Irritating phrases...................

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
susanp6 said:
Cheer up it might never happen is hugely insensitive :angry:

Strangers always say that to me! I usually reply "It just has" :| (or "It already has" if I don't wanna be totally bitchy!) I often look miserable though whether I really feel miserable or not. The best response to me looking miserable was years ago at school. I was walking across the school car park, lost in my own thoughts when this random younger kid came walking by in the opposite direction told me to "Cheer up Mush" to which I gave him a look of death before we both went on our separate ways. It wasn't until I'd turned the corner past the outside of one of the music rooms that I burst into laughter. It actually really cheered me up more than any of the usual stuff people say. :huh:

Last edited:
Git Er Done--My boss has started saying that--I could squash him like a bug when I hear it--but he pays me well--so I have to act like its funny. :mad: :madspit:

It crosses my mind quite a lot to reply with that as well quiet one! :wink: actually, a short while back i was in a lift&this guy walked on and he said it&i'm thinking hmmm what shall i do&i actually told him that i don't think it's very nice or thoughtful to say that to some random stranger and he seemed to actually admit that yes it could offend people :D :happy:

"Just my 2 cents"
"Just my $0.02"
"Just my 2 pence"
"Just my £0.02"

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Whatever and lol and gay. Man i hate it when people say gay..like 'thats so gay!'

This one co-worker overuses phrases like 'so to speak' and 'marry the two together' (about bringing any 2 things together) all the freakin' time! Gets on my nerves sometimes.

Darth Vader said:
"Dreams pass in time."

"This weapon is your life."

"The fear of loss is a path to the Dark Side."

"Hold me like you did by the lake on Naboo."

:mad:
:lmao:

"But I wanted to go to Tashi station to get pick up some power converters!"

mdw3935 said:

:lmao:

"But I wanted to go to Tashi station to get pick up some power converters!"

"I have waited a long time for this my little green friend."

" The new website will be rolled out tomorrow."
"The new project will be rolled out tomorrow."

Oh yeah, were's it being rolled??

"No offense but..."

why do people always say this right before something that's obviously offensive? if you say "no offense but you're a fucking idiot" am I supposed to not be offended? I might as well just tune you out if you start a sentence with "no offense"

Another thing that bothers me is movie previews that end with a "sometimes" statement. They all fucking do that. You know, like "sometimes you have to do the unexpected to fufill expectations" or "sometimes what you need isn't what you want" or some bullshit like that.

I'll probably come back to this thread with 20 things to add. Plenty of stuff bothers me, I just don't remember what does right now.

Colloquial habits that annoy me:

"I seen that [movie/person/event]". Either put the 'have' in there, or change the sentence to "I saw that [m/p/e]" but as it stands 'I seen that' is a horrible perversion of the English language. People where I live say it all the time and it drives me nuts. Yarrr.

Not being careful with qualifiers outside of hyperbole: namely when people say/believe 'everything' is a certain way, or that something 'never' happens. Absolutes are rare, at best. Many people can't provide more than a single example if called on it; this is sloppy and careless and demonstrates you don't know what you're talking about. I might as well lump in 'assuming something is essential when its non-essential' and 'assuming something is non-essential when its essential' as well.

"Irregardless": because this isn't even a word. If it were, it would have to mean 'without lack of regard', and then you might as well just say 'regard'.

I guess 'I feel bad for her' kindof bugs me, too. Bad is functioning as an adverb here so it should be 'badly'. Where bad is functioning as a noun, as in 'I feel bad' you can probably get away with 'bad'; however, you could probably alter the sentence to be less vague as in 'I feel sick' or 'I'm hurt', etc. I don't care too much about this one, though. People talk the way they do, so whatever *shrug*.

partygirlvox said:
Man i hate it when people say gay..like 'thats so gay!'
Same here, and add "that's retarded." :mad: So offensive. I admit, I say "That's retarded" sometimes, but it was unfortunately a big part of my vocabulary for way too long. :tsk:

I can't stand most phrases used in the business world, "thinking outside the box" and "being proactive and not reactive," etc. I can't even think of the ones that really irritate me right now. The book Good to Great spawned a huge "get on the bus!" family of metaphors my old company took and beat to death.

The word "proactive" always reminds me of an episode of The Simpsons where Poochie is added to the Itchy & Scratchy show and the writer asks, "Excuse me, but "proactive" and "paradigm"? Aren't those just buzzwords that dumb people use to sound important? Not that I'm accusing you of anything like that..."

(yes, I just Googled that to find the exact quote and episode...)

Just noticed this thread again, and a few phrases i failed to mention last time (and god knows how i forgot :huh: ) are

'At the end of the day' and 'Basically' :scream: :rant: :angry:

most stories that start with "that reminds me of ...." tend to not remind me of anything I just said

Hella...
You're the bomb/shit!

Some corporate buzz words tend to irritate me at times too

and lucky for me I can't think of any right now :hyper:

I have just begun to notice people using "their" and "his" or "her" incorrectly. For example, instead of saying: 'One of the women has her appointment' , they say 'One of the women has their appointment'. It irks me at times more than others. Sometimes it's difficult to use any other word when speaking in conversation. It becomes a hassle to say "his or her" each time the subject's gender is in question, but I always appreciate the effort. When saying "Someone has her panties in a twist," most people say "Someone has their panties in a twist," which is grammatically incorrect.

I guess a lot of things in the English language are open to ridicule. It used to irk me when people said "I seen" instead of "I saw" or "we was" instead of "we were". I hear that a lot and it continues to bother me, but I can honestly say I think it's good on my part that I notice and do not emulate that speech. I am fond of using the English language correctly.

One thing that shows up most in writing is the difference between their, there, and they're. An overwhelming amount of people use those three words incorrectly. Also, your and you're and it's and its get misused.

I say if it's difficult to know when to use an apostrophe, make the two words into one. If you can do so, it's appropriate to use the word with the apostrophe. I was looking on my boyfriend's computer recently and found some invitations he had sent about a party. They said: Your invited. I cringed and prayed it was a joke. When I pointed out his mistake, my boyfriend was mortified that he had sent invitations to several people with such a blantant error. I constantly remind him, even if we are just chatting on instant messenger, to use the correct forms of words.

I loathe talking to people who insist on shortening words into sickening instant messenging abbreviations. I have even spoken with some people who use "no" meaning the word "know", which confuses the hell out of me. How hard is it to write the rest of the word? Or even scarier, do these people not even realize their mistake?

jenU2child said:
I was looking on my boyfriend's computer recently and found some invitations he had sent about a party. They said: Your invited. I cringed and prayed it was a joke.

:lol:

I have a similar story, but mine's somewhat more disturbing.

In ninth grade, I received 100% on one of my English essays. Do you know what my teacher wrote on the paper? "Your a really good writer." Your a really good writer.

I am being dead serious. An ENGLISH TEACHER wrote this.

BrownEyedBoy said:
"I could care less" irritates me because it doesn't make sense.

The actual phrase is "I COULDN'T care less." I know this and English is my second language. :rolleyes:

That is the same thing as "I didn't do nothing"

if you didn't do nothing than you did something.

Back
Top Bottom