international affairs v. political science

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pianorocker

Acrobat
I guess I'm trying to figure out the difference between the two subject areas. Because my university offers political science, but not international affairs.

Anyone?

Read about the courses they offer, then decide.

Presumably, political science covers a wide range of topics including statistics, U.S. politics, history of political theories and ideas, and the like - whereas international affairs might focus on topics like international development and international organisations.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
Read about the courses they offer, then decide.

Presumably, political science covers a wide range of topics including statistics, U.S. politics, history of political theories and ideas, and the like - whereas international affairs might focus on topics like international development and international organisations.

:up:

It'll largely depend on the university, but my guess would be that one which doesn't offer majors in both international affairs AND political science would incorporate some aspects of both in the political science degree. I majored in poli sci at university and that's how mine worked, at least.

I still like my explanation the best.... :)

It's the most fun anyway! :D

you guys are close. both subject areas will cover theoretical issues and historical/current situations. political science deals mostly with comparitive politics, electoral politics, government, political ideologies, and public policy. international relations/studies deals more with international behavior (realism, idealism, etc.), foreign governments, international actors (governmental and non-governmental), global interaction in times of war, global interaction in times of peace, the international market, etc. i'm doing my thesis in political science right now...and they added international relations as a major after i had already begun college. but i think political science leads you more towards american politics/american law whereas international studies leads you towards international law (ambassadors, translators, work with international organizations -- UN, NATO, etc.) and even the military. although i think both are excellent ways to be prepared for law school.

Thanks so much, Anirban, for that explanation. It really does clarify things for me. =)

I wonder if I could convince them to make an international affairs/relations major....heh.:wink:

At my university, Political Science tried to cover all aspects of the study (though seemed to stay much more domestic). International Affairs (or International Politics as my major was titled) focused specifically focused on international relations and such.

Regardless, I think they're all really good and interesting majors. I still really love what I got my degree in :up:

I actually just found out that there is an international affairs major at my university...it's just not as visible as political science because it is more of a multidisciplinary major than political science. :hyper: I don't know if I'm going to switch majors, or try to double major.

Yeah, it does depend on each University. Sometimes International Affairs is a sub-category of Poli Sci, meaning more focus on international stuff as opposed to Political Theory, Political Economy, etc. But some places might have a different, mulit-disciplinary program, with a mix of Poli Sci, History, Economics, Sociology, etc., but focussing on international relations.

My advice would be to go for a multi-disciplinary option if there is one that interest you. IMO it's the best way to understand things fully, it gives you more angles of analysis. I am doing a major in International Development Studies (multi-disciplinary), and a minor in International Relations (sub-category of Poli Sci ) and I love it!:)

Back
Top Bottom