Ireland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

achtung davy

The Fly
Hey, this is my rant about Ireland, its mainly for the attention of a unnamed prick who slagged off my country awhile back on Interference but anyone can read it!

Ireland is currently boasting the fastest-growing economy in the European Union, which is one of the best-performing in the industrialised world.

Our GNP more than doubled from 1994 to 2000. We’re the 3rd richest EU state (after Denmark and Luxembourg). Ireland is also No. 5 in this year’s world Index of Economic Freedom. In 2001, Ireland's unemployment rate was at an all-time low of 3.7 per cent.

Ireland is also the best place to live in the world, according to a "quality of life" assessment by Economist magazine.

The country's combination of increasing wealth and traditional values gives it the conditions most likely to make its people happy, the survey found. Ireland was followed by Switzerland, Norway and Luxembourg. All but one of the top 10 were European countries.The USA languished in 13th, while Britain was 29th - the lowest of the pre-expansion EU nations

The Economist said: "Ireland wins because it successfully combines the most desirable elements of the new, such as low unemployment and political liberties, with the preservation of certain cosy elements of the old, such as stable family and community life."

thank you, Daithí

:up:

Ireland IS a great country in so many ways. I've been there twice and enjoyed myself more than anywhere else and I've been to many countries. Not only is Ireland doing well economically (you'd be blind not to notice that just by walking down the streets!) but it's also such a beautiful country with an amazing cultural life and wonderful, warm-hearted people.

You know, if I didn't like my own country so much, I might as well move to Ireland!!:wink:

And whoever slags off Ireland: :coocoo: :shame: :madspit:

achtung davy said:
Hey, this is my rant about Ireland, its mainly for the attention of a unnamed prick who slagged off my country awhile back on Interference but anyone can read it!

Ireland is currently boasting the fastest-growing economy in the European Union, which is one of the best-performing in the industrialised world.

Our GNP more than doubled from 1994 to 2000. We’re the 3rd richest EU state (after Denmark and Luxembourg). Ireland is also No. 5 in this year’s world Index of Economic Freedom. In 2001, Ireland's unemployment rate was at an all-time low of 3.7 per cent.

Ireland is also the best place to live in the world, according to a "quality of life" assessment by Economist magazine.

The country's combination of increasing wealth and traditional values gives it the conditions most likely to make its people happy, the survey found. Ireland was followed by Switzerland, Norway and Luxembourg. All but one of the top 10 were European countries.The USA languished in 13th, while Britain was 29th - the lowest of the pre-expansion EU nations

The Economist said: "Ireland wins because it successfully combines the most desirable elements of the new, such as low unemployment and political liberties, with the preservation of certain cosy elements of the old, such as stable family and community life."

thank you, Daithí

It really pisses me off when people comment on Ireland, and especially the North and they haven't even been here before. :down:

I am really proud of where I come from. :up:

:heart: Ireland :heart:

Everytime I see the Paddywagon tour advertised/ tour bus I think of you Lu :yes:

I'm applying to Trinity College, DCU and NCAD for university. I cannot tell you how much I love Dublin - myself and a good friend are both hoping to go there for uni, and we can barely contain the grins on our face everytime we talk about it :D

I was really cold that day on the tour bus :grumpy: :lol:

I won't miss the weather here when I go to Spain

Beautifulday: My friend is studying at Trinity. I don't think she prepared herself with the cost of life in Dublin, she really loves studying there though. :up:

Last edited:
I love Ireland! Studied there for 2 months in undergrad, and would love to live there for awhile...

Ireland :love: :drool: :heart:

Lara Mullen said:

Beautifulday: My friend is studying at Trinity. I don't think she prepared herself with the cost of life in Dublin, she really loves studying there though. :up:

Lara Mullen - is he finding it to be really expensive? From what i've seen, it seems pretty cheap (well, cheaper than where I live, at least)

I've been to both Ireland and Northern Ireland. Great places with great people. A buddy of mine and I travelled around the island for about a month after college. He went there for the poetry reasons. I went there for U2 reasons. We both went there because it was Ireland. God has really blessed that place and used it for many great things. May he continue to bless it and its people.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
I am anxiously awaiting the day that I can return back to Ireland. I loved every single minute that I was there. It was the only time I actually cried when I left a place to come back home. Such wonderful people and a beautiful country. :heart:

I cried when I left Italy! I know what you mean. I have always wanted to live in Ireland. such a BEAUTIFUL country, great people, great music, culture, history....I've never been but I can't wait to go. I imagine I will also cry when I have to leave it behind.

I haven't made it to Ireland yet, though I am fascinated with it's history and culture. My mother went right before she had me and she still talks of how much she loved it. I am hoping to get an oppurtunity to study abroad there and could easily see myself wanting to live there.

:love: Ireland :love:

i went to dublin 4 times last year!
i :heart: that place soooo much

next time i go i'll drag myself out of Octagon Bar and check out some places in the rest of Ireland as well. apparently its gorgeous and i'm gonna be there in summer (U2 Croke Park here i come) so i've got to get out and see some countryside!

Here is a part of my wall dedicated to my Irish trip.

16928Iris_3-med.JPG

and here is another portion of my wall:

16928iris_1-med.JPG

I have several pieces of pottery that I want to display as well.

Last edited:
Re: ;)

achtung davy said:
hey lara! howd your exams go? i havent seen you in fubin ages!

hey daithi, yes it's been months!! The exams were alright, I had one last Saturday (they always give me a Saturday exam) it was pretty tragic. I have one more to go, it's my French oral exam next week. :up: How did yours go?

:love: Ireland :love:

Mr. Blu & myself ARE going to Ireland in 2007 for our 15th wedding anniversary. Even if Mr. Blu doesn't go, I've told him I am!! :lol: I've been in love with Ireland from the time I was a wee small lass and I can easily see myself getting over there & not ever wanting to return to the States. I've already warned the Mr. that he may need to prepare to return to the US without me - long enough to sell our house & cars & then return!!!

I envy all of you who've already been and can't wait 'til I can share my Ireland stories!! A pox on anyone who slags off the Emerald Isle!!!! :madspit:

I find it funny so many people want to come here. I'm really excited about leaving to live abroad in September :reject: :laugh:

I actually went to Ireland not because of U2. I went because my friend and I have a friend who lives near of Limerick. He invited my friend and I to visit and we jumped on the offer as soon as it came out of his mouth. :laugh:

It was also my first trip over the Atlantic, and it proved that it will not be my last. I am sure I will fall in love with pretty much any European country I want to visit.

I'm going to Amsterdam, France and Spain this year.

Iris, what pottery do you have from here? Did you collect any Belleek pieces? We have lots and lots of Belleek stuff in our house, some of it is quite oldand given to us by old relatives. I didn't know until last week that some of it is worth quite a lot of money.

Back
Top Bottom