Interference World Cup thread #3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cole was impressive in the first half. Joe Cole, I mean. Didn't watch the second because it was 4 bloody am.

Really happy for Sweden though. They're my 2nd team this World Cup and I hope they do well. Be tough against the Germans though.

Tomorrow , well in some places already today we got games for the kill and also on thursday , crazy to see Italy X Czech, crazy to see who plays Argentina and Brazil , looks like the big emotions are left for now .

Argentina plays tomorrow... :drool:

Although we will be saving several players for the round of 16.

Still, it would be nice to get a win.

bono_man2002 said:

That Match started at 5am here :yikes:....I liked the 2002 world cup, it was much more sleep friendly.

Back in 2002, there were some matches where I stayed up until 1 am local time to watch.

There were some other matches where I got up at 4 am to watch.

I had a very messed up sleep cycle that summer.

bono_man2002 said:

That Match started at 5am here :yikes:....I liked the 2002 world cup, it was much more sleep friendly.

It's great over here in the U.S. - all the matches are done by the end of the afternoon, so I can come home and then watch whatever I taped when I want to.

1stepcloser said:
I don't agree with everyone who says Sweden deserved to win because there's this thing called a 'first half'. Anyone familiar with this? If my memory serves me right, England were the far better team in the first half and in the second half Sweden were better. Even match i think. 2-2 was probably a fair result.

I disagree. England was better in the first half than they were in the second - due to some great solo performances by individual players. However, overall I would say that while the first half was rather equal, England's second half was embarrasing.

I'm sure they'll get better though, when they play the finals. However right now, I think their defence is too shaky to get past Brazil, Spain, Germany or Argentina.

Last edited:
vaz02 said:
when great teams play bad and win that is the sign of a great team.

remember that

england played bad and got a result today , remember we didnt need to win.
lol, that means that about 6 teams are certain to become world champions this year then

Owen's off for the whole Cup.

How long will the fragile Rooney/Crouch axis hold up?

Taking four strikers, two of whom weren't fit in the first place and one that hasn't even played a minute of top flight league football was a massive gamble at best and utter idiocy at worst.

yertle-the-turtle said:

Injured Owen returning to England

Wednesday's scan confirmed the bad news for Owen
Michael Owen is out of the World Cup and flying back to England after a scan revealed the extent of his knee injury.
The 26-year-old striker twisted his right knee in the second minute of the 2-2 draw with Sweden in Cologne.

"Obviously it's a massive blow to suffer the injury - and be out of the World Cup. As soon as it happened I knew I was in trouble," said Owen.

Wow, they are talking at least 5 months out... :ohmy:

Poor Guy , and exactly him , my favorite english player since 98 , the one that doesnt play like a exact british . Feel bad for him. But I'm sure He can get another cup , hes like what today , 26

owen will miss games with newcastle till x mass , fucking great!!

we have a new woodgate.

oh, c'mon, Mexico sucks :( if they are going to play like that against Netherlands or Argentina, I don't wanna see the game

yertle-the-turtle said:

How long will the fragile Rooney/Crouch axis hold up?

Taking four strikers, two of whom weren't fit in the first place and one that hasn't even played a minute of top flight league football was a massive gamble at best and utter idiocy at worst.

Agreed. It still defies belief that Sven thought taking 4 strikers was going to be ok. He's had his hand forced and now look at the situation. Rooney might be our best player but he needs another good striker up there with him and most of the referee's at this tournament give fouls against Crouch every time he goes up and wins a header.

Crouch and Rooney have hardly played together which doesn't bode well. However, with all due respect, beating Equador should be a formality so they have got plenty of time on the training ground to try and work well and link up together.

1stepcloser said:

Agreed. It still defies belief that Sven thought taking 4 strikers was going to be ok. He's had his hand forced and now look at the situation. Rooney might be our best player but he needs another good striker up there with him and most of the referee's at this tournament give fouls against Crouch every time he goes up and wins a header.

Crouch and Rooney have hardly played together which doesn't bode well. However, with all due respect, beating Equador should be a formality so they have got plenty of time on the training ground to try and work well and link up together.

if sven ever needed a excuse to play 5 in midfield here's his chance , that ay carrick can play holding role in midfield we have always wanted as well as keeping lamp and gerrard.

4-5-1 :wink:

Yeah i was thinking about a 5 man midfield earlier today. Perhaps Lampard could get further forward because at the moment he isn't contributing anything to our team expect a couple of 20 yard shots per match that keepers have no trouble dealing with.

1stepcloser said:
Yeah i was thinking about a 5 man midfield earlier today. Perhaps Lampard could get further forward because at the moment he isn't contributing anything to our team expect a couple of 20 yard shots per match that keepers have no trouble dealing with.

yep , lampard just needs a goal under his belt then he be scoring all over the place.

Its amazing , beckham aint scored from a free kick for england for 3 years now ! :ohmy: time has passed by

Argentina - Netherlands is coming. In less than 2 hours.

:drool:

After watching Portugal - Mexico, I think that Argentina needs to win the group and face Mexico on Saturday. Portugal did not do much, but saved several players and still managed to beat Mexico.

Argentina - Netherlands is coming. In less than 2 hours.

:drool:

After watching Portugal - Mexico, I think that Argentina needs to win the group and face Mexico on Saturday. Portugal did not do much, but saved several players and still managed to beat Mexico.

I Miss Robben on this game . It's clear that the right side of def of Arg is the weakest , if he was on this game .... wow , would be interesting.

whats the score , who has played the best ( i aint been watching , watched zootv outside broadcast instead lol )

I remember that after the 6-0 , we were sayin that Serbia was a completely fucked up team , in every way and still ..... no way Argentina was perfect , best team and all ..... and now...

- Serbia lost to everyone , I repeat everyone beat Serbia

And now I'm still looking for Argentina's promised another rain of goals .... Detail Holland without 5 of it's main players , includin Robben , And Argentina played with it's best strike .... HHHmmm . Why Can't I help feeling that Argentinians feel a relief that the wont face Portugal ? This is all very interesting ..... a lot .

Now I kind start to like and understand Brazil's startegy .

Last edited:
What an absolutely shameful performance by Argentina and Holland. So ridiculously boring. And this is the World Cup. The tournament should be restructured in some way in order to avoid boring matches like this.

Argentina will easily beat Mexico.

Portugal and Holland might end with penalties.

Portugal 3 - 1 Neederlands

Write down what I say .

Last edited:
More i think a healthy bet might be in order for the holland portugal game :eyebrow:

I wouldnt under estimate mexico

Although I'm an England supporter I'm surprised so many people think England will easily defeat Ecuador. Sure Ecuador lost 3-0 to Germany yesterday but they benched 5 of their best players (they probably wanted to play England lol!) and they beat both Argentina AND Brazil in the qualifying rounds...(granted, that was at a different altitude!)

I hope I don't jinx England but I might just put a bet on Ecuador - that way I win no matter who loses!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom