Is it bad for me to laugh at this story?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
Arrests in turkey toss
Five teenagers charged — one with assault — as victim remains unconscious and critically injured

BY DENISE M. BONILLA AND BILL MASON
STAFF WRITERS

November 19, 2004

Suffolk police last night arrested five teenagers who they said were involved in throwing a turkey through the windshield of a car driven by a Lake Ronkonkoma woman, 44, who was critically injured and has not regained consciousness.

Police did not immediately say why the youths, three boys and two girls, allegedly threw the turkey Saturday and whether they meant to harm anyone. The one who allegedly threw the turkey, Ryan Cushing, 18, of 122 Willow Ave., Huntington, was charged with first-degree assault. The others face lesser charges. More arrests are expected, police said.

The turkey smashed the windshield and struck the woman in the head, police said.

The victim's older sister said yesterday the woman suffered fractured cheekbones, a broken nose, a broken top jaw and a fractured lower jaw and required a tracheotomy. She was in critical but stable condition at Stony Brook University Hospital yesterday before undergoing six hours of surgery.

"We don't know what kind of cognitive damage is the result of this," the sister said. "So right now we're just praying."

The sister, who did not give her name, spoke at a news conference earlier yesterday.

Chief of Detectives Kenneth Rau said police were investigating at least seven "youthful" men and women who were captured buying the turkey on surveillance tapes in a Waldbaum's on Portion Road. The purchases were made using a credit card that had been stolen earlier that night from a vehicle parked outside the Island 16 movie theater in Holtsville, he said.

Cushing also was charged with reckless endangerment, forgery, criminal mischief and criminal possession of stolen property. Jack Cutrone, 18, of 18 Berkeley Ave., Selden; Steven Manzolina, 17, of 106 N. Evergreen Ave., Selden; Amanda McDonald, 17, of 298 Magnolia Dr., Selden; and Rachel MacDonald, 17, of 21 Shearwater Way, Centereach, were charged with criminal possession of stolen property. Manzolina also was charged with grand larceny.

At the home of Amanda McDonald, a man who identified himself as a family friend declined to comment. The others could not be reached.

*trying not to snicker*

Saw that on News12..first thing I did was make sure my kids all had alibis for that time frame.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
apparently that's a yes. it is a horrible thing to happen to the woman... but frankly, there's just something about getting smacked in the face by a turkey that makes me chuckle. i'm a horrific person.

a stolen turkey, or a turkey obtained in a fraudulent manner, at that.

Last edited:
There is something amusing about getting smacked in the head with a turkey, but these kids need to have their heads examined at the very least. It's a violent act and should be treated as such.

I bet the woman who is suffering from all those injuries isnt laughing. If you ask me they should be charged with attempted manslaughter if there is such a thing.

i'm sure it's against the law to reveal the addresses and names of juviniles (sorry about the spelling) in the U.K
I suppose it is bad to laugh at this but i can't help myself....sorry
What a load of idiots, I'm sure our hopes and prayers are with the victim and her family.

burns said:
i'm sure it's against the law to reveal the addresses and names of juviniles (sorry about the spelling) in the U.K
I suppose it is bad to laugh at this but i can't help myself....sorry
What a load of idiots, I'm sure our hopes and prayers are with the victim and her family.

Sometimes in the US, even if you're not yet 18, you can be charged as an adult.

why are Long Island kids such dumbasses? :down:

recently a group of teenagers over in Levittown decided to pull a faked kidnapping as a joke on the police... joke ended up on them when the cops pulled them over and arrested them :tsk:

its bad enough I'm at a university full of LI people... but they also set the curve for most of my classes so I shouldn't complain :shrug:

Last edited:
we had something similar at the Aquarium of the Pacific. three 13 year olds climbed over the fence and went to the shark tank, they are docile sharks, and took out 3 of them and started flinging them around until they were dead. they also killed a stingray. they got caught the next night when they came back to do it again with another friend! :|

U2democrat said:
exactly. it's parents these days that create the psycho teens these days. :shrug:

Wait a second...I really take offense to that.

As a parent of a teenager who has had her share of problems, I tired of parents getting the blame for everything. I've dealt with probation officers, judges, psychologists, guidance counselors, teachers...everyone of them has looked at me like Im a bad parent because my daughter was in trouble. I've had CPS show up at my door, because I physically restrained my 16 year old from walking out of the house at 11pm. Maybe next time I should just let her go...and have the police at my door saying she was in trouble, hurt, or God Forbid..worse. What these teens did was wrong...and should be charged with attempted manslaughter...at one point in their lives, comes a time when they have to realize there are consequences for their actions. /end rant

PS: That troubled teen of mine that I mentioned? With alot of guidance, tough love and communication on both sides...is starting college next year, majoring in psychology.

BonoBabe40 said:

Wait a second...I really take offense to that.

As a parent of a teenager who has had her share of problems, I tired of parents getting the blame for everything. I've dealt with probation officers, judges, psychologists, guidance counselors, teachers...everyone of them has looked at me like Im a bad parent because my daughter was in trouble. I've had CPS show up at my door, because I physically restrained my 16 year old from walking out of the house at 11pm. Maybe next time I should just let her go...and have the police at my door saying she was in trouble, hurt, or God Forbid..worse. What these teens did was wrong...and should be charged with attempted manslaughter...at one point in their lives, comes a time when they have to realize there are consequences for their actions. /end rant

PS: That troubled teen of mine that I mentioned? With alot of guidance, tough love and communication on both sides...is starting college next year, majoring in psychology.

Thanks for saying that. It sounds like we have a lot in common.

As the mother/stepmother of 4 kids from 17 to 28 who have been in their share of trouble as teenagers, all I can say is walk a mile in my shoes...its not an easy job. Yes, some parents do deserve some blame for their screwed up kids but some of us try really hard to do the right things and our kids screw up in spite of it.

And yes, I do think these turkey tossing hooligans should be charged with attempted manslaughter.

Tough love...the hardest kind of love. There are consequences for our actions so hope that there are consequences for those teens.

As for the parents of troubled teens/young adults on this board, I really do have an admiration for you.

Bono's American Wife said:

Thanks for saying that. It sounds like we have a lot in common.

As the mother/stepmother of 4 kids from 17 to 28 who have been in their share of trouble as teenagers, all I can say is walk a mile in my shoes...its not an easy job. Yes, some parents do deserve some blame for their screwed up kids but some of us try really hard to do the right things and our kids screw up in spite of it.

And yes, I do think these turkey tossing hooligans should be charged with attempted manslaughter.

No prob...Im just tired of society pointing the fingers at the parents when their kids screw up..I keep tellin my daughter..if you can find another place to live, where someone else is going to love you as much as we do...GO FOR IT.

She's still at home :wink:

I agree that parents often get a raw deal. Kudos to you parents who posted in defense.

But, as a teacher, I have to say that I agree to some degree with the opinion that parents help create the environment that is turning a lot of teenagers into thugs. You wouldn't believe how little cooperation the schools get from parents these days - it's amazing. To a near-majority of parents out there, the teacher is the enemy. The gap of support that exists between parents and educators is unacceptably huge.

I don't know what the solution is - I know that most parents try and succeed in raising good kids - but in many cases - especially ones that get public notoriety like the turkey incident - the parents get very defensive and refuse to acknowledge the dif between right and wrong when it comes to their kid.

Just my two cents.

frozenmuze04 said:
I agree that parents often get a raw deal. Kudos to you parents who posted in defense.

But, as a teacher, I have to say that I agree to some degree with the opinion that parents help create the environment that is turning a lot of teenagers into thugs. You wouldn't believe how little cooperation the schools get from parents these days - it's amazing. To a near-majority of parents out there, the teacher is the enemy. The gap of support that exists between parents and educators is unacceptably huge.

I don't know what the solution is - I know that most parents try and succeed in raising good kids - but in many cases - especially ones that get public notoriety like the turkey incident - the parents get very defensive and refuse to acknowledge the dif between right and wrong when it comes to their kid.

Just my two cents.

I agree with you there...a child only knows what he is taught by the parents. Unfortunately there are other influences out there that influence the child. All we can do as parents is teach them right from wrong, and hope it follows them into adulthood.

It's a tough job, but someone hasta do it :wink:

BonoBabe40 said:

No prob...Im just tired of society pointing the fingers at the parents when their kids screw up..I keep tellin my daughter..if you can find another place to live, where someone else is going to love you as much as we do...GO FOR IT.

She's still at home :wink:

Our almost 20 year old who HATED us when he was 16 and couldn't wait to leave has now discovered that home isn't such a bad place. I think we're going to have to pry him out of his room with a crowbar to get him to move out! :laugh:

If it was a frozen turkey, thats basically the same as throwing a 20lb boulder at someone's windshield...not too bright...probably Yankee fans.
Should have thrown mashed potatoes and stuffing instead.

A little off topic...for those of you who are old enough to remember this show...

Wasn't there a WKRP In Cincinnati episode where they threw turkeys out of a plane...before they realized turkeys cant fly?

I think I just aged myself again...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - omg -

That was one of the funniest episodes of a television show I've ever seen.

The great quote: "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

(In the show, they're going to send "flying" turkeys out from a radio station helicopter as gifts to poor families - the turkeys instead just plummet and it's live on the air. Twisted, but funny as hell.)

Mr. Carlson..."I thought for sure turkeys could fly"

Les Nessman's new report was hilarious..."The turkeys are plummeting to the earth"

OK so now I'm dated too.

I loved that show..

Les Nessman...with his little bowtie...

Quick trivia question....who played Herb (I think that was his name) ? The one who was always lusting after Loni Anderson..

Bono's American Wife said:

Our almost 20 year old who HATED us when he was 16 and couldn't wait to leave has now discovered that home isn't such a bad place. I think we're going to have to pry him out of his room with a crowbar to get him to move out! :laugh:

Me, and my siblings get along really well with our parents. I always say that when my degree is over I'll get a job and would like to find a home. My Mum wants us to stay until we're married which may never happen and wants to build us a house in the back garden. :laugh:

I don't want to leave home next year when I go to Spain either. I'm sad, I love being at home.
:reject:

Back
Top Bottom