Interference Random Music Talk: Rick Rubin produces the XX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love every REM album minus the two three most recent. And I like Reveal and Accelerate.

While I don't love it as much as I remembered, Let It Be is a really great album.

Really great is a little too strong for me. Not the original, not the Naked version.

Even my own personal tracklist would probably only fall under "very good". And for those who haven't seen it before:

LET IT BE BETTER

1. Two of Us
2. One After 909
3. I Me Mine
4. Don't Let Me Down
5. I've Got a Feeling
6. The Ballad of John and Yoko
7. The Long and Winding Road (Naked version)
8. Get Back
9. Dig A Pony
10. Old Brown Shoe
11. Dig It (extended bootleg version)
12. Let It Be (Naked version)
13. Across the Universe (Naked version)

two of my favourite songs mixed together... http://p1.soundcloud.com/player.swf...ud.com%252Ftracks%252F2215267%253Fsec&h=55aa8

though it's not quite as good as it should be.

It's nice that you're getting the experience but I fail to see how doing something for two weeks can accurately demonstrate if this is the proper career for you. You might catch them at a horrid time.....you might catch them at a slow time.....you might catch them with two of their better employees on vacation......you might find that this group of people do their jobs well but don't have time to mentor some kid properly. You might find that these people are incompetent but love to show the rookie kid a good time for his two weeks. And on and on and on.

So, do you mean to tell me that after thinking that this is what you want to do with your life for a long time that if you have a not so decent two weeks (two weeks!!!), at just one workplace, at your age, that you'll possibly elect to walk away from it all? If so, then you likely never really wanted to do it in the first place.....

Not that you're asking but my advice to you is to make the most of it and ask a lot of questions but not to let the experience become some sort of make or break exercise.....hopefully, you love it and that reawakens your previously felt passion for the business.

it's not make or break... it will give me a better idea though. my football team announced a new coach today, and i got to go along to the press conference, which was really cool. i'm not as enthused as i could/should be, but i will absolutely be making the most of it. i had to pretty much invite myself to the press conference, and i interviewed it on my record and i'm writing a colour piece on it for fun.

it's just such a high pressure work environment (though i understand a lot of jobs are) and you are prone to a lot of negativity.

Really great is a little too strong for me. Not the original, not the Naked version.

Even my own personal tracklist would probably only fall under "very good". And for those who haven't seen it before:

LET IT BE BETTER

1. Two of Us
2. One After 909
3. I Me Mine
4. Don't Let Me Down
5. I've Got a Feeling
6. The Ballad of John and Yoko
7. The Long and Winding Road (Naked version)
8. Get Back
9. Dig A Pony
10. Old Brown Shoe
11. Dig It (extended bootleg version)
12. Let It Be (Naked version)

you know, adding (Naked version) to a few of the songs really doesn't make it Lance's Mum worthy.

Especially when The Long And Grinding Cock is so damn easy. Not to mention Fuck It.

Very decent album, I'd say, with a handful of classic songs and a bunch of underrated gems. The mediocre tracks are inexcusable though, and there's certainly a spark missing from it.

Sorry if this has already been posted, as I haven't caught up with this thread. You can download a free live Pixies EP from a recent Mexico City show after entering your email here:

PIXIES

This track is an absolute revelation. I love how the sparse arrangement brings Lennon's vocal to the fore, as I really believe that the song has the most impressive lyrics of any track that I have ever heard.

Very few lyricists are capable of producing genuine poetry, and I think that Lennon does it on this track. Morrissey is the only other one that comes to mind at the moment.

Shuttlecock rumour mill:

Vinyl-only and U.S.-only EP this fall called "Wide Awake in Europe", reportedly featuring live tracks from the last leg of the tour.

I shit you not.

Also, McCockne$$ said new album in early 2011.

there are so many reasons why a supposed vinyl, us only release entitled wide awake in europe is taking the piss.

the number one issue, if it's going to be authentic to wide awake in america, they'd need to record the tracks from soundchecks in the united states, not europe.

Bono said there would be a new album in time for the North American dates over a month ago in Rolling Stone:

"I feel like there's a lot of joy around," Bono says in his sunroom, swirling his hand in the air. "I don't know what's going on, but everyone's in a great mood. Songs are much more airborne, more light-footed." There are also a lot of them: four new albums' worth. In addition to Songs of Ascent -- a second set of tracks from the No Line sessions -- and Bono and the Edge's score for the Spider-Man musical (finally set to open on Broadway on December 21st), U2 are working on a "rock album," as Bono puts it, "and a club-sounding album." He expects U2 will release a new record, drawn from that body of songs, in time for their return to North America next year. "That's going to be great. Those people are going to have tickets to a whole new show with new songs.

This track is an absolute revelation. I love how the sparse arrangement brings Lennon's vocal to the fore, as I really believe that the song has the most impressive lyrics of any track that I have ever heard.

Very few lyricists are capable of producing genuine poetry, and I think that Lennon does it on this track. Morrissey is the only other one that comes to mind at the moment.

we turn away to face the cold, enduring chill
as the day begs the night for mercy
the sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
carved into stone on the face of earth

:heart:

Duck Soup - Barbra Streisand.
lol.gif

grinbiginvert.gif

I'll be really surprised if that EP isn't released digitally as well. It's pretty random. But kind of nifty, considering it's a one-off thing we weren't expecting.

The EP/single/whatever was actually up on Amazon here and in the UK (as an import) with an 11/22 release date, and people were able to pre-order it. They're no longer listed on the sites, but I think it's just because someone put it up too early, not that it doesn't actually exist or isn't happening.

The album? Yeah, I'm with you there.

I guess one site is saying it's rumored to be 6 tracks, but someone else got an email from a work contact (who would know such things, as it's a music-related job) that had the tracklisting as:

side 1 - Mercy (live)
side 2 - Crazy Tonight (listed as 360 Remix; I'm guessing it's the live version)
Moment of Surrender (live)

Maybe Mercy is going to be on the album, and this is an early single. Maybe it's not going to be on an album and this is one of those wacky one-off singles like Electrical Storm.

If an album comes out in early 2011, and this EP is some sort of little oddball release, I might start suspecting they're caring less about sales, and I might get really excited about that.

This wouldn't be like Electrical Storm, though. Or Sweetest Thing '98 or Window in the Skies. Because those were all released to promote their respective Best-Ofs.

I gave my opinion on this EP in the album forum, so I don't need to repeat myself here.

I think it's super lame.

Back
Top Bottom