Interference Reading List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just finished reading "A History of God" by Karen Armstrong.

Now I've just begun reading "Inside the Kingdom: My Life in Saudi Arabia" by Carmen Bin Laden. She used to be married to one of Osama's brothers. She tells about the Bin Laden family, what Saudi Arabia is like, and how she managed to leave her husband, and the country, and keep her children. So, it should be interesting.

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
Franklin and Winston by John Meacham

I like to read a variety of books at the same time.

lazarus said:

Any Tom Robbins fans around here? I still haven't read Villa Incognito but I've heard some ghastly things about it and I'm scared.

laz

hey laz luv TR my copies of unlimited power and awaken the giant within are looking somewhat worse for where - been to the TR forum recently?

bah! so inundated (oops! TR would recommend that i say something like 'action aplenty') with study im not really reading anything 'cept the goss trash mags lol here in australia there's a radio ring in comp that focussed on trash guess who rings in? lol
gah! i'm such a tool - hey good band!

marty

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
Martha,
Is there any set order to reading Doyle's books?

The edition I bought had them in order of writing, so it was The Commitments, The Snapper, The Van. They're all about the same family, so they make sense in that order.

Just be careful about sipping beverages whilst reading. Your nose may get a hosing.

sandals4321 said:
The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
Franklin and Winston by John Meacham

I like to read a variety of books at the same time.

David Sedaris is awesome.

He came to my undergrad in 98 and was just great.

I bought Me Talk Pretty One Day and his latest!

JJJ Frenzy said:

hey laz luv TR my copies of unlimited power and awaken the giant within are looking somewhat worse for where - been to the TR forum recently?

bah! so inundated (oops! TR would recommend that i say something like 'action aplenty') with study im not really reading anything 'cept the goss trash mags lol here in australia there's a radio ring in comp that focussed on trash guess who rings in? lol
gah! i'm such a tool - hey good band!

marty

I think you're talking about TONY Robbins, the motivational speaker. I was referring to TOM Robbins, the American novelist.

But I love when the Tony Robbins infomercials come on. The guy seems pretty legit to me, as he's spoken to many professional sports teams and Fortune 500 companies.

Anyway...

laz

In the middle of The Ground Beneath Her Feet by Salman Rushdie.

strange and fascinating...

oh and Lazarus, my favourite Tom Robbins is Jitterbug Perfume.

Last edited:
discothequeLP said:
anyone here read any Grisham novels?

I've read 5 of 'em. I can't touch anything he writes anymore. Too formulaic & predictable.

I'm currently working on:
People Watching by Desmond Morris
LOTR: FOTR by JRR Tolkien (2nd time around)

J-Tree said:

I've read 5 of 'em. I can't touch anything he writes anymore. Too formulaic & predictable.

i've read 2 of them, The Rainmaker and The Street Lawyer, and I thought the ends of both were pretty surprising, especially the end of The Rainmaker

Right now I've started on "Cider House Rules" by John Irving. I've already read his "A Widow for One Year" and "World According to Garp", both of which I really enjoyed.

Recently I've read "Religions of the World" by John Smith (I think); which I thought was wonderfully accessible and informative. And I've just finished digging through all 1070 pages of Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged". Definitely one-of-a-kind book that's equally fascinating and frustrating; jeez this woman loves beating you over the head.

discothequeLP said:
i've read 2 of them, The Rainmaker and The Street Lawyer, and I thought the ends of both were pretty surprising, especially the end of The Rainmaker

Interestingly enough, those were the first two I read as well. I really enjoyed The Street Lawyer. It's my favorite. I read The Firm, The Partner, & A Time to Kill; by the time I hit ATTK, I was done. I hear he's changes things up in his newest release, The Broker. Has anyone read that yet? Thoughts/Opinions?

OMG J-Tree!!!!!!!! is it really you???? i haven't seen you in forever!!! :hug: please send me an email. i tried sending you one through your profile but it didn't work. lizartlizard@gmail.com is my addy.

sorry for disrupting this thread :wave:

Saracene said:
Right now I've started on "Cider House Rules" by John Irving. I've already read his "A Widow for One Year" and "World According to Garp", both of which I really enjoyed.

And I've just finished digging through all 1070 pages of Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged". Definitely one-of-a-kind book that's equally fascinating and frustrating; jeez this woman loves beating you over the head.

I finished Cider House Rules a few months back. Loved that book. You might try A Prayer For Owen Meany next, which my one of my all time favs. If you're a practicing Christian or believer you'll probably get even more out of it than I did. I've read Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead, which had a profound effect on me, but I haven't had the willpower yet to attempt Atlas Shrugged (I love long books, but I'm still working on Ulysses).

Oh yeah, and Gracie, Jitterbug Pefume is also my favorite Tom Robbins. But that might have somthing to do with my designs on living forever...

laz

I'm finally getting to Barack Obama's autobiography (Dreams from My Father), which I bought before Christmas at the Strand in NYC. :crack:

I just finished Alice Sebold's - 'The Lovely Bones' as well as 'Lucky'. They were both fabulous...quick reads too!

starsgoblue said:
I'm gearing up to tackle James Joyce's Ulysses

:crack:

I suggest a strict training regimen before you embark on that one. It's like getting ready to climb Mt. Everest.

You might want to read Homer's Odyssey, The Bible, the dictionary, and 100 push ups a day for a month before cracking that Joyce open.

Say your goodbyes now, folks. We may never see her again...
:sad:

best of luck

laz

I've read Homer's Odyssey and the Bible....I don't do 100 daily pushups but close to 50. I was a English major until recently so I hope I've still got those mental muscles....

Thanks for the good wishes! I'll let you know if I survive! :D

The Barbarian Way by Erwin McManus
Angels and Demons by Dan Brown (absolutely wretched....seven straight chapters on physics!)

starsgoblue said:
I've read Homer's Odyssey and the Bible....I don't do 100 daily pushups but close to 50. I was a English major until recently so I hope I've still got those mental muscles....

Thanks for the good wishes! I'll let you know if I survive! :D

You are totally prepared--were you in girl scouts?
Because you might need to untie the knot around your brain when you're done with this one.

I saw a really cool edition of Ulysses in Milan, of all places, that had this chart which broke down every section of the book. It told you what part of the body was featured in it, what part of The Odyssey it related to, and a bunch of other stuff. I should have bought it, but I already had 8 books in my backpack, including my own copy of Ulysses.

Anyone read Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace? It's another towering tome, but it was brutally funny and one of the most brilliant things I've ever laid my eyes on. I used to read it on the T (subway in Boston) on the way to work and missed my stop many times (whereupon I would get off and read more as I walked back on the sidewalk). I was so addicted to the thing (and ironically, addiction is one of the themes), I practically went through withdrawal when it was over. The fact that it doesn't really have an ending may have had something to do with that.

alright, blabbering over.

laz

Back
Top Bottom