is there any intelligent rap today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
is there any influential, good rap today? I think its a great style, but most of the hip-hop or rap i hear these days is complete :censored:

I believe intelligent rap exists today; you just don't hear it on the radio.

I watched Dave Chapelle's Block Party (great movie, by the way - so full of fun and heart) a few months ago, and was really intrigued by one of the rap acts in the concert. I can't remember what they were called, but they were rapping about social issues. I got the impression they were on the controversial side, but it was nice to hear something like that.

Jay-Z - Kingdom Come Album

I like it all...Track 13, Minority Report, is about Hurricane Katrina...Track 14, Beach Chair, is done with Chris Martin and has a nice beat...Track 5, Lost One, is a meaningful song, very personal to Jay-Z and loss of his nephew in the car he bought for him. In terms of "intelligent" rap, it's your own interpretation.

Also Ludacris' new album, Release Therapy, has some meaningful tunes as well...

corianderstem said:
I believe intelligent rap exists today; you just don't hear it on the radio.

I watched Dave Chapelle's Block Party (great movie, by the way - so full of fun and heart) a few months ago, and was really intrigued by one of the rap acts in the concert. I can't remember what they were called, but they were rapping about social issues. I got the impression they were on the controversial side, but it was nice to hear something like that.

the roots, common, mos def, kanye west, erykah badu, jill scott & the fugees were in block party...

Headache in a Suitcase said:

the roots, common, mos def, kanye west, erykah badu, jill scott & the fugees were in block party...

And they're all good examples.

Outkast is intelligent, good rap too.

Yep, but it was a rap group I had never heard of. I'd heard of all those people prior to seeing the movie.

Dead Prez! That was it. I don't remember what they were rapping about, but I remember thinking, "Well, that'll never get played on the radio."

Oxymoron.
icon_rocket.gif

Thanks for the moronic contribution. I knew someone eventually would say it. Thanks for being predictable.

I wish I would have seen this thread sooner...I would have named some of those. :sigh:

europop2005 said:
most of the hip-hop or rap i hear these days is complete :censored:

could be said about any type of music really

and there are lots of wonderful hip-hop and rap bands and artists out there.

jay-z
kanye
outkast

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Not a big fan of what you would call contemporary rap or hip-hop.
That said:

When you think of the great rock music you know of today and some of the better things that you know are floating around, you should recognize easily that this particular group of musicians is not represented well on TV or radio.

Same with hip-hop. The fluff always gets the hype.

The top 5% of any genre is usually great.
And the rest is passable, forgettable or just shit.

Common, Mos Def, now that shit is miles away from the shit on MTV or radio. Chuck D and Michael Franti opened up my eyes years ago, there was a lot of crap then as well. Me and buddy have a rule, it's called the 5% rule. 5 % of any genre is awesome, the rest shoudl be tossed out. That doesn't leave a lot but it does leave some great music from death metal to bluegrass baby.

Last edited:
someone beat me to it: saul williams!
great, great stuff both lyrically and musically

same with roots, mos def, dead prez, and sole
great social commentary and makes me wanna get up and break some moves. i haven't really heard any kanye or common, but i've been curious to.

sounds like i need to rent Block Party,
i've never seen it but from the performances mentioned sounds pretty darn good
:up:

this is a good thread. I should check some of those artists out. When it comes to rap I listen mostly to Outkast (Aquemini=quintessential hip-hop album) and Mos Def...Cee-Lo (now famous because of Gnarls Barkley) is brilliant as well. The song "Sometimes" is beautiful. I also like Nappy Roots and Jurassic 5.

Kanye's good but I think he's overrated in the grand scheme of things...but only because he's so much better than most of the shit on the radio

I don't hate all mainstream rap though. Sometimes I just want a "dumb" rap crunk song. The Game is good for that. So is Ludacris, though he's actually got some interesting stuff not on the radio. and I love Eminem, I won't lie. Not his recent stuff so much, but his first two albums were brilliant. he's a funny guy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom