Is Kanye West burning his bridges?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:sigh:

I guess I can't convince people to appreciate him - they can't see past his antics to how fucking good his music actually is.

You know, this is a big reason why a lot of people don't like U2 either.

Why do you want to convince people? :shrug:
Maybe some people, like myself, think his music is alright but don't have any more interest beyond that.

It's just your opinion that he's the best rapper, others are entitled to think he is overrated if they want to without having someone convince them otherwise.

I really don't need to convince people. I just want folks to give his music a chance, because it's really fucking good in comparison to what else is being put out as new music these days.

I just don't like when folks reject him outright for having a huge ego, and don't bother listening to his music. That's like saying you dislike Van Gogh because he went crazy and chopped his own ear off, without ever seeing a Van Gogh painting.

I realize that perhaps comparing Kanye West to Vincent Van Gogh is a little extreme, but I think you get the point I'm trying to make here.

:sigh:

I'll just resign myself to watching this thread from the sidelines from now on, I guess.

DaveC said:
I really don't need to convince people. I just want folks to give his music a chance, because it's really fucking good in comparison to what else is being put out as new music these days.

His music might be good for it's genre, but I don't like the genre. I did check out a few of his songs (don't remember which) after hearing a bunch of hype about him and all they did was give me a headache. I wasn't impressed with the lyrics either. I don't mind that other people like him, but he isn't going to appeal to everyone.

I give you an analogy too. :wink: If I don't like anything about beef, even the best steak in the world isn't going to change that.

Salome said:
I much prefer Jay-Z

who's more recent hits have been produced, more often than not, by kanye west :ohmy:

the circle never ends :wink:

dave is dead on balls accurate with his bono comparison... many u2 fans just can't see it, because they hate rap. :shrug: oh well... the majority of those who i talk to who don't like u2 all sorta say the same thing... "the music's not that bad but i just can't stand bono... he's so full of himself." i'm sure many of you have heard the same thing. and many of you are now saying the same thing about kanye west.

i wonder if kanye is short, too :hmm:

Last edited:
How about if you like Kanye's music but still think he's an egotistical douchebag?

And I certainly don't consider myself a blind defender of the B-man - there's plenty of stuff he does that pisses me off - but there's no comparison between Bono and Kanye when it comes to ego. Kanye has a history of bitching about how he should have won this or that award. Can someone please tell me when Bono has ever bitched about some award U2 didn't get? I never heard a peep out of him or any other member of U2 when ATYCLB lost Album of the Year at the Grammys to the O Brother Where Art Though soundtrack.

Last edited:
And how about let's not play the old "you're a U2 fan and you have a bias against rap" card? I have seen 3 or so videos from Kanye and I liked what I heard better than what I usually see/hear from that genre overall.

That said, I still think he acted like a spoiled brat and whining about "shooting up the Grammys" and "this award is not credible unless I win" is stupid.

Aside from comment above, both Bono and Kanye are mainstream.

(and I I think saying "I hate Bono ergo I can not allow myself to like anything U2" is a lot dumber than saying "Kanye has an ego so I will keep that in mind when I listen to his music")

Headache in a Suitcase said:

i wonder if kanye is short, too :hmm:

Nup. And he has big guns. :drool:

I heard and saw him at Sydney 1 and 11 and he was bloody brilliant. I didn't know any of his songs but he was fab. Kayne didnt come across as arrogant at all. He was humbled and awed to be playing to 40000 people (before the rest of the U2 fans showed up who were drinking at the bar during his set).

Back
Top Bottom