Interference Random Music Talk: Rick Rubin produces the XX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
every once in a while i'm reminded of what this lady said on the T while i was headed back to my car after a springsteen show in boston. she was talking to the idiot casual fan who said "yeah it was a good show, but i wish they'd played more songs people actually know and not all that stuff no one's ever heard." she said she didn't like how people stood for most of the show, and that she did the "adult thing" and sat for most of the songs, especially the slower ones.

that irritates me to no end. there are a lot of ways to enjoy a show. you could be that irritating asshole who insists on dancing the entire time, singing along to every single goddamn song (oh wait, that's usually me). you could be my brother or my mother and stand there stone-faced, arms crossed yet gush about how it was the greatest show you've ever been to as soon as you're back at the car (actually, when we had GA tix to a different springsteen show, i definitely saw my mom jumping up and down and singing along during "badlands." mom's almost 60. i was proud. haha.) at a small show, you can hang back by the bar, stand back in a corner and dance along with your beer/friends/random person you just met...the kind of music, the venue itself and whether there are seats and/or you have a seat, all this and more dictate your place in the overall crowd reaction. but do people really think this way? an "adult thing" to do? oh, sorry. i was 25 last week, but since turning 26 i have to be mature now and can't have a good time while i'm sober at this concert. no, i must remain in my seat. i must be cool.

There are a handful of hip hop / rap songs that I really like, but it's usually a great single that catches my attention. When I try to delve deeper into an artist's work, like Jay-Z or Cee-Lo's rap work, it doesn't do much for me. I do like to give something a try when someone says "Hey, if you like that, you should try this" and appreciate those suggestions. I like to keep trying, as my tastes do evolve occasionally.

I have Kanye's albums, and like most everything on them (love almost all of his singles), but he seems to be the exception.

oh yeah, kanye. i can't stand him.

she said she didn't like how people stood for most of the show, and that she did the "adult thing" and sat for most of the songs, especially the slower ones.

She's either an idiot for thinking people should sit during a rock show they're excited about, or an asshole for thinking it was immature to do so.

Probably both.

She's either an idiot for thinking people should sit during a rock show they're excited about, or an asshole for thinking it was immature to do so.

Probably both.

i've never wanted to slap a total stranger like i wanted to smack da bitch. that's about all i know.

For hip-hop, I like the ones who put a tremendous amount of effort into the production aspect, which is why I like Kanye so much.

For hip-hop, I like the ones who put a tremendous amount of effort into the production aspect, which is why I like Kanye so much.

Seriously. And what I find so great about his production is that he doesn't stick to one sound. Sure, he had the chipmunk soul thing early on, and it was terrific, but he knew when to allow a man like Jon Brion in for the cinematic Late Registration. After that, on the more claustrophobic Graduation, he darkened his sound with icy Euro dance samples; ditto 808s & Heartbreak. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is even better though, because it's gritty and lo-fi while still sounding elaborate, the kind of music a madman like Kanye would be making at this point in his career. He definitely is one of the most nuanced producers in the game right now, and it's not just his solo work that's exemplary; he's worked wonders for Kid Cudi and Common as well.

I'm going to be late thanks to this post, but whatever. I expect a new thread before I get back.

They have major label-ified themselves. Which means their next album will probably be just as good as their most recent album, but will receive a 2 to 3 point drop in score from Pitchfork.

OH shit, where did they move to?

I'm not going to pretend not to be excited/happy for them about this.

They still exist? Figured they would have gotten swallowed up ages ago.

EDIT: Ha, Warner Bros. acquired them? FR still has some cred then.

Back
Top Bottom