Interference's Favorite Movies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LMP I'm giving you the heads up now that I am def. changing my list...I can't believe some of the things I forgot

And I gotta thank the people who had a Clockwork Orange on their list for finally making me pick it up and watch it...really interesting so far...

namkcuR said:
I am utterly disappointed in the lack of American History X in this thread.

Just an incredible film.

The story is incredible, the acting is SUPERB(Edward Norton was straight robbed of an Oscar that year, 1998), the filming is phenomenal(flashbacks in b&w and present in color), the direction is phenomenal, everything is brilliant.

I think the word 'powerful' is a word that is tossed around too often when describing films, but in this case, it's completely accurate. This film is absolutely one of the most powerful I've seen, in the truest sense of the word.

I know this is all subjective, so I'm not going to sit here and say you're all wrong for not including it - that would be silly.

But I am surprised that no one has included it yet.

:tsk:

I still haven't seen it, so :shrug:

Edward Norton's one of my favorite actors and I'll definitely try and pick this one up after True Romance, Jackie Brown, and A Clockwork Orange.

I saw it. I liked it. It was good. It's not a top 25 or top 50 film for me, however. I like Edward Norton a lot, too.

As for Jedi vs. Sith, it's almost a dead heat for me. The Ewoks still bug me to this day, but, I still love the film...the Emperor taunting Luke at the battle rages on and above Endor, love it..."you....want....this.." "oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive". Kills me. That being said, Sith had the weight of 2 disappointments on its shoulders, and did not disappoint. Some cheesey moments/dialogue for sure, but, it was pretty damned good. If forced to choose, I choose Jedi but just slightly.

1.Forrest Gump
2.American History X
3.Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
4.Back To The Future II
5.Back To The Future
6.Star Wars Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi
7.Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
8.Home Alone
9.What About Bob?
10.Die Hard With A Vengenace
11.Home Alone 2
12.Armageddon
13.Star Wars Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith
14.Face/Off
15.Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
16.Titanic
17.National Lampoon's Vacation
18.National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
19.Jurassic Park
20.Back To The Future III
21.Rocky
22.Rush Hour
23.High Fidelity
24.Almost Famous
25.Karate Kid
26.Liar Liar
27.Vanilla Sky
28.Mystic River
29.Little Miss Sunshine
30.Office Space
31.Life As A House
32.Donnie Darko
33.Meet The Parents
34.Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
35.Forget Paris
36.Notting Hill
37.Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory
38.Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
39.Something's Gotta Give
40.Neverending Story

No spoken words said:
I saw it. I liked it. It was good. It's not a top 25 or top 50 film for me, however. I like Edward Norton a lot, too.

As for Jedi vs. Sith, it's almost a dead heat for me. The Ewoks still bug me to this day, but, I still love the film...the Emperor taunting Luke at the battle rages on and above Endor, love it..."you....want....this.." "oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive". Kills me. That being said, Sith had the weight of 2 disappointments on its shoulders, and did not disappoint. Some cheesey moments/dialogue for sure, but, it was pretty damned good. If forced to choose, I choose Jedi but just slightly.

:up:

Best Palpy line though:

"I've been waiting a long time for this... my little... green... friend."

He dominated Sith.

namkcuR said:
I am utterly disappointed in the lack of American History X in this thread.

Just an incredible film.

Edward Norton's performance in that film is one of the most memorable and electrifying pieces of acting I've ever seen. I feel though that the film itself is not quite as great as its leading man. Its biggest weakness for me was that I didn't quite buy Norton's character's moral turnaround - to me it felt too rushed and sudden and the movie suffered somewhat as a result.

The Palp also comes through in Sith when he and Annakin are watching Cirque D Soleil or whatever the fuck is going on in that crazy bubble. The story about Darth Plagueis the wise, the way he tells it, creepy stuff.

Saracene said:

Edward Norton's performance in that film is one of the most memorable and electrifying pieces of acting I've ever seen. I feel though that the film itself is not quite as great as its leading man. Its biggest weakness for me was that I didn't quite buy Norton's character's moral turnaround - to me it felt too rushed and sudden and the movie suffered somewhat as a result.

Not to mention the basketball scenes with Norton. Strains credibility. :) Is anyone going to mention the scene that takes place on the curb??? Ughhhh.

No spoken words said:
The Palp also comes through in Sith when he and Annakin are watching Cirque D Soleil or whatever the fuck is going on in that crazy bubble. The story about Darth Plagueis the wise, the way he tells it, creepy stuff.

That's probably the best scene in all of the prequels that required acting. I love how he's stringing Anakin along the entire time, while the audience has probably figured out he was the one who killed Plagueis.

"The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural."

:crack:

Saracene said:

Rushed and sudden? But the moral turnaround was supposed to have taken place over the THREE YEARS that Derek Vinyard spent in prison. The 'present' of the film is the day that he gets released from prison after three years. I don't think three years is 'rushed' at all in this context.

He says unnatural nice and slow. Scary.

You're right, that scene actually required some acting...thankfully, there was a good actor in the scene.

Still thinking about Jedi v Sith. Sith has the slaughtering of the Jedi, and Annakin killing little kids. That's dark stuff. Poor little Jedis.

I love threads like this that remind me, though I need no reminder, of how big of a dork I am. :)

It's not like we're already on a message board or anything, I think it's alright :wink:

My biggest gripe about Sith was Anakin's quick turnaround and Mace's death.

The best thing would've been Mace getting his ass kicked and retreating, then later when Yoda and Palpy fight and Yoda's in a jam, Mace comes out of fucking nowhere and sacrifices himself to save Yoda.

That would've been badass, plus I'm a sucker for the "Unlikely guy showing up and saving everyone's asses" plot quirk, which Han does in A New Hope.

On the subject of Revenge Of The Sith...I have to say that, for me, the scenes in which Palps/Sideous and Yoda are fighting their dual in the middle of the senate chamber is possibly the best cinematic moment of the prequel trilogy...by cinematic, I just mean visual, eye candy, being able to enhance the impact of the scene just by the way it looks and sounds. The part where the platform in the middle of the chamber rises with Palps and Yoda dualing on it WHILE it rises is just cinematic bliss.

However, even more than that, I really think that the scenes in the last ten minutes of the film, where all the Jedi are systematically executed, and Yoda goes into exile, and so and so forth, is the most moving part of the prequel trilogy. For two decades, we had all seen the OT present to us how the Jedi would rise again, but we never got to see how they fell in the first place, until this film.

I think it was really important for this film to get a few things right - the fabled Obi-Wan/Anakin dual, the fall of the Jedi, Anakin's transformation into Vader, Palpatine/Sideous taking control of the Republic and making it into his Galactic Empire....really, the first two prequels served as a setup for this film. It's the most important film of the prequel trilogy.

Agreed on the quick turnaround of Annakin's:

I'm a Jedi.

I'm pissed.

I'm confused.

I will murder children.

Not as abrupt as Ed Norton's rehab whilst in prison, but still. :)

I like that sort of scene, too, but, lack thereof does not bother me. Mace showing up in Clones with the Jedi was enough Mace badassness for me.

To me, the prequels are like making PB+J sandwiches with half a jar of peanut butter.

You're afraid you'll run out of peanut butter so the first 2 sandwiches don't use very much, and then you realize you have tons of peanut butter left and use it all with the 3rd sandwich. In the end, the 3rd sandwich tastes better.

and namkcuR, you're 100% right about Sith.

No spoken words said:
I like that sort of scene, too, but, lack thereof does not bother me. Mace showing up in Clones with the Jedi was enough Mace badassness for me.

"THIS PARTY'S OVER!"

I wanted to see him go down in a blaze of glory though, not force-pushed out of a window.

No spoken words said:
Not as abrupt as Ed Norton's rehab whilst in prison, but still. :)

You haven't answered my question....how is three years rushed for that turnaround? Getting raped in the ass, making friends with a black guy and realizing there's nothing wrong with it, hearing that your little brother on the outside might be going down the same path that you went down....I just don't understand why it's so hard to believe that these things could seriously change your outlook on life.

I concur with namkcuR. Which is a first, but, these things do happen.

I knew I liked Sith a lot when I saw it for a 2nd time and enjoyed it even more. "Moving" is the right word for the final sequences.

namkcuR said:

You haven't answered my question....how is three years rushed for that turnaround? Getting raped in the ass, making friends with a black guy and realizing there's nothing wrong with it, hearing that your little brother on the outside might be going down the same path that you went down....I just don't understand why it's so hard to believe that these things could seriously change your outlook on life.

Brother, I'm not the one that made the comment in the first place, that was Saracene. I actually agree with you, and the comment you quoted was sarcasm.

LOL BRUTHA!

20061127-desmond.jpg

No spoken words said:

Brother, I'm not the one that made the comment in the first place, that was Saracene. I actually agree with you, and the comment you quoted was sarcasm.

Sorry, my bad. It's late. I'm tired.

My apologies.

No spoken words said:
Fucking Desmond.

Now that's a show that's jumped the shark, gotten back on the boat, jumped it again, and decided to become awesome again.

I've never had a weirder experience trying to enjoy a television show, but that's neither here nor there.

No, it's here and now, now.

Agreed again. Loved it (season 1 on DVD). Loved it more (season 2 on dvd right after watching season 1). Hated it (Start of season 3). Liked it (after the hiatus). Disliked it (a few eps after the return from the hiatus). And then was in awe of it at the end. (The last few eps were good, the very last one was insanely great).

I'm going to rent all of the DVDs this summer and watch them after I get through Galactica.

The finale was amazing, plus I love their plan on how to end the show.

To relate it back to Star Wars, rumor has it that Lucasfilm is trying to recruit writers from Galactica, Heroes, and Lost for the new live action SW show that's going to come out in '09. That would be fucking awesome.

As long as he does not recruit himself to write, it'll be great.

I watched season 1 of Galactica, and liked it, but season 2 did not do it for me, and I bowed out. Beav does not shut up about it, and despite his being a diseas.....um, scratch that....and, since Beav is so amazingly great, I'm going to give the show another chance.

namkcuR said:
Rushed and sudden? But the moral turnaround was supposed to have taken place over the THREE YEARS that Derek Vinyard spent in prison. The 'present' of the film is the day that he gets released from prison after three years. I don't think three years is 'rushed' at all in this context.

I realise that it took three years; but for me the problem is not that I think that three years is too short a time. It's the portrayal of those three years and Derek's reversal that took place during that time that feels very rushed. I just didn't think that the film did a good job of conveying the passage of time and Derek's personal transformation. I suppose it's hard to explain something when it's mostly a "feeling" that things don't quite gel - all I know is that it didn't feel convincing for me.

Last edited:
No spoken words said:
As long as he does not recruit himself to write, it'll be great.

I watched season 1 of Galactica, and liked it, but season 2 did not do it for me, and I bowed out. Beav does not shut up about it, and despite his being a diseas.....um, scratch that....and, since Beav is so amazingly great, I'm going to give the show another chance.

I hope Lucas lets them use real characters, like Boba Fett, Palpy, Tarkin, or maybe a Vader cameo. Hell, what about a young Lando Calrissian kicking ass?

You know, characters that are relevant.

Back
Top Bottom