Interference Random TV Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Before The Office, I watched CSI for the first time in forever, to see Warrick laid to rest. :(

Bye Warrick. You still have the prettiest eyes ever, even if the actor who played you is a massive druggie who got your character killed off.

I see I missed a Buffy conversation! Yes, even in the weaker seasons, there were still some amazingly well done episodes. I'm not nearly as harsh on the show as some people are, though. I pretty much enjoyed it from start to finish, although there were a few aspects of certain storylines along the way that bugged me.

GAF, you'd definitely love Buffy.

My reaction to this show can be summed up thusly:

picardhk5.jpg

It could be another case of a foreign show not transferring well to an American audience yet. Hell, The Office took a while to find its own footing as a series instead of just an American riff on a superior show. I'm not saying Kath & Kim is as good, and I haven't seen the other version, but you know what I mean.

Fucking awesome picture.

There are reports that there will be a charity Doctor Who special later this year for Children In Need. The exciting news is that supposedly all 7 living Doctors will be participating.

In short, TOM FUCKING BAKER.

In addition, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann, and Christopher Eccleston, as well as current Doc David Tennant.

They did this about 10-15 years or so but it's not what I would call very good TV. Hopefully they'll do something better this time.

Did anyone watch Life On Mars? I'm not a big fan of "cop shows," but I'd heard a little about the British version and decided to check it out.

I rather liked it, although I think whether or not it will hold up depends on how long they stick with the whole "fish out of water" scenarios. It's amusing for a while, but how many "diet coke? what the hell is that?" or "cell phones ... you're selling what?" jokes can they make?

If you take those away, is it just going to be a plain old cop show? The fish out of water gimmick is kind of the whole premise of the show, isn't it? Is it going to be a Quantum Leap kind of thing, where all he wants to do is get home (although he'll just be in 1973 and not jumping all through time)?

My recommendation: stop watching the American version and get yourself a copy of the British one. It is a GREAT show, and doesn't deserve any shitty Yankee treatment.

I watched the premiere of the shitty new NBC drama starring Christian Slater tonight. The one where he has split personalities. It was shitty, but I kinda dug it. It's better than Heroes, which I have officially stopped watching.

I'm sorry Hayden. And Kristen. And Jess. I've let you down.

I haven't seen much, but it's good.

I prefer Moonlighting though, which was VERY similar to Columbo when it first started out.

And, of course, Magnum P.I.--moustache brotherhood and all that.

Tom-Selleck---Magnum-PI--C10102602.jpeg

REPRESENT.

Columbo is still very popular in the UK, the films are frequently shown. Only this week Uneasy Lies The Crown was broadcast. Lots of favourites, mainly the Patrick McGoohan ones, oh and that Leonard Nimoy episode. Those films they made in the nineties were a bit uneven though.

I never quite got Magnum, despite liking Tom Selleck it never really struck a chord with me, that theme tune though...:rockon:

There are reports that there will be a charity Doctor Who special later this year for Children In Need. The exciting news is that supposedly all 7 living Doctors will be participating.

In short, TOM FUCKING BAKER.

In addition, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann, and Christopher Eccleston, as well as current Doc David Tennant.

They did this about 10-15 years or so but it's not what I would call very good TV. Hopefully they'll do something better this time.

I haven't heard about this rumour, but I know what you mean about Dimensions In Time. :reject:

Incidentally Lazarus, did you like Season 4 of Doctor Who?

Yeah, definitely. I haven't disliked any of them.

Actually, I thought this last season was thankfully free of any real clunkers. Nothing here as bad as Love & Monsters, Fear Her, Daleks in Mahattan, Aliens of London. Only The Unicorn and the Wasp came close, but it was a lot of fun.

Conversely, it didn't have as many classics as previous seasons, either. But the Moffat 2-parter was up there with the best Who ever, and I liked how they experimented on Midnight and Turn Left.

I'd probably rank them like this:

Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead
Turn Left
Planet of the Ood
Midnight
The Stolen Earth/Journey's End
The Fires of Pompeii
The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky
The Unicorn and the Wasp
Partners in Crime
The Doctor's Daughter

I'd agree with that list, although I think I'd put Midnight just ahead of Turn Left, glad you enjoyed it though.

Journey's End had a bit of a mixed reaction, some people felt it was anti-climatic that the Doctor didn't actually regenerate, believing that it was just a cynical ploy by the production team to generate huge publicity and ratings. If that's true, it certainly worked, speculation went into overdrive and there were many different names and theories being thrown around about who would be taking Tennant's place and what would happen next.

The episode also attracted over 10 million viewers, making it the number one show in the country for the first time in its long history. I suppose I have mixed feelings too, the whole idea of Rose getting her own 'Doctor' at the end also divided people.

I was very impressed with Midnight though, an interesting idea cleverly executed. It made a far more lasting impression on me than some of the shows other more overt attempts to wring a genuine emotional reaction out of the viewer, I actually felt drained at the end of it. Its rare to see The Doctor so helpless and out of his depth. Despite his best efforts the whole situation just went from bad to worse and by the end of it he looked genuinely unsettled and shook up by what he had experienced. I really felt it had left a mark on him.

The show tries to put the Doctor through the wringer most weeks, but its rarely truly resonant, making Midnight all the more impressive. I don't think it was quite up there with the likes of Blink or Human Nature but still very effective.

Anyway, RTD recently released a book called The Writers Tale which basically follows the development of Season Four from script to screen through a year-long series of emails between RTD and one of the reporters who works on Doctor Who Magazine. Its pretty compelling stuff if only to learn how much RTD hates online criticism and the incredible self-doubt he feels as a writer. Well worth getting a hold of a copy if you can.

Cool site for Twin Peaks fans:

In Twin Peaks

Locations in Washington State used in Twin Peaks, and what it looks like now. Some cool sleuthing done by the author. Clicking "more" under each entry's pics takes you to more info about the places.

Yeah, definitely. I haven't disliked any of them.

Actually, I thought this last season was thankfully free of any real clunkers. Nothing here as bad as Love & Monsters, Fear Her, Daleks in Mahattan, Aliens of London. Only The Unicorn and the Wasp came close, but it was a lot of fun.

Conversely, it didn't have as many classics as previous seasons, either. But the Moffat 2-parter was up there with the best Who ever, and I liked how they experimented on Midnight and Turn Left.

I'd probably rank them like this:

Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead
Turn Left
Planet of the Ood
Midnight
The Stolen Earth/Journey's End
The Fires of Pompeii
The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky
The Unicorn and the Wasp
Partners in Crime
The Doctor's Daughter

What about Blink? I'd put that right after the Silence/ Forest ones...or was Blink the previous season? It was, wasn't it. Oh well - it was a brilliant episode whenever it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom