Interference's Top Ten Bands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
um no.

I think you have to listen to some of their 60s stuff, Zootlesque.

Last edited:
U2Man said:

I could have put John Lennon as a solo artist on it too, but that would have been unfair since he is already represented.

I put Ryan Adams and Whiskeytown down separately. :shrug:

U2Man said:
um no.

I think you have to listen to some of their 60s stuff, Zootlesque.

I have, actually. One time I made this compilation by choosing select tracks out of my friend's '40 Licks' set. It has Satisfaction, Get Off Of My Cloud, Mother's Little Helper and many of the late 60s stuff like She's A Rainbow, Street Fightin' Man, Gimme Shelter etc. It's just that I never seem to be in a mood to listen to their music. :huh: I do enjoy those songs when they come on the radio, though.

Dismantled said:
why don't you post them and see:wink:

umh... let's see

10. A Norther Chorus
9. Ryan Adams
8. Final Fantasy (Owen Pallett)
7. Patrick Wolf
6. Wilco
5. 65daysofstatic
4. Super Furry Animals
3. Interpol
2. U2
1. Godspeed You Black Emperor

wow! no Xiu Xiu, Explosions in the Sky, Sigur Ros, Cursive or Iron & Wine, 10 is not enough

1. phil collins
2. metallica
3. bette middler
4. acdc
5. talking heads
6. embrace
7. go-go's
8. bjovi
9. u2
10. smithereens

1. U2
2. Bowie
3. Morrissey/The Smiths
4. Stone Roses
5. Radiohead
6. Oasis
7. Echo & The Bunnymen
8. Kate Bush
9. The Who
10.Snow Patrol

bobbyhewson said:
1. phil collins
2. metallica
3. bette middler
4. acdc
5. talking heads
6. embrace
7. go-go's
8. bjovi
9. u2
10. smithereens

hey you should see the southpark episode timmy 2000, it has a lot of phil collins in it (season 4)

Last edited:
1. The Beatles
2. Led Zeppelin
3. U2

The first three are basically tied though. :der:

4. Aerosmith
5. Pink Floyd
6. Beck
7. David Bowie
8. Radiohead
9. Franz Ferdinand
10. The Kinks

(Oasis, Steely Dan, Def Leppard, Blur, and Randy Newman all come close. :drool: )

Last edited:
1. VAST
2. Depeche Mode
3. Self
4. Radiohead
5. Nine Inch Nails
6. KMFDM
7. Queen
8. The Smiths
9. The Beatles
10. U2

Quote:
Originally posted by bobbyhewson
1. phil collins
2. metallica
3. bette middler
4. acdc
5. talking heads
6. embrace
7. go-go's
8. bjovi
9. u2
10. smithereens

hey you should see the southpark episode timmy 2000, it has a lot of phil collins in it (season 4)

Last edited by 00Kevin on 07-23-2006 at 08:09 AM

i definitely need to check this out!!

I'm declaring this thread dead since it fell all the way to page 2. Any new lists will not be counted from here on. I'll ahve the results shortly in a new thread

Ok, this is just personal preference, not pretending this is a list of the Top 10 greatest bands of all-time...just my top 10.

1) U2
2) REM
3) Led Zeppelin
4) Pearl Jam
5) Catherine Wheel
6) Rush
7) Beatles (Yes, I like Rush better than the Beatles)
8) Doves
9) 10,000 Maniacs
10) The Sundays

My Top 10 Artists:

1. The Beatles
2. U2
3. Velvet Underground
4. R.E.M.
5. Pearl Jam
6. Smashing Pumpkins
7. Belle and Sebastian
8. John Lennon (Solo)
9. Bob Dylan
10. Sufjan Stevens

Nice to see a Built to Spill mention earlier. For posterity, I felt like posting my list…

1. Apostle of Hustle
2. Sigur Rós
3. The Music
4. Arcade Fire
5. Led Zeppelin
6. Radiohead
7. Explosions In The Sky
8. U2
9. The Who
10. Ambulance Ltd

Now, this set of artists does not reflect my entire listening spectrum, but that is the limitation when one only considers their top ten. Some have made just one album, but does that matter? Buena Vista Social Club, Daft Punk, The Magnetic Fields, K-OS, Men Without Hats, The Beatles, Rush (not really), Mono, Of Montreal, The Fiery Furnaces, Salif Keita, Stevie Ray Vaughn, or Rachmaninoff, might make up my choices on some other Tuesday. I promise to never name drop again (after the end of this post). I am sure that I can name artists that no one has heard of, but I am sure a lot of others could too.

My hope is that the following is a civil “editorial” response to the indie/commercial posturing that plagues this forum constantly… give it a read, since it’s comforting to read things you already know.

Call me a musical luddite or traditionalist, but I would prefer to listen to Zeppelin, Sabbath, or early Chris Cornell over bands that make a buffet out of their stylings, like Wolf-Mother or WhiteSnake (yeah, you’re right, David Coverdale probably didn’t wean off Soundgarden). I choose to listen to the Kinks over the La’s, and Muddy Waters over Jeff Beck. Yeah, I did just recklessly namedrop in that last bit, but to prove a point, not to impress with eclectic comparisons. If you gave me the choice of seeing the Pyramids at Giza or the rip-offs in Las Vegas, of course I will go with the original (but, we can all agree that both versions are commercial sellouts :sexywink:). That being said…

Call me a prog-rock, post-rock, beat-driven, anti-lyrical pop fan, but a respect for history and tradition does not preclude me from looking at new artists or new things in general. Sales, the amount of people in the clubs, the amount of monetary advantages some New York band’s fathers gave them, or the independent-looking graphic on the CD cover simply can’t be the only determining factors that dictate what people listen to- on either side of the equation. Basing your associations of tastes on a small set of genres that you feel comfortable with divulging in public can only sustain your listening patience for so long… until either you are just plain miserable, or you find a personal balance that accommodates the familiar music you heard on long road trips as a kid and the anti-establishment, room-locking music you cherished as a teen. And at the end of the day your list might look pretty bland, like mine, but is that due to a lack of taste and consideration or is it due to a developing and refining of taste? I’m willing to side with the latter. Personal experiences are probably the most important part in the molding of taste, and a lot of folks probably absorbed the oldies of rock and other genres at childhood. But should their list of favorites include those same bands their whole life? I hope not. I’m looking at you frequenters of the Alice Cooper cabaret show.

Call me a purist, but don't mean it. I’d rather be a pluralist. At least it sounds more inclusive, and the surfaces are the most important things, right? Let's embrace whatever form of anything we friggin' want to. If you think this post is meant to target you, it probably doesn’t... it's targetting all the Dirty Dianas out there.

Yeah, I just referenced the Jackson catalogue. I hope that makes me cool in someone's books?

Steve Stevens For Life!

:sexywink:

MacPhistoPT said:
The Stones are probably the only classic band I can't enjoy :|

I totally agree with you there. I can't stand Mick Jagger and I think there sound is awful, of course I'm entitled to my own opinion and don't really care that millions of people love those wrinkly old rockstars but it isn't for me.

Other people scoff when I say that I like Creed and Savage Garden but that is part of having an opinion.

I knew this thread would have some f---ing traction. Well done, all of you.

After my first list, I had a horrible revelation. Everyone on my list was (a) white, (b) male, or (c) in the "rock" genre.

So here's my rough list of favorite musical people that are (a) black or Latino or just not white males, (b) female (and often white, okay), or (c) not in the rock genre.

Michael Franti & Spearhead
Afro-Celt Sound System
Prince
10,000 Maniacs/Natalie Merchant
Ani DiFranco
Joni Mitchell
Marvin Gaye
The Staples Singers
Sarah McLachlan
Madonna
Lone Justice/Maria McKee

Sorry the results are taking me a while, but it's pretty time consuming tallying up all the points and which band got how many points. I'm trying my best, but i'm not dedicating my life to tallying the results so hopefully by the end of tomorrow maybe, i still have a while to go but i'm working on it.

Back
Top Bottom