Is Kanye West burning his bridges?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
After Kanyes little tirade last night at the Europe VMA's I very much doubt he can be taken seriously...let alone tour with U2

Kanye West sore loser at awards show
POSTED: 11:55 a.m. EST, November 3, 2006
Adjust font size:
COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) -- Rap star Kanye West was named Best Hip Hop artist but still came off as a sore loser at the MTV Europe Music Awards.

Kanye apparently was so disappointed at not winning for Best Video that he crashed the stage Thursday in Copenhagen when the award was being presented to Justice and Simian for "We Are Your Friends."

In a tirade riddled with expletives, Kanye said he should have won the prize for his video "Touch The Sky," because it "cost a million dollars, Pamela Anderson was in it. I was jumping across canyons."

"If I don't win, the awards show loses credibility," Kanye said.

The rapper grabbed the Best Hip Hop award earlier in the night in a star-studded event hosted by Justin Timberlake in the Danish capital.

Timberlake won the Best Pop and Best Male awards while the Red Hot Chili Peppers won Best Album. Christina Aguilera was named Best Female artist at the annual awards show broadcast live in 17 countries.

British band Muse won the Best Alternative category, and Depeche Mode earned the Best Group award.

"Wow, guys, this is totally unexpected," said Rihanna as she received the Best R&B award. In September, the 18-year-old music star won the same category in the Music of Black Origin award in London.

The show was split between two venues: a convention hall on the city outskirts where Timberlake was in charge and an outdoor stage on Copenhagen's main square where R&B songstress Kelis introduced the artists.

Rapper Snoop Dogg, Australian band Jets and The Killers of Denmark had crowds jumping up and down in temperatures just above freezing at the outdoor venue.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers were nominated in four categories, but only won one for the album "Stadium Arcadium."

Best song went to Gnarls Barkley for "Crazy."

British comedian Sacha Baron Cohen entertained the audience with his English-mangling character Borat Sagdiyev, a Kazakh TV journalist, and poked fun at Madonna who is trying to adopt an African child.

"My only concern is that this singing transvestite will not be such a good father," Borat said in a mock video link from Kazakhstan.

Other award presenters included R&B singer Cassie, Daniel Craig _ the sixth actor to play agent James Bond -- Fat Joe, "Jackass" star Johnny Knoxville and the Sugababes.

MTV's European awards are held in a different city every year. The winners are selected by fans across Europe.

I thought it brought a little comedy to the show and he said he was drunk. Kanye is a great artist and a little bit of controversy isnt gonna stop him.

Meh, he's a brilliant, brilliant producer.
He can do whatever he wants.

He's a douchebag who needs to get over himself. He may be a talented guy, but that doesn't give him an excuse to behave the way he does.

I personally hope his friend Bono takes him aside and gives him a little talk.

he said he deserved the award because he had Pamela Anderson and he "jumped over a canyon"

dazzlingamy said:
shit lyrics

Are you serious? Have you heard anything by Kanye other than Gold Digger? Shit, have you heard anything by any mainstream rapper these days?

At least he's not, "I got bitches, I got ho's, let's smoke a blunt and drink Cristal. I got an Escalade, it's got spinnas, I'ma kill you if you fuck with me, kill every cop you see!"

Until such point as you write better, socially-conscious rap lyrics (and can make a beat even half as good as Touch the Sky), you're in no position to talk.

Now, in regards to what he did - good on him. He was absolutely robbed on that award. We all know he's got an ego so this should come as absolutely no surprise. He fucks up the mainstream.

Sound like anyone else we know? :bono:

I saw a video clip of his "tirade" on an entertainment show last night. Alcohol is no excuse for his actions (sound familiar?) I don't like or dislike him. If anyone would have done what he did, I would say the same thing :shrug:

Yeah, but there's a big difference between what Mel Gibson said and what Kanye said.
I'm sure that when most artists lose awards they curse inside asking why someone else like that won while they thought they were clearly better.
Alcohol just made him take those thoughts out loud. It would have been different if he attacked the winning artist.

Kanye's just an egomaniac, we've known this since day one.

wow, best video at the europe vmas went to a european act rather than an american artist. of course i'm not saying americans can't win the award, but rap isn't the only popular genre of music. i dunno. he just sounds whiny.

DaveC said:

He fucks up the mainstream.

Sound like anyone else we know? :bono:

You are kidding aren't you? Bono is mainstream.

"...cost a million dollars, Pamela Anderson was in it. I was jumping across canyons."

Someone please tell Kanye that expensive and including busty, talentless actors doesn't = "WINNER!!!!!"

Bono's shades said:
He's a douchebag who needs to get over himself. He may be a talented guy, but that doesn't give him an excuse to behave the way he does.

I personally hope his friend Bono takes him aside and gives him a little talk.

Yeah...what's with him thinking he deserves to win everything? Definitely needs to get over himself.

indra said:

You are kidding aren't you? Bono is mainstream.

I was referring to 1993 Bono. ;)

Yeah...what's with him thinking he deserves to win everything? Definitely needs to get over himself.

Well he actually does deserve to win most of the awards he's nominated for.

This little tirade also proves that alcohol makes people do and say stupid embarrassing things but it's no excuse. I don't care for Kanye West but I wouldn't say I hate him either. I give him proprs for going after his dream and speaking up. Keep the ego and drunken behavior in check though.

But at least Bono doesn't jump on the stage and ruin the spotlight for someone else when he says it

This reminds me of when Hansel won the Model of the Year Award in Zoolander.

"People said winning this award couldn't be done, but i guess i showed --"

Where was Lenny Kravitz and/or Billy Zane to help Kanye out?

"But I think if there were a Bible written today...I'd be one of the characters in it."

-Kanye

rolleyes.gif

Yeah touch the sky is a classic, he "borrow" another song a BETTEr song, and rapped about how he was poor and now hes not over the top.

I don't hate him, i just think he is totally overrated!

DaveC said:

Well he actually does deserve to win most of the awards he's nominated for.

That can be said by every fan of a band/artist who is nominated for an award.

I don't have any interest in Kanye or care about what awards he wins but his jumping across canyons and Pamela Anderson speech is the funniest thing I've read in this thread.

Lara Mullen said:

That can be said by every fan of a band/artist who is nominated for an award.

That is true.

But can you name a mainstream rapper who's better?

And as far as "Touch the Sky" being a ripoff - the entire genre is based on sampling other songs. Kanye's just the best out there right now.

Back
Top Bottom