Interference Reading List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryMullen's POPAngel

Blue Crack Distributor
I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
I know we had a thread like this sometime last fall, but lately I've been buying books like they're going out of style (OK, when am I NOT buying books?) so I thought I'd start a new one.

So, what is occupying space on various Interlanders bedside tables? :)

I am currently enjoying Wicked: The Life & Times Of The Wicked Witch Of The West by Gregory Maguire, and The Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornsby (thanks, Abby! :up: ).

Here's what I've got going right now....

Seek the Living by Ashley Warlick
A Riot of Our Own: Night and Day with the Clash by Johnny Green
Wilco: Learning How to Die by Greg Kot
The Tools of Screenwriting by David Howard

I just finished:

Sushi for beginners - Marian Keyes.

Was fab, will definately check out more stuff by her. Oh, and there was a U2 reference in the book, lmao. One of the girls it's about is trying to get celebs in her magazine (it's set it Dublin) and it mentions that the character is a bit pissed cos Bono or The Corrs wont return her calls ;) hee. ;)

Conversations with God Book 1 Neale Donald Walsch

Nine Parts of Desire Geraldine Brooks

The Clan of the Cave Bear Jean Auel

I'll skip textbooks, though I have alot of them. (Currently making my way through on about Polish daily life under Communism. Cheery stuff.)

But on my *desired* reading list--which sadly, despite having no classes, I haven't really touched:

Pope Joan by Donna Cross

Katherine by Phillippa Gregory

A Cultural History of Russia by Orlando Fuges.

Still reading:

The World Acccording to Garp - John Irving

i haven't had as much time as i'd like to read lately, despite the fact that since christmas, i've gotten at least 15 new books...

elizabeth abbott - 'a history of mistresses'

anton chekhov - 'selected stories'

next up: azar nafisi - 'reading lolita in tehran'

almost done with the rasputin file by radzinsky.

i've recently read his other two books, the last tsar and his biography on stalin.

next up: 'russia and the russians'

cruddy by lynda barry. again.

my brother sent me one of her hand drawn illustrations for christmas. personally autographed to me by miss barry.

best. present. ever.

martha said:
I'm in the middle of Roddy Doyle's The Barrytown Trilogy. The first part was The Commitments, which had me laughing out loud. Now it's The Snapper, which is very good. :up:

Love Roddy Doyle:drool:

In the middle of the Da Vinci Code and the Second Chronicles of Thomas Convenant the Unbeliever.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
The Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornsby (thanks, Abby! :up: ).

I'm glad you're liking it! :up:

I'm STILL reading A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn. It's almost 700 pages of a whole different kind of history--the history of revolutions, labor strikes, and rebellions, told with an emphasis on the actions and experiences of slaves, Native Americans, women, labor unions, radicals, communists, anarchists, hippies, draft dodgers, immigrants... It's a fascinating read, but I've been on it since just after New Year's and I'm kind of ready to move on. I'm into the Clinton presidency now (Zinn is REALLY critical of Clinton, incidentally), so I'm almost finished.

Next on my list is probably Eleanor Rigby, Douglas Coupland's new(ish) book--it's been out in Canada for a while, but was just released in the States last month. I adore Coupland and I could use a break from the history and social commentary.

After that it'll be David Shipler's The Working Poor: Invisible in America. Barbara Ehrenreich gave it a good review, so I really want to read it--anyone read her Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting by in America?

[/book freak talk]

Popmartijn said:
James Joyce - Ulysses

I just started in it. :yikes:

You are brave. I started it while I was in Greece, but didn't get far because I had too much reading last fall. Right now the plan is to do it first thing this Summer.

My current reading:
Fathers and Sons - Ivan Turgenev (we read novels for my European history class, it's great)

The Riverside Chaucer - Complete works of Chaucer, the Canterbury Tales, Troylus and Creseyde, all those treatises, etc.

Lame Deer - Lame Deer (for Native American Lit and culture)

And for my own pleasure, I'm reading some manga as well. Yuu Watase's "Fushigi Yuugi" and Kaori Yuri's "Angel Sanctuary"

Re: Re: Interference Reading List

paxetaurora said:

After that it'll be David Shipler's The Working Poor: Invisible in America. Barbara Ehrenreich gave it a good review, so I really want to read it--anyone read her Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting by in America?

[/book freak talk]

I read excerpts from it in my intro to Sociology class and the whole thing for my Intro to American Government class. Good book. I've also read her book Blood Rites, which is about the origins of war. :)

Currently reading The Ground Beneath Her Feet. I have a HUGE pile of books at the moment, and I'm finally getting my staff card at work tomorrow and will be able to take out 20 books at a time for four months. I've already seen about 200 that I want to read. :|:yikes:

I just finished Gracelin O'Malley by Anne Moore. This is the Amazon description of it:

Nineteenth century Ireland comes vividly to life in what Publishers Weekly calls the "finely wrought tale" of Gracelin O'Malley; her brilliant, crippled brother Sean; and their childhood friend, Morgan McDonagh, the reluctant hero of a revolution.
Marriage to English landlord Bram Donnelly elevates Grace into a world at once fascinating and challenging, but acceptance is slow, and her husband becomes increasingly cruel. When potato blight devastates the countryside, Grace feeds the growing number of starving tenants who turn to the manor, defying her husband and bringing his wrath down upon her head; she compromises - for the sake of their young child - and strikes a twisted bargain that leads, in the end, to Donnelly's murder. As political unrest sweeps across the land, and suspects are rounded up, Grace harbors Irish rebels - her own fanatical brother among them - hiding, as well, the deepest secret of her heart. And as disaster threatens those she loves most, Grace fights to keep them alive, her profound courage affecting everyone around her.

This book was really well written and very good. U2 is even mentioned in the Acknowledgements Page. ;)

Reading is my escape. I love mindless thrillers especially. I read everything, but I love stuff that I can just get lost in and not think too hard. Lately I've been reading a lot of books by Harlan Coben, in the middle of Tell No One. Good plots etc - but also fast reads.

ladywithspinninghead said:
The way the Crow flies by Anne-Marie Macdonald - fab stuff so far!

that's on my list of things i want to get. i read 'fall on your knees'...uh, longer ago than i care to remember now that i think about it... and i fell in love. one of canada's best authors.

:up:

"Monstrous Regiment" by Terry Prachett. On the light side, as I'm on my winter holidays now.

anitram said:
Still reading:

The World Acccording to Garp - John Irving

Hey I'm reading that too right now. So far I'm not enjoying it as much as Cider House or Owen Meany, the only other two Irvings I've read. Of course Owen is one of my all-time fav books so it will be hard to top.

I tend to read a lot of books at once, which is a bad habit. Right now I'm also trying to finish:

Moby Dick--Herman Melville (don't want to die without reading this one. It's phenomenal so far)

Martin Eden--Jack London

Peace on Earth--Stanislaw Lem

Chronicles--Bob Dylan

My Dark Places--James Ellroy

laz

Back
Top Bottom