Interference users, help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No spoken words said:
I might check out Sand in the Vasoline, don't have a lot of Talking Heads in my library.

That's cool that we have smilar tastes :wink: I just noticed that iTunes also has a special edition of Stop Making Sense, a live Talking Heads album. It's longer than the version I have. Sand In the Vasoline is a nice starting place for Talking Heads, but you really can't go wrong with most of their albums.

You guys are great!!! Thanks so much...even if this is the end of the posts, this is plenty.

Again, thanks for taking the time to think about this, much appreciated.

No Spoken Words,

I really envy your position; To be on the verge of discovering so much great music. Let us know what bands you end up liking the most.

My money is on Muse and Kasabian.

boosterjuice said:
No Spoken Words,

I really envy your position; To be on the verge of discovering so much great music. Let us know what bands you end up liking the most.

My money is on Muse and Kasabian.

Well, I'm always looking for new stuff, more often than not I'm disappointed...but, for every recent disappointment there's been an Elbow or Doves, both of whom I really love.

I just think that a lot of my collection is getting stale...3,000 songs is a lot, but, much of it I've heard too much....so, yeah, this is cool, on the precipice of, as U2 might say "A musical journey". :)

I love Beth Orton, yeah. Was lucky enough to see her LIVE in LA, at a small club near the Staples Center...she put on a great show, and, for a bunch of the songs, added a new twist or sped them up, was really well done. Someone told me she has some sort of fatigue issue, so playing LIVE for her is hard.

Thanks for the suggestion, Gemma Hayes will be checked out.

No spoken words said:
Mia, thanks, only have heard of Guster, so, perfect! I own you one. One what? No idea. :)

By the way, of all the avatars and signatures floating around interfernce, your Oh, Snap, as well as that photo of Bono with the "Oh Shit, Son" is easily my favorite.

:lol: Thanks! I can't remember where I found Oh Snap, but the Bono image was Canadiens1160's brilliant creation.

Have you checked out Rob Dickinson's (of Catherine Wheel) solo cd Fresh Wine For the Horses? He's also doing a few shows on the west coast in Jan. (I'm not sure exactly where, but it's listed on his Myspace page and also on www.robdickinson.com ). It's usually just Rob and a guitar (with effects though :) ), but he puts on an excellent show.

Also I noted you mentioned The Church (yep, I can ferret out a mention of them nearly anywhere :wink: ). Yay! Do you have any of SK's solo or side projects? itunes has several of them, including the self titled Isidore (SK and Jeffery Cain of Remy Zero); Snow Job the second cd of the Jack Frost project (SK and the late Grant McLennan of the Go-Betweens); Gilt Trip, a lovely chill out instrumental album SK did with his brother Russell; and all Steve's solo cds. My favourites of his solo cds are Dabble and Remindlessness ("The Celebration of the Elephant God" is an especially wonderfully trippy song -- it accidentally got hooked up with "Soul Sample" so it shows as only one song and is only sold with the whole album on itunes). However, if you tend to like the more pop oriented Church songs then Unearthed or The Slow Crack might be better choices. Acoustic & Intimate is one I dearly love, but might not be for everyone as it is just Steve and an acoustic guitar.

-- Remy Zero's Villa Elaine is fantastic and the song not on itunes, "Goodbye Little World" is the weakest so you're not missing much.

-- Lamb's Best Kept Secrets -- The Best of Lamb 1996-2004 is another album I love. I'm not often into electronica, but this is good.

-- Big Spaceship's Dream On is kinda in that same vein. Electronica, but good. Well, I like it anyway. :)

-- Go-Betweens -- Bellavista Terrace: Best of the Go-Betweens is an excellent introduction to them. You can't go wrong with "Bye Bye Pride" and "Streets of Your Town"

-- Grant McLennan (also comes up as G.W. McLennan) Grant was a founding member of the Go-Betweens (he died this past May) -- itunes has Horsebreaker Star. You need this album. It's become one of my favourites. I only have the single disc US version, so I'm missing six of the songs listed on the album on itunes. Guess I better get those! The song "Horsebreaker Star" is just beautiful....

-- Gersey. I'm so excited that Gersey is on itunes! The music is shimmery, and noodly, and shoegazey in a way. It swirls and builds -- a slow burn. Beautiful stuff, great for late nights. Both Storms Dressed As Stars and Hope Springs are among my favourite albums. I've only met one other person who absolutely raves about them, so they aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I really like 'em. Storms Dressed As Stars would probably be the better choice if you are only going to get one.

Last edited:
No spoken words said:
Don't deface my thread!!!!

But Crowded House themes hijackings are exactly what you need in the world where you live! :mad: :wink:

Axver, I gots me some Crowded House and Midniight Oil on my Ipod already, but, I am gonna check out your earlier recommendations.

If you don't have Crowded House's Together Alone album, get it. It's their best. The melodic rock/pop tones of the earlier albums are augmented by fantastic atmospheric sensibilities, especially on tracks like Kare Kare and Private Universe. Also, check out the following two tunes from the Crowdies' out-takes CD, Afterglow: Anyone Can Tell and Recurring Dream. The latter is my very favourite Crowded House song ever, and the former is in my top ten. Both AMAZING songs; Recurring Dream is the perfect melodic rock song.

And I really hope you like Porcupine Tree. Steven Wilson has one of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard. The latest album of another project he's involved in, Blackfield, has just leaked and I can't get enough of it. :drool:

I could also try to get you into prog and atmospheric and technical metal ... :wink:

Some artists I'd like to mention:

The The
James
Editors
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
The Jesus And Mary Chain
Mazzy Star
Cowboy Junkies

Axver, you'd have trouble getting me into anything metal, but, the other 2 would not be so hard.

Indra, thanks for the tips...you actually burned me a Church CD a year or so ago, I still listen to it now and then. I had not realized that Rob Dickinson's solo album was already out, shame on me...last I'd heard his voice, he sung lead for 2 Jimmy Chamberlin songs, both of which I have. I'll check that out, and Gersey as well.

Greenlight, I've listened to all of the above, but, some more than others. Re: The The, any one album you'd recommend to me?

You could do worse than tis little lot,

David Bowie - Low, The Rise & Fall Of Ziggy..., Hunky Dory, Diamond Dogs, Scary Monsters, Aladdin Sane.
Kate Bush - The Kick Inside
Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry - Viva! Roxy, In Your Mind
The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead, Meat Is Murder, The Very Best Of
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
Iggy Pop - The Idiot
The Men They Couldn't Hang - The Domino Club
Graham Parker & The Rumour - The Up Escalator
Blondie - Parallel Lines, Eat To The Beat

If you like all of them,great, if you like some of them,glad to have been of service, if you like none of them, you must be tone deaf!

Familiar with the first bunch, never heard of The Men They Couldn't Hang.......will have to check them out.

I like the first 5 a lot, I've avoided being called "tone deaf"! :)

Thanks.

Ok, as of now, thanks to all of you, have downloaded albums by:

Gemma Hayes
Gersey
Guster
Junetile
Kasabian
Muse
Mute Math
Rob Dickinson (I miss Catherine Wheel)
Snow Patrol
Stars

This afternoon, I shall start listening to some of these, and go from there.....if anyone has anything more to suggest, please go for it, I'm still buying. :)

Thanks so much!!!!

No spoken words said:
I'm a big fan of The Stone Roses, too, wish they could have kept their act together, would have been interesting to see how good they might have gotten.

Seriously! First Lush, now Stone Roses. We should have started hanging out back in 1987 (after our first U2 show)! :)

I mentioned RIDE (played with Lush) in Hawaii. They rank up there with Radiohead, Stone Roses and U2 for me. the earlier the RIDE, the better.

Booster juice suggested Bloc Party and Indra suggested Remy Zero! I do not have anything from Remy Zero, but I saw them live and think that the lead singer has an amazing voice!

Others:

Wolf Parade
Tapes n' Tapes

(both have a similar feel - ecclectic...like Arcade Fire breeding with Modest Mouse. That's my opinion at least).

Decemberists
Sufjan Stevens
Belle and Sebatian

(all have wonderfully beautiful songs that can be poetic and funny).

Broken Social Scene

(They found it in People is one of those albums I would need to have with me if I was stranded on an island for the rest of my life).

Yup...I am SURE I could go on for hours. I buy too much.

No spoken words said:
Radiohead are on my original list of artists I like.....

I LOVE The Soft Bulletin, great album....All Mod Cons, though, do not own that and I like a few Jam songs, so, will add that to the list, thanks!!! wow, Race for the Prize just came onto my Ipod, wow, good timing. :) Not familiar with the La's either, so, thanks.

I'm a big fan of The Stone Roses, too, wish they could have kept their act together, would have been interesting to see how good they might have gotten.

Martha, thanks for the Wolfmother suggestion, I have them on my Ipod and love the first few songs....sorry if people are mentioning acts I already am familiar with, I could not possibly list every band I like, but, there are already some good suggestions in the thread, so, keep it up, people!

Thanks!!!!

oops! I somehow missed it...:( But do check out the Raconteurs. Broken Boy Soliders is awesome.. They are a GREAT Live Band that is a must see if you can catch them next tour! They just blew my mind...:wink:

Zoney, I'm going to check Ride out and see how that goes....I trust your taste. :)

I don't know too many people that know of Lush, let alone like them. Stone Roses are a little more well known, I think. At least Lush stayed around long enough to put a few albums out. Man, I could listen to Sweetness and Light all day, love the guitar....

No spoken words said:
Re: The The, any one album you'd recommend to me?
There is an excellent greatest hits type album called 45 RPM. As for a proper album, I would recommend either Mind Bomb or Dusk.

OK, have now listened to Empire by Kasabian, and Work by Junetile, and liked both very much.....different kinds of music, but, both were to my liking. So far, so good.....

Up next, Mute Math, then Snow Patrol.

Merry Xmas!

Porcupine Tree (some long "prog" type stuff but also some great rock as well)
Aereogramme (at times quite meloncholy but always intelligent stuff from Scotland!!!)
Mew ( a song called "Comforting Sounds" - make sure it's the version that uses the instrument called the THEREMIN - it's just SUCH A BETTER VERSION of the song)

No Spoken Words,

Make sure not to neglect Kasabian's first, self titled, album. It's better than Empire. I'm sure you've heard the song "Club Foot" before. It's probably the best song of this decade.

Also, keep us informed on which music you're enjoying. I might have to try some of these other recommendations for myself.

Well, so far, I've given one listen to:

Empire - Kasabian
Eyes Open - Snow Patrol
Ganging Up On the Sun - Guster
Mute Math - Mute Math

I've actually liked all 4.

I did buy Kasabian, but, am not going to listen to it until I've given some of the other artists a listen. The last thing I'd ever do is neglect Kasabian! :)

Up next: Absolution - Muse

Yay glad you liked Guster! I think Lost and Gone Forever, Parachute, and Guster on Ice are my top albums (sorry, should've probably mentioned that earlier :reject: ) Manifest Destiny on Ganging Up rocks my world!

Oh, sure, release further details now, after I've made the purchases! :) This just means I'll have to get the other Guster albums. :)

I liked that song a lot, too, actually.

I forgot that I've also listened to Work by Junetlie, which I also enjoyed. So far so good.....

Back
Top Bottom