INXS Reality show on CBS!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A good way to kill the idea in it's tracks is just not to watch the show. If no one watches it will drop like a stone.

Exactly.

The only band with any sense in this kind of scenario is New Order. Ian Curtis could not be replaced so Joy Division is no longer.

blueeyedgirl said:
Exactly.

The only band with any sense in this kind of scenario is New Order. Ian Curtis could not be replaced so Joy Division is no longer.

The 25th anniversary of his death was Wednesday.

indra said:
The 25th anniversary of his death was Wednesday.
yeah
down.gif

Angela Harlem and others have pretty much said it all, but I think this is the most fucking disgusting thing.

I hope it sinks and the other INXS members never make another dime off those songs.

The horrible pity of this whole sorry mess was that PopMart in Sydney 1998 had a special tone because Bono remembered Michael (Sydney being more or less his home town and of course where he passed away).

There was bad weather hovering over Sydney Football Stadium and U2 played a bit of "Never Tear Us Apart" in the encore (thank you Axver's site for clearing up my confusion when they played it). As we were standing in the pouring rain the storm seemed to get worse and Bono asked the lights in the stadium to be turned off. We all stood in the dark and rain staring at the sky and the lightning that seemed to have come from nowhere. Now I don't believe much in "other worldly" things but that was so special and really sent shivers down the spine.

To think his band could come up with something so cheesy.... beggars belief really. (They really can't be short of a dollar)
:down:

It's an absolute disgrace to Australian music.

Possibly our best ever band is trying to replace the irreplacable. Pathetic.

As far as I'm concerned INXS are finished. Anything that is released by "INXS" from now on is not "INXS" at all in my book...

Stevens was a great stand-in and a marvellous frontman with Noiseworks, yet he was no Hutchy...

Hope the show is a massive FLOP and not a "New Sensation."

blueeyedgirl said:
The horrible pity of this whole sorry mess was that PopMart in Sydney 1998 had a special tone because Bono remembered Michael (Sydney being more or less his home town and of course where he passed away).

There was bad weather hovering over Sydney Football Stadium and U2 played a bit of "Never Tear Us Apart" in the encore (thank you Axver's site for clearing up my confusion when they played it). As we were standing in the pouring rain the storm seemed to get worse and Bono asked the lights in the stadium to be turned off. We all stood in the dark and rain staring at the sky and the lightning that seemed to have come from nowhere. Now I don't believe much in "other worldly" things but that was so special and really sent shivers down the spine.

To think his band could come up with something so cheesy.... beggars belief really. (They really can't be short of a dollar)
:down:

I remember that. It was creepy almost.
Music's loss is immense. There aren't enough words to describe how much I detest this whole concept. I'm partly inclined to hope Andrew Farriss speaks out. They were more than just friends. He was the backbone to this band. He gave so much, and he seems willing to let it become this.

Logically, I have no objections to this. These guys were put in a difficult situation by the lose of Hutcho. They still obviously want to make music and the whole band concept should hang solely on the identity of the high profile lead singers shoulders. Sometimes I wonder in these situations wether there would be the same outrage if the merely lost a drummer and replaced it. Midnight Oil switched bassists at the peak of there success (albiet in totally different circumstances), yet it didnt change any perceptions of there music. Extending that philosophy on, there should be no problems in allowing bands to change members and line ups without effecting the integrity of the band (regardless of profile and circumstance) so long as the bands intentions and ambitions are the same as what they were before (which I believe they are as they have shown every intention of playing music for music sake post Hutcho). Thats logical.

However, beside love, musical is possibly the most illogical thing on the face of the planet. Music, and the bands that create them in many ways form large parts of who we are. INXS it appears from reading this thread were one of those bands. And while they didn't do it to this 18 year old New Zealander, doesnt mean it didnt do it to others.

If for example my favourite band Crowded House were to endevour to find a replacement drummer now for Paul Hester - that would kill me. It would be so off for me. It would burn me. This is even though Paul walked out on the band in 1994 and they replaced him then. I had no problems then. Yet now it would totally kill me.

So I can totally see where you guys are coming from. I will still watch though.

timothius said:
Logically, I have no objections to this. These guys were put in a difficult situation by the lose of Hutcho. They still obviously want to make music and the whole band concept should hang solely on the identity of the high profile lead singers shoulders. Sometimes I wonder in these situations wether there would be the same outrage if the merely lost a drummer and replaced it. Midnight Oil switched bassists at the peak of there success (albiet in totally different circumstances), yet it didnt change any perceptions of there music. Extending that philosophy on, there should be no problems in allowing bands to change members and line ups without effecting the integrity of the band (regardless of profile and circumstance) so long as the bands intentions and ambitions are the same as what they were before (which I believe they are as they have shown every intention of playing music for music sake post Hutcho). Thats logical.

However, beside love, musical is possibly the most illogical thing on the face of the planet. Music, and the bands that create them in many ways form large parts of who we are. INXS it appears from reading this thread were one of those bands. And while they didn't do it to this 18 year old New Zealander, doesnt mean it didnt do it to others.

If for example my favourite band Crowded House were to endevour to find a replacement drummer now for Paul Hester - that would kill me. It would be so off for me. It would burn me. This is even though Paul walked out on the band in 1994 and they replaced him then. I had no problems then. Yet now it would totally kill me.

So I can totally see where you guys are coming from. I will still watch though.

Although I agree with you about replacing a band member in general (and can't help but laugh about your drummer analogy as my favorite band is now on it's fourth drummer :) ), I think what makes it so disgusting to most is how INXS are choosing to go about replacing Hutchence, especially in light of how he "left" the band. Perhaps if he'd gotten in a snit and walked out on them people would react differently, but this seems as if they are trampling the memory of someone who died tragically.

Well said Indra. I don't have any objections to INXS finding another singer and performing and recording again, I object to them doing it on a reality show, Aussie Idol style. What are they gonna do? Have a Guy Sebastian-type sing for them? :down:

indra said:

Although I agree with you about replacing a band member in general (and can't help but laugh about your drummer analogy as my favorite band is now on it's fourth drummer :) ), I think what makes it so disgusting to most is how INXS are choosing to go about replacing Hutchence, especially in light of how he "left" the band. Perhaps if he'd gotten in a snit and walked out on them people would react differently, but this seems as if they are trampling the memory of someone who died tragically.

My fave band (or one of) had 4 drummers too! Must be a lucky number!

Thats what I was trying to draw out with my analogy. Paulo (the drummer I was refering too) commited suicide on Easter Weekend. Prior to that I would've been more than open to him being replaced as drummer to record again (again even though he had left). It just isnt right.

So I hear how people are saying INXS isnt INXS without Hutcho. This is contradictory however to how I logically think which is If a band member chooses to leave a band it should not hamstring the others from continuuing on.

(Point of clarification: when we are talking about the "circumstances of his departure" is this suicide... or the "other one"?)

My mum lent me a book a while ago, called Coroner. It was written (with help) by Derek Hand, the NSW state coroner at the time of Michael's death. I'll painstakingly type out the exact excerpt in which he debunks all this foul play and murder conspiracy garbage if anyone is interested. I'd not truly bnelieved anyone thought this until a year or so ago in another thread on this topic, someone idiot in here I cant recall who it was, but if they wish to step up I'll call them such again :) ) replied vehemently and so blatantly ignorantly that it had to be murder or the result of some autoerotic suicide. That's great, if the media has the power and knowledge to rule on such bullshit. But as they dont, we can hopefully not entertain those ideas.

Angela Harlem said:
My mum lent me a book a while ago, called Coroner. It was written (with help) by Derek Hand, the NSW state coroner at the time of Michael's death. I'll painstakingly type out the exact excerpt in which he debunks all this foul play and murder conspiracy garbage if anyone is interested. I'd not truly bnelieved anyone thought this until a year or so ago in another thread on this topic, someone idiot in here I cant recall who it was, but if they wish to step up I'll call them such again :) ) replied vehemently and so blatantly ignorantly that it had to be murder or the result of some autoerotic suicide. That's great, if the media has the power and knowledge to rule on such bullshit. But as they dont, we can hopefully not entertain those ideas.

Autoerotic suicide is the other common one. Murder for me is a ridiculous proposition in that case.

This thread has turned me against the show now... I'll still watch but. :huh:

So conflicted.

Murder has to be out of the question, as Kym Wilson, the actress, was the last person to see him alive, and she left his room in the early hours and the time of death was well after that.

Dont feel too conflicted though, your example of CH is interesting. They appear to have more integrity than we all seemed to think INXS once had, but given Paul's departure from this life, if they do ever regroup I would almost guarantee it wouldn't be in a similar fashion to INXS.

Angela Harlem said:
Murder has to be out of the question, as Kym Wilson, the actress, was the last person to see him alive, and she left his room in the early hours and the time of death was well after that.

Dont feel too conflicted though, your example of CH is interesting. They appear to have more integrity than we all seemed to think INXS once had, but given Paul's departure from this life, if they do ever regroup I would almost guarantee it wouldn't be in a similar fashion to INXS.

I guess they're like banana's and apples. I mean Crowded House were very much a club band, played the odd state theatre gig and that. Only at the very end did we really see what a huge stadium act the could've (and really should've had). INXS were a pretty big stadium act and we're more successful at theyre peak (from what I understand at least).

I think the major point, which I missed at the start, was that it's not so much the replacement of Hutch... but the fact they're getting paid to do it. (How I overlooked it so easily, I'll never know). All bands face backlash, and rightly so, for chasing the money and not the music. There are countless examples of U2.com was a manifestation of this philosophy, when Shihad changed there name to Pacifier was another. People doing these things for all the wrong motivations.

Anyways on an aside. INXS and The Crowdies only came in contact once from what I can decipher. It was at a charity gig in Sydney in the early 90's, double billing. Apparently it was something to behold. Getting hit with the showmanship of INXS and the friendly banterish nature of the Crowdies. They even snippeted What You Need in Chocolate Cake :drool:.

Charity gig? I wonder if I was there. How bad does this sound lol. I've only been to a few, but there were a few really big ones in the early 90s but the billings I am now not recalling too well. One for the bushfires, one for Dr Chang's heart foundation...and there was a 3rd I went to which I cant recall. The other one had the Bloodhound Gang.. and Bush. :drool:

I think CH and INXS both came from similar places, and we dont or didn't expect that they'd sell out like this, so to speak. It's incredibly disappointing. This whole thing really has me bummed. I'll stop replying in here though lol.

Angela Harlem said:
Charity gig? I wonder if I was there. How bad does this sound lol. I've only been to a few, but there were a few really big ones in the early 90s but the billings I am now not recalling too well.

I think CH and INXS both came from similar places, and we dont or didn't expect that they'd sell out like this, so to speak. It's incredibly disappointing. This whole thing really has me bummed. I'll stop replying in here though lol.

It was at the "Concert For Life", Centennial Park 28th March 1992. :wink:. I have no idea what it was as a) I wasn't in the country at the time and b) I was 6. I have the Crowdies portion on CD, but I would like to hear the INXS part. Were you at this one?

Yup last paragraph is so true. It's wierd that somone from the vintage of The Crowdies, The Hunna's & The Oil's would trade love for money.

timothius said:

It was at the "Concert For Life", Centennial Park 28th March 1992. :wink:. I have no idea what it was as a) I wasn't in the country at the time and b) I was 6. I have the Crowdies portion on CD, but I would like to hear the INXS part. Were you at this one?

Yup last paragraph is so true. It's wierd that somone from the vintage of The Crowdies, The Hunna's & The Oil's would trade love for money.

Yup, I think I was at that one. This is terrible that I cant even remember lol. I have a shirt from that anyway, it was the Dr Chang appeal which was put on either after he was murdered, or when Lady Di passed on. He and her were good mates apparently, she was a big supporter of his institute and research.
You've got it spot on re: H&C, CH, etc. All these bands had different levels and types of success, but all came from the same place. While we 'adopted' the Crowdies from you guys against your wishes lol, those decades of Australian music were inbred in a really positive way. Some might say I'm getting too emotional over this in that it isn't right to get so irritated but they're all bands that we were and are so proud of. Even while you might be younger, people of your age group can still see this.
I promised to stop bringing this thread up now lol. I'll leave it be again. The proof shall be in the puddin' as INXS embark on perhaps THE greatest mistake they will ever make.

Back
Top Bottom