Is there anyone else who cant understand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Meh. :shrug:

I could honestly not care less whether the Blue Jays go completely undefeated or completely winless next year. I'll never understand why people up here think that unless you're a diehard fan of a Canadian team (in any sport) or you jump on the bandwagon as soon as a Canadian team starts doing well, that you're being unpatriotic.

I seriously don't give a rat's ass whether Montreal or West Paducah, KY win the Stanley Cup, but people actually got angry enough to scream at me when I told them I didn't really care if Edmonton or Carolina won the playoffs last year. Almost got into a fight with a drunk at a bar during Game 7 over it! :yikes:

AcrobatMan said:
American Football,
Ice Hockey,
&
Baseball

I understand them all, but my knowledge of football is very basic. I grew up watching hockey and baseball all the time, so I'm more familiar with those sports. I understand and love hockey the most though.

DaveC said:
Meh. :shrug:

I could honestly not care less whether the Blue Jays go completely undefeated or completely winless next year. I'll never understand why people up here think that unless you're a diehard fan of a Canadian team (in any sport) or you jump on the bandwagon as soon as a Canadian team starts doing well, that you're being unpatriotic.

I seriously don't give a rat's ass whether Montreal or West Paducah, KY win the Stanley Cup, but people actually got angry enough to scream at me when I told them I didn't really care if Edmonton or Carolina won the playoffs last year. Almost got into a fight with a drunk at a bar during Game 7 over it! :yikes:

Look out for the West Paducah 'Coons this year. Their new rookie Billy Bob Jim Bob Jones is an impact player.

yertle-the-turtle said:
I like the complicatedness of cricket, sue me. I like baseball too, but I enjoy cricket more.

I like the fact it takes ages to complete, that a batsman can face six potentially destructive deliveries (Allan Donald and Michael Atherton come to mind) and stay on. I like spin bowling because that requires guile rather than sheer power; it's bloody called 'slow bowling' but it can be devastatingly effective. I like the fact a jammy edge through the slips usually gets you four runs rather than being out. I even like the petit bourgeosie feel about the game - middle names on scorecards, breaks for lunch and tea, 'the pavilion', and the eliteness of it all, that so few nations in the world play it at the highest level.

The only thing I hate are meaningless run chases in limited overs matches or Test matches you know are going to be draws from day three.

Yeah I do like baseball though. Baseball's fun, and there are many of the same elements that I like about cricket - big hits, spectacular catches, good pitching - but it's just not cricket.

Maybe it's a cultural thing.

Me too.

I like the catches, like the one the bowler from the West Indies took (sorry I have forgotten his name) last night when the Bangladesh batsman hit it straight at him. Almost on the ground, bowler was following through and just put his hand out and caught it. Awesome!!!

:up:

phillyfan26 said:

Hockey, kill a man if it means he doesn't get a shot at the goal. (I'm not a big hockey fan because it's legal assault)

I could play hockey forever. :drool: We used to have epic games of ball hockey where I grew up, and I was always the last to leave at the end of the day. It gets a bad rap in the US, but it's an unfair one. Hockey is brutal at times, but it's also full of grace, magic, and speed...I think it's that contrast that is so appealing.

Baseball: more fun to play than to watch.

Football: too many stoppages in the play!

Slip catches boggle my mind.

When I play cricket I usually don't use the proper ball because, well, I don't want to get killed.

So it amazes me that someone could catch a cricket ball that's coming at such high speed and at such close quarters without any gloves whatsoever.

Chizip said:
the Blues increased payroll from 50 million to 70 million last year, and there is talk it could be increased to 95 million for next year

so a nearly 100% increase in payroll in 2 years time is pretty good

After the Expos disappeared, the last 3,200 Canadians who cared about baseball went back to watching the CFL. No one likes the Jays, and that includes people from Toronto :D

Hockey Simplified
  • 'Hockey' refers to ice hockey;s field hockey doesn't count for much unless you're a 16-year old girl on the field hockey team
  • Each hockey team may have 5 skaters and a goalie (keeper) on the ice, the goalie's movement is restricted
  • The object of the game is to score a goal by shooting the puck (black thing) into the opposing team's net, past their goalie
  • When play is stopped for some reason, it is resumed by a 'faceoff' where a one player from each team attempts to win the puck dropped by a referee and pass it to a teammate to resume play
  • A regulation game consists of 3, 20-minute segments called 'periods'
  • There are various penalties that can be given to a player if he commits a specific offense such as slashing an opponent with his stick, tripping an opponent, or diving on purpose to attempt to draw a penalty. A two-minute penalty is referred to as a 'minor penalty' and a more severe penalty (five minutes) is referred to as a 'major penalty'). When a player is given a penalty, he must sit out of play for the time alotted and his team plays 'shorthanded'. The team who is at full strength during the penalty is referred to as the team on the 'power play'
  • A player skating with the puck into the opposing team's 1/3 of the ice surface must be the first player from his team into that zone, otherwise an offsides is called
  • Don't worry about icing

It's a very simple game. That's what I like about hockey and moreso about footy. Perhaps soccer isn't the manliest or roughest or most exciting game, but it is a simple, beautiful game.

I dislike crickett because of the length of the tests. I really don't want to spend three days watching people doing the same stuff, especially when there are 100s of runs being scored. When the points have that little value, they mean nothing. Runs in a crickett match are as valuable as the Argentinian currency. It's like why I don't follow a lot of basketball, except multiplied many times over. When someone scores in a hockey game, it means something very significant, like a run in a baseball game or a goal in a footy match.

As far as Major League Baseball, I only follow it now with a cursary glance every week or two, and dislike the steroid injectin' douchebags breaking old timey records. Still, I used to go to a lot of minor league baseball games in Reading, PA, and I still love the appeal of the game itself. It's a game from a simpler time, a tactile, wholesome, thinking man's game, and a great way to spend a lazy summer Saturday evening at the stadium.

Last edited:
yertle-the-turtle said:
Slip catches boggle my mind.

When I play cricket I usually don't use the proper ball because, well, I don't want to get killed.

So it amazes me that someone could catch a cricket ball that's coming at such high speed and at such close quarters without any gloves whatsoever.

:drool: And those ones that are skied and get lost in the sunlight but somehow are found and held onto and the ones were they just leap to one side and somehow hang onto the ball in the tips of their fingers as they land and don't drop it are awesome...

Lets face it, cricket is an awesome game. :drool:

Canadiens1160 said:

field hockey doesn't count for much unless you're a 16-year old girl on the field hockey team

EXCUSE ME!!!!

Hockey played on a field is one of the greatest games ever.

Eleven players on each side, goal keeper, ball about the same size and weight (and pain threshold - I know having copped one in the face in both games) as a cricket ball. Fast, skillful and as interesting to watch as any other game.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Dalton, are you implying this is a gender thing? :hmm:

I had to do a double take with this. Dalton is my 10 yo daughter's name. I saw this and was like WTF is she doing here? ROFLOL!!

Now, back to your regular programming ;)

Ali

Tania said:
Canadiens1160 said:

field hockey doesn't count for much unless you're a 16-year old girl on the field hockey team

EXCUSE ME!!!!

Hockey played on a field is one of the greatest games ever.

Eleven players on each side, goal keeper, ball about the same size and weight (and pain threshold - I know having copped one in the face in both games) as a cricket ball. Fast, skillful and as interesting to watch as any other game.
Hey I'm not really knocking it - I used to ogle the girls' field hockey team in high school frequently

Nice legs :drool:

Back
Top Bottom