iPod help-- transferring songs FROM iPod TO Hard drive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can't. You can only transfer from itunes to the ipod, not vice versa. There is a way to use your ipod as a hard drive to transfer songs from one computer to another but then you can't listen to the songs while on your ipod. Don't know how to do that though, you can look it up at the website.

But my guess is you have the songs on your ipod in audio form, and then you can never move them anywhere else.

yeah, I'm just really wary of installing third party stuff. Not to mention I've heard these things drain life from the iPod

Hey Lemon, hold the phone. You don't really need a third-party software.

Connect your iPod and go to Windows Explorer (make sure you can see hidden files; if not, go to Options and change). Click on the drive letter assigned to your iPod. You should see a folder called iPod _Control. Click on this and go to the folder Music. Now you should see a bunch more folders F##, where ## represent numbers. You will find your music within.

Good luck! :wink:

theres another way if you want to get music from someone elses compuer onto your ipod AND your home computer.

apparently if you treat your ipod as standard harddrive as opposed to a music player you can move files really easily.
so instead of putting music on your ipod through itunes or whatever music program you use if you go into "my computer" you'll see your ipod listed as a harddrive device - drop and drag any music folders you want into there so it stores them as folders and plain data as opposed to music files.
when you get home you can then pull the folders off the ipod harddrive onto your computer put them into itunes and then load them back onto your ipod as music.
its a bit of a long way round to do it and no use if you already have stuff on your ipod that you want off (i would go for ADecentMelody's way then but you'll have to rename and organsie everything) but its worth bearing in mind from now on.
if you ever want to get music from someone else then thats the way to do it in the future

I used CopyPod, and it worked nicely. I was a bit wary too, but I read a lot of good comments about it, and I haven't noticed anything funky on my computer or anything so far.

Back
Top Bottom