Interference's 50 Favorite Films

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mother: Navin, it's your birthday, and it's time you knew. You're not our natural-born child.
Navin R. Johnson: I'm not? You mean I'm gonna STAY this color?

LemonMacPhisto said:
David Lynch is talented, but I've never really gotten into any of his work. He's a little too out there for me.

People either love him or have no idea what to make of him. :wink: It is wild to think that his directing skills have never been recognized with an Oscar. His films might be challenging but no one can deny that they are spectacularly filmed.

I'm a big Lynch fan, to the point that I like Dune, a film he disassociated himself with. I'd rather watch bad Lynch than most of what Hollywood churns out. I think he's just out of my top 10, maybe he's top 15, but I'm a fan. Also, the final episode ever of Twin Peaks was directed by Lynch after a long absence from the show, and that's one of the best hours of TV I've ever seen, in a genre that is usually more producer driven than director driven.

Lila64 said:
Mother: Navin, it's your birthday, and it's time you knew. You're not our natural-born child.
Navin R. Johnson: I'm not? You mean I'm gonna STAY this color?

MY SPECIAL PURPOSE!

Screwtape2 said:

People either love him or have no idea what to make of him. :wink: It is wild to think that his directing skills have never been recognized with an Oscar. His films might be challenging but no one can deny that they are spectacularly filmed.

True, although I didn't like the style of Mulholland Drive very much.

Same with Wes Anderson and Tim Burton, well about not being recognized by the Academy. I don't think they've even been nominated.

1st I loved Marisa Tomei in my cousin vinny...I was happy she won :reject:

2nd I Love David Lynch I had forgotten about Wild at Heart...excellent movie...and Mullholland Drive ...Loved it!!! On a recent trip to LA driving on Mullholland dr. was a priority! :wink:

Navin R. Johnson: Good Lord - I've heard about this - cat juggling! Stop! Stop! Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! Good. Father, could there be a God that would let this happen?

Don't think I saw Mulholland Dr. Being from L.A., I get that movie confused with Laurel Canyon :wink: (L.A. people will get that)

No spoken words said:
I'm a big Lynch fan, to the point that I like Dune, a film he disassociated himself with. I'd rather watch bad Lynch than most of what Hollywood churns out. I think he's just out of my top 10, maybe he's top 15, but I'm a fan. Also, the final episode ever of Twin Peaks was directed by Lynch after a long absence from the show, and that's one of the best hours of TV I've ever seen, in a genre that is usually more producer driven than director driven.

Dune had a lot of great things going. It really should have lasted 4-5 hours because the depth of the story. It is okay just the same. The final episode of Twin Peaks is amazing. Every frame in the Black Lodge is chilling. :hyper: I'm going to watch that the next chance I get.

Screwtape2 said:

Dune had a lot of great things going. It really should have lasted 4-5 hours because the depth of the story. It is okay just the same. The final episode of Twin Peaks is amazing. Every frame in the Black Lodge is chilling. :hyper: I'm going to watch that the next chance I get.

I can barely sit through a 3 hour movie, much less a 4 hour one :crazy:

Dune was hella cool though. :up:

If it was split into two 2 hour movies, that would've been better, at least for me. Maybe end the first one with Paul Atreides' father getting killed and whatnot, I don't know.

LemonMacPhisto said:

True, although I didn't like the style of Mulholland Drive very much.

Same with Wes Anderson and Tim Burton, well about not being recognized by the Academy. I don't think they've even been nominated.

Most of the great directors of the past generation or two haven't been recognized. Maybe the Oscar people don't like outside the box directors. How can you not appreciate stuff like Life Aquatic and Rushmore?! :huh:

LemonMacPhisto said:

I can barely sit through a 3 hour movie, much less a 4 hour one :crazy:

Dune was hella cool though. :up:

If it was split into two 2 hour movies, that would've been better, at least for me. Maybe end the first one with Paul Atreides' father getting killed and whatnot, I don't know.

That would have been a great idea. A lot of films from books should be in mini-series form. The only problem is mini-series don't get big enough budgets.

Screwtape2 said:

That would have been a great idea. A lot of films from books should be in mini-series form. The only problem is mini-series don't get big enough budgets.

Unless they're these Lord of the Rings/Harry Potter/Narnia-esque epics.

Did you like the Dune mini-series?

Screwtape2 said:

Most of the great directors of the past generation or two haven't been recognized. Maybe the Oscar people don't like outside the box directors. How can you not appreciate stuff like Life Aquatic and Rushmore?! :huh:

Exactly. This scene is reason enough for Tim Burton to be an Oscar-winner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Owv79xVyrY

Last edited:
Screwtape2 said:

I've read every Dune book, including the prequels and the new books that pick up after Chapterhouse: Dune. I'm a fan, let's say that. :) The film, while a mess, is still mesmerizing to me. It helps that I know what the fuck is going on, though. Agreed, a 4-5 hour film, like Sci-Fi did, would have been best. Actually, there is a 3.5 or 4 hour version out there somewhere, I believe.

Also, yes! The Black Lodge scenes are chilling indeed. That last shot of Cooper's Doppleganger grabbing him from behind, oy vey! And, of course, Cooper's last lines in the episode are chilling as well.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Unless they're these Lord of the Rings/Harry Potter/Narnia-esque epics.

Did you like the Dune mini-series?

Exactly. This scene is reason enough for Tim Burton to be an Oscar-winner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Owv79xVyrY

I didn't like the Dune mini-series. It lacked all the good things Lynch had in the original film. I much prefered the actors in the film as well.

I love those moments of absurdity in Tim Burton films. If any other director did those things they'd be laughed out of the industry.

Patrick Stewart gets these 2 lines:

"G-ds, what a monster"

and

"ATOMICS!!!"

Sting gets:

"All I see....is an Atriedes I want to kill"

and

"I will kill him!!!"

Good stuff for both.

No spoken words said:

Also, yes! The Black Lodge scenes are chilling indeed. That last shot of Cooper's Doppleganger grabbing him from behind, oy vey! And, of course, Cooper's last lines in the episode are chilling as well.

No one is better when it comes to silence...or strobelight. :wink: The scene with Laura's doppelganger is just spooky. Twin Peaks was probably the most influential show of the past 20 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9x9QecPbyA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbzJ91JkvEA

My favorite scene of the whole series, though, is another one directed by Lynch. In the episode where you find out that Leland Palmer killed Laura, with help from Bob....the scene where Leland/Bob is killing Maddy, with the cuts to Cooper at that bar, watching the woman sing, then he sees the vision of the tall guy, telling him that "it's happening again"....yikes. Great scene, the violence juxtaposed with everyone happy at that bar.

No spoken words said:
My favorite scene of the whole series, though, is another one directed by Lynch. In the episode where you find out that Leland Palmer killed Laura, with help from Bob....the scene where Leland/Bob is killing Maddy, with the cuts to Cooper at that bar, watching the woman sing, then he sees the vision of the tall guy, telling him that "it's happening again"....yikes. Great scene, the violence juxtaposed with everyone happy at that bar.

That is such a beautiful scene with Julee Cruise singing the beautiful World Spins. My favorite scene is when Leyland is dying and realizes he killed his daughter. It is so moving when Cooper tells him to go into the light. The music in that scene is so beautiful.

Screwtape2 said:

Speaking of which, David Lynch always has the best actors in bit parts. Twin Peaks:FWWM alone has Jack Bauer, David Bowie and Chris Issak. :wink:

I need to see Twin Peaks the TV series, but I'll probably stay away from the movie. I've heard it's pretty rough.

Screwtape2 said:

That is such a beautiful scene with Julee Cruise singing the beautiful World Spins. My favorite scene is when Leyland is dying and realizes he killed his daughter. It is so moving when Cooper tells him to go into the light. The music in that scene is so beautiful.

Yeah, that's a nice scene...right after the violence of him bashing his head against the cell door. It's truly amazing what a talented director can do, in any medium.

LMP, you little bastard, go get the Pilot and the rest of Season 1 and watch it already.

all the scenes with "Bob" ...some of the creepiest scariest shit I can think of...it stayed with me for a long time after

Like I've said before, I simply couldn't watch Mullholland Drive. Everything about it just turned me off completely. I'm not denying the man's talent, but I know I'll never be a fan unfortunately.

Daddysgonnapay said:
all the scenes with "Bob" ...some of the creepiest scariest shit I can think of...it stayed with me for a long time after

Apparently Bob was played by a guy who was part of the crew, originally. Scary SOB.

spice.jpg

No spoken words said:

Yeah, that's a nice scene...right after the violence of him bashing his head against the cell door. It's truly amazing what a talented director can do, in any medium.

LMP, you little bastard, go get the Pilot and the rest of Season 1 and watch it already.

I have it on the Netflix queue right after the Sergio Leone "Man with No Name" Trilogy.

Back
Top Bottom