Interference users, help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver, listened to Porcupine Tree's In Absentia twice now. I liked it a lot...like some other stuff I like, I need to be in the mood for it, but, I definitely liked it....some really pretty passages in there. Thanks!

Up next: Gemma Hayes

On Deck: Regina Spektor

No spoken words said:
Axver, listened to Porcupine Tree's In Absentia twice now. I liked it a lot...like some other stuff I like, I need to be in the mood for it, but, I definitely liked it....some really pretty passages in there. Thanks!

Great! :up:

If you particularly enjoyed songs like Trains, I highly recommend you check out Stupid Dream. It's generally a softer album than In Absentia.

On Deck: Regina Spektor

:barf: I'm sorry.

Axver said:

Great! :up:

If you particularly enjoyed songs like Trains, I highly recommend you check out Stupid Dream. It's generally a softer album than In Absentia.

:barf: I'm sorry.

Hey, a lot of people have recommended her, we'll see if it's my cup of tea or not! :)

I'll check out Stupid Dream and let you know how I liked it.

Good luck with your Desert Island competition.

No spoken words said:

Hey, a lot of people have recommended her, we'll see if it's my cup of tea or not! :)

That baffles me. I've heard a couple of her songs and she sounded like a bad pop star who can't sing.

I'll check out Stupid Dream and let you know how I liked it.

Keep an eye out for the tracks Piano Lessons, This Is No Rehearsal, Stranger By The Minute, A Smart Kid, and Stop Swimming. Piano Lessons is my favourite PT song ever, and Stop Swimming has beautiful singing along with wonderful lyrics:

This song leaks out onto the pavement
Could be a joke, could be a statement
The more that I fake it and pretend not to care
The more you can read into what isn't there

Good luck with your Desert Island competition.

Thanks. :)

I was hoping you would enter, but spaces are full now. You can be our first reserve if you'd like!

No spoken words said:

I thought about it, but, I think I prefer to just be a bystander and watch the competition.

And get free music? :wink:

Axver said:

And get free music? :wink:

I actually was not thinking along those lines, but, that aspect does not suck....

I'm more interested in seeing everyone's tastes and such.

If I did it, there'd be like one musical theme or direction, my tastes are not quite eclectic enough for such a competition, even if I've got lots of songs on my Ipod....too many are from similar genres! :) This thread is helping me add songs, though. :)

No spoken words said:
If I did it, there'd be like one musical theme or direction, my tastes are not quite eclectic enough for such a competition, even if I've got lots of songs on my Ipod....too many are from similar genres! :) This thread is helping me add songs, though. :)

Heh, I think that's what doomed me last time, too much prog stuff that people just didn't know. This time, I've taken a different route, and while the prog's still there, I've tried to reflect the other side of my tastes as well.

NSW... looking through your list I'd say we have a fair amount in common. Try a few tracks from Over the Rhine.
And Regina Spektor is superb. At least the new album; on the earlier two she's a bit of a slave to her own quirkiness and virtuosity. Samson and On the Radio are two of the best songs I have ever heard.

definitely Muse (they have a lot of albums, but their latest two "absolution" and "black holes and revelations" are really really good)
and Mutemath (self titled debut)
and The Shins, Scorpions, Styx, the Fray, and OK GO

if you like Eisley, you should try Copeland. they have quite a few albums too, all of them are good.
and Depeche Mode.
If you like 80s music, try "orchestral maneuvers in the dark" which is usually shortened to OMD. if they don't sound familiar, htey're the ones that sang "If you leave, don't leave now..."
=)
have fun!
if you havne't registered at www.pandora.com yet, it's also a great way to discover new similar artists to the ones you like

tuwie said:
definitely Muse (they have a lot of albums, but their latest two "absolution" and "black holes and revelations" are really really good)
and Mutemath (self titled debut)
and The Shins, Scorpions, Styx, the Fray, and OK GO

if you like Eisley, you should try Copeland. they have quite a few albums too, all of them are good.
and Depeche Mode.
If you like 80s music, try "orchestral maneuvers in the dark" which is usually shortened to OMD. if they don't sound familiar, htey're the ones that sang "If you leave, don't leave now..."
=)
have fun!
if you havne't registered at www.pandora.com yet, it's also a great way to discover new similar artists to the ones you like

Thanks for the recommendations! As a person born in 1970, of course I know of OMD!! :) 80's music is like ingrained in my head, for all time. I really dug Mutemath and Absolution and Black Holes and Revelations.....

Copeland sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out.

Thanks again!!!

bgmckinney said:
And Regina Spektor is superb. At least the new album; on the earlier two she's a bit of a slave to her own quirkiness and virtuosity. Samson and On the Radio are two of the best songs I have ever heard.

Oh, come on! Now, I've only heard a couple of her songs, but when an artist is that bad, there's no point investigating further, e.g. I didn't need to hear more than two songs by Britney Spears or Nickelback to know they are total shit. And Regina Spektor sounded like a shitty pop star, maybe a quirkier Britney, who can't fu-U-u-U-u-ucki-i-i-i-i-ing si-i-i-i-ing.

Axver said:

Oh, come on! Now, I've only heard a couple of her songs, but when an artist is that bad, there's no point investigating further, e.g. I didn't need to hear more than two songs by Britney Spears or Nickelback to know they are total shit. And Regina Spektor sounded like a shitty pop star, maybe a quirkier Britney, who can't fu-U-u-U-u-ucki-i-i-i-i-ing si-i-i-i-ing.

Agreed 100%. :up:

Axver said:

:lol:

liamcool said:
I recommend the Cure. Especially the Faith album.

Go away Axver. :wink:

I also recommend IQ, Ayreon, Dream Theater (if they haven't been recommended) and Liquid Tension Experiment. LTE's Paradigm Shift is totally like a Bunnymen song. :wink:

I already have a decent amount of Cure tunes.....but, I like the sounds of Liquid Tension Experiment...if they really sounds like Echo....

liamcool said:
I also recommend IQ, Ayreon, Dream Theater (if they haven't been recommended) and Liquid Tension Experiment. LTE's Paradigm Shift is totally like a Bunnymen song. :wink:

:up:

Dream Theater tracks such as Another Day, Lifting Shadows Off A Dream, Speak To Me, and I Walk Beside You seem especially suited to the average U2 fan. Then again, Another Day bombed on the charts while the unlikely Pull Me Under was a success, so what do I know. :shrug:

And LTE's State Of Grace is clearly a missing track from UF. :wink: :wink:

Stop lying, Liam. Liquid Tension Experiment have 20 songs, all of which sound like bad ripoffs of Discotheque. :wink:

NSW, have you heard the Vines yet? Their newest album, "vision valley" is awesome. The title track is my fav.

boosterjuice said:
NSW, have you heard the Vines yet? Their newest album, "vision valley" is awesome. The title track is my fav.

I have heard the Vines, and was not overly impressed....but maybe the newer stuff would be more to my liking.

Liam, did not take me too long to realize that you were being sarcastic, but, at the time, I was not sure....listened to 30 seconds of a song and then it hit me.

Liquid Tension Experiment. :drool:

Acid Rain, Paradigm Shift, State Of Grace, Universal Mind, Three Minute Warning Parts I-V :drool:

Though I suspect such technical prog insanity isn't quite up NSW's alley.

Axver said:
Liquid Tension Experiment. :drool:

Acid Rain, Paradigm Shift, State Of Grace, Universal Mind, Three Minute Warning Parts I-V :drool:

Though I suspect such technical prog insanity isn't quite up NSW's alley.

It's not up my alley, per se, but I'm not radically opposed.

Downward Is Heavenward is a good album. Much better than You'd Prefer An Astronaut too.

Yes, someone else's recommendation gets the Axver seal of approval. :ohmy:

Two words:

Randy Newman. It doesn't matter what you get by him, he's a genius no matter what, but I suggest:

Sail Away
The Best Of
12 Songs

Back
Top Bottom