
I don't know what's so good about Radiohead, they have one decent album (The Bends) the others are a total waste of time. All their music is is Thom Yorke rambling some crap lyrics about his self-loathing personality.

I can't believe people even consider them better than U2. They need to get off whatever they're on.

I'm out...

You know, there are always going to be a contingent of people like you out there who think RH haven't done anything worthy since The Bends. You are the Radiohead equivalent of the 'Eighties U2 is Best' crowd. That's fine, you're entitled to your opinion but I can't help but feel that this type of people got stuck in a musical rut years ago and are unable to evolve to appreciate anything new or different. There are alot of people out there, myself included, who feel that RH has done there best work since The Bends. It's all a matter of opinion I guess. Neither group will ever convince the other one that their view is the correct one.

Calluna said:

You know, there are always going to be a contingent of people like you out there who think RH haven't done anything worthy since The Bends. You are the Radiohead equivalent of the 'Eighties U2 is Best' crowd. That's fine, you're entitled to your opinion but I can't help but feel that this type of people got stuck in a musical rut years ago and are unable to evolve to appreciate anything new or different. There are alot of people out there, myself included, who feel that RH has done there best work since The Bends. It's all a matter of opinion I guess. Neither group will ever convince the other one that their view is the correct one.

Not everyone who dislikes Radioheads recent work fits this mold. I think The Bends and OKC are their best work, and their last 3 are spotty at best. I also think 90's U2 is far superior to 80's U2, and AB has it all over JT.

U2 will probably always be my fave band

not the band that always in on heavy rotation in my cd player
but my fave anyway

Last edited:
Calluna said:

Well put Calluna.

ps~ Kid A is by far my fave RH album, and I'm a die-hard fan(atic).

MrBrau1 said:

Not everyone who dislikes Radioheads recent work fits this mold. I think The Bends and OKC are their best work, and their last 3 are spotty at best. I also think 90's U2 is far superior to 80's U2, and AB has it all over JT.

Well said.

Mr. Brau, I see what you're saying but I think you missed my point slightly. I am not trying to say that everyone who dislikes Radiohead's recent work would also dislike U2's recent work. I am saying that among music fans, people who think RH haven't done anything worthwhile since The Bends are the Radiohead fans equivalent of U2 fans who think that U2 haven't put out anything worthwhile since the Unforgettable Fire. Sure, not everyone fits into that mold but I have witnessed quite a few in both groups who fit that shoe exactly. I find this line of thinking to be oversimplified and rigid. Bands need to evolve over time and those that wish them to keep remaking the same album over and over again are asking that band to stop growing and become stagnant.

I know better than to think I will ever convince anyone in that camp to come over to my side of the fence but I still feel the need to state my opinion on the subject.

I totally understand bands have to change over time, and I understand all the reasons. I'm totally open to new ideas and ways of saying things, growth is part of being human. As much as I respect their bravery and curiosity as artists, I don't like their new music. I think many people confuse respecting their artistic ideals w/ liking their music.

mikal said:
Radiohead is my favorite band!

i have not liked a band more than U2 since Vanilla Ice in the 3rd grade.

i'm scared, confused, and wondering if I will ever like U2 more than Radiohead again.

has this happened to anyone else?

The Vanilla Ice thing never happened for me. :|

Mikal...Alpine Valley last Saturday?

I had some fine Wisconsin beer for you....:angry:

MrBrau1 said:
I totally understand bands have to change over time, and I understand all the reasons. I'm totally open to new ideas and ways of saying things, growth is part of being human. As much as I respect their bravery and curiosity as artists, I don't like their new music. I think many people confuse respecting their artistic ideals w/ liking their music.

Outstanding point!

See, you aren't full of shit. ;)

Calluna....is it safe to classify what is happening to Mikal as "Accute Myxomatosis?"

MrBrau1 said:

Fair enough but there are alot of people out there who do like the direction they are going in, myself included. It is possible to respect a musician's artistic ideals AND like their music at the same time.

And Zoney, yes I think that is a safe assumption.

I love Frank Zappa who played just about anything during his career
and I love AC/DC who have played about the same thing since 1977

I also love Aphex Twin, without whom Radiohead would never been able to produce Kid A
and I adore Will Oldham, a man who makes music that sounds as if it could have been made 60 years ago but with IMHO about the best lyrics there are

and don't get me started on Miles Davis

I still don't really get why so many people don't seem able to enjoy all of it
who cares if it's inventive or not?
who cares whether there are lyrics or not?
who cares whether it rocks or not?
quality = quality
whether you like it is a matter of taste
and there is no discussing taste

Last edited:
Salome said:

I still don't really get why so many people don't seem able to enjoy all of it
who cares if it's inventive or not?
who cares whether there are lyrics or not?
who cares whether it rocks or not?
quality = quality
whether you like it is a matter of taste
and there is no discussing taste

Quite right.

Re: Re: it's official

zonelistener said:

The Vanilla Ice thing never happened for me. :|

Mikal...Alpine Valley last Saturday?

I had some fine Wisconsin beer for you....:angry:

oh i was there alright! i can't believe how early they started.

amazing show.

zonelistener said:
If they started any later, it would have been Tuesday before I would have gotten out of the parking lot.

very true. it's a lot harder to find your car when it's dark out.

Back
Top Bottom