Isle of Man Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I tried to learn to play barre chords last night.

God, those suck.

Took me a while to get the finger strength. I still have occassional issues with A-based barre chords, but I'm pretty good at this point.

Took me a while to get the finger strength. I still have occassional issues with A-based barre chords, but I'm pretty good at this point.

I don't really like playing chords in the first place, but I thought I'd give barre chords a go since some songs I'd like to play feature them. I certainly get the impression it'll take a lot of practice to make it anything other than dead string heaven. Though to me, the A-based barre chords seemed a little easier than E-based ones.

I have the same birthday as Mark McGrath, Judd Hirsch, and Eva Longoria Parker. Also, Julius Caesar was killed on my birthday, 2029 years before I was born.

Ashley: I personally think Diamond Dogs showcases Bowie's best vocal performance. Perfect mix of his early work tenor and his later work baritone.

I have the same birthday as Mark McGrath, Judd Hirsch, and Eva Longoria Parker. Also, Julius Caesar was killed on my birthday, 2029 years before I was born.

Upon checking Wikipedia, it turns out I also share my birthday with Michelle Obama and, cringe, Jim Carrey.

Plus both the Northridge and Kobe earthquakes happened on my birthday, in consecutive years too.

Guys! Michael is teasing me about marrying Derek. :grumpy:

you're not done with first semester?

we used to have 5 terms...2 before xmas, 3 after. crazy times.

Huh, I've never heard of five terms before.

When I was little, we had three terms (the longest was the first, and it was broken by a short Easter break). Then when I was ... seven, I think, we switched to four terms, which wasn't that dramatic a change.

It seems people I know in Australia tend to think of the three term system as being something old-fashioned their parents did, but of course, New Zealand took forever to do anything.

Yeah, our k-12 schools do that too, the semester ends like two weeks AFTER Christmas break.

Yeah, our k-12 schools do that too, the semester ends like two weeks AFTER Christmas break.

Honestly, our semesters were borderline meaningless. It was just a simple computation of 2 terms = 1 semester, 2 semesters = 1 year (I have utterly no recollection of whether semesters were even considered under the three term system). In J1 to Standard 4 in New Zealand and then grades 5-10 in Queensland, I do not recall any significance of semesters at all.

In grades 11-12, it only had two noteworthy aspects: firstly, for a subject to count towards your exit mark, you had to do it for at least three semesters (this was my loophole that allowed me to drop maths early, despite the fact it was "compulsory"), and secondly, the exams at the end of semester were ostensibly more significant than those at the end of terms 1 and 3. In practice, I don't really think they were; the end of semester 1 and 2 exams were basically just end of term 2 and 4 exams. The distinction was that they were big exams held in an exam block, while at the end of term 1 and 3, they were just squeezed into regular class time and essays counted for a bit more than in terms 2 and 4.

I know that the terms made no difference really until high school, and even then, they were relatively unimportant. I was surprised when I got to college and realized how much of a difference there was.

I know that the terms made no difference really until high school, and even then, they were relatively unimportant. I was surprised when I got to college and realized how much of a difference there was.

Heh, we don't even have terms at university here. Just two semesters.

And since you're the only person who's responded in the Survivor thread, I'll put this question to the Superthread: since JT has such an imposing lead, would you lot support me using the mercy rule and starting the third round early?

As I said before, I object to objection.

and Yeah, University is broken up into two semesters.

Upon checking Wikipedia, it turns out I also share my birthday with Michelle Obama and, cringe, Jim Carrey.

Plus both the Northridge and Kobe earthquakes happened on my birthday, in consecutive years too.

michelle kicks ass.

jim carrey isn't all bad. i love the truman show. also majestic. and eternal sunshine of a spotless mind.....

Heh, we don't even have terms at university here. Just two semesters.

And since you're the only person who's responded in the Survivor thread, I'll put this question to the Superthread: since JT has such an imposing lead, would you lot support me using the mercy rule and starting the third round early?
we didn't have terms in college, just the 2 semesters. most classes did have a midterm exam or paper though.

mercy rule, cool. keep it going.

you're not done with first semester?

we used to have 5 terms...2 before xmas, 3 after. crazy times.

We have four quarters:

Early Sept. - Early Nov.
Early Nov. - Late Jan.
Late Jan. - End of Mar.
April - End of year

we didn't have terms in college, just the 2 semesters. most classes did have a midterm exam or paper though.

mercy rule, cool. keep it going.

We have mid-semester breaks (not necessarily co-inciding with the middle of semester), and course co-ordinators really use their own discretion about whether they want something submitted before or after it. In PolSci courses, we tended to have our major essay for the semester due right after the mid-semester break, and the major exam at the end of the semester. Occasionally we got lucky and they did the History method of two major essays and no exam, with one due roughly halfway through semester (not necessarily coinciding with the mid-semester break) and the other at the end.

January 23rd is the last day of semester one. After that, senior year is pretty laid back.

I got the Boy/October/War remastered package yesterday for my birthday. I have yet to listen to them. What are the thoughts on the sound of the remasters and the bonus tracks?

We have mid-semester breaks (not necessarily co-inciding with the middle of semester), and course co-ordinators really use their own discretion about whether they want something submitted before or after it. In PolSci courses, we tended to have our major essay for the semester due right after the mid-semester break, and the major exam at the end of the semester. Occasionally we got lucky and they did the History method of two major essays and no exam, with one due roughly halfway through semester (not necessarily coinciding with the mid-semester break) and the other at the end.
yeah we had a week long break in the fall and spring, and midterms were usually right before break but occasionally right after, particuarly if they were papers nad not exams. midterms in-class, although some profs were dicks and scheduled them for longer periods in evenings or even, dicks, on saturdays. finals were scheduled by the registrar or whatever after classes ended.

then some profs would give 2 midterms or thirdterms or whatever...

I got the Boy/October/War remastered package yesterday for my birthday. I have yet to listen to them. What are the thoughts on the sound of the remasters and the bonus tracks?

I didn't notice much of a difference between the Boys because I'd only heard the original once before hearing the remaster. October was the very first time I'd heard that album, but I think War sounds amazing remastered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom