is electronica the way forward?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yertle-the-turtle

ONE love, blood, life
I hate using the term 'progressive' - it brings to mind rather unfortunate images of Dream Theater and King Crimson. However, the question I am asking is of progression. We have had about fifty years of pop/rock guitar-based music. Is there anything left to do with the standard vocal/guitar/bass/drum set up? Have the likes of Sonic Youth or My Bloody Valentine reached the limits in terms of the use of feedback, or can we expect more artistes pushing the boundaries? Recently there has been a trend in 'revival' music among guitar bands, ie. to bring the past to our present age. Is guitar music cyclical in this way? Can the only way to move forward to new styles and new sounds through computers and synthesisers, through electronics? And indeed, my most burning question - does it really matter?

Songwriting is all that matters, and it's been the same FOREVER. Technical innovation can only enhance the emotional content and delivery of the song, ya still have verses, choruses, and middle 8's. Technical innovation can't replace the emotional content.
I think it actually hurt's music. If you can't play, don't worry, we'll program the music. If you can't sing, don't worry, we've got vocal processors that'll make ya sound like a star, all you need is blond hair, big boobs, and a whole lotta SAS!

Could you please simplify the question for the elderly? Thank you.

doesn't matter.

as long as it's deemed to be good music by some audience (wait a second...that can be used to defend crap like nickelback...nevermind that arguement)

doesn't matter.

hiphop

:shifty:

gotta admit, they're more creative with recycling sampling and stuff... and churn out records a lot faster.

depends on how you define progress. it's all just an ideology anyway

as a total side note.. i think it's kinda ridiculous what gets classed as electronica these days. like Cinematic Orchestra. these guys sound farrr more organic than anything on the radio, and it's not like pop music uses anything that sounds like an actual instrument much anymore

what I meant to say was, I dislike prog rock music and thus am rather disdainful of using the word 'progressive' because it denotes awful bands like Yes, but it also means 'moving forward', which refers to my original question of whether electronica is the way for music to progress.

Yes an awful band? :confused: Have you ever listened to Fragile or Close to the Edge? Yes are a great band with a lot of incredible songs in the past, even if you don't like the newer stuff.

some prog rock bands are good, innovative electronica is always good..anything innovative is good...and right now radiohead is the most innovative band around .. porcupine tree is one band which is qualified as prog band but its 100% pop on some songs..metal in others...and electronica in others..

someone needs to write a study about what according to him/her is "innovation" in music so that I can set it on fire while throwing abuse his/her way

just make the music you're able to make at that point of time and leave it at that
always the best result guaranteed
whether it has electronica in it or not

Back
Top Bottom