Interference Random Music Talk Pt XVI - Post-Cool Double Rainbow...WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The group are due to mix the album in the autumn ahead of release in spring 2011.

So, the album is finished recording, in fucking July, and it won't be out until the Spring of next year? Something is off about that. It shouldn't take god damned 7 or 8 months to put out something that you've finished recording. You're one of my all-time favorite bands, and I can't wait to hear it, but get your shit together.

It had better be good.

OR ELSE.

What, no faith in Cocknife Lee?

So, the album is finished recording, in fucking July, and it won't be out until the Spring of next year? Something is off about that. It shouldn't take god damned 7 or 8 months to put out something that you've finished recording. You're one of my all-time favorite bands, and I can't wait to hear it, but get your shit together.

This. I don't believe in a rush to get something out for the Christmas season, but a couple months is all mixing should take. It's not like they need to warm up a giant promo machine like Shuttlecock does; no one gives a shit about R.E.M. anymore besides their loyal following.

Yeah, I found that reallly weird. Maybe someone fucked up when typing this article. :lol:
My money is on it being released this year if they finished recording indeed.

All I know is that we're not going to get an album that's a quick burst of ragged energy like Accelerate, so I'm not expecting many more generic rockers like Horse to Water or I'm Gonna DJ. The question is, are they going to combine that momentum with a moderate amount of sophistication and deliver the goods (see songs like Sing For The Submarine, Mr. Richards, and the unfortunately abbreviated Hollow Man), or will they go too far and tip the scale back to the geriatric snoozefests that are Reveal and Around the Sun? I'm pretty optimistic but anyone who could release two lifeless turds in a row like that can't be completely trusted.

One good thing is that Obama is still in office so we won't likely see more blunt, uninspired political diatribes. I can't take another Shortest Straw or Until the Day is Done.

I still can't believe that "The Lifting" was on Reveal. I love that song and really cannot stand the rest of the album.

I probably liked Accelerate a little more than most around here.

or will they go too far and tip the scale back to the geriatric snoozefests that are Reveal and Around the Sun?

I'm pretty optimistic but anyone who could release two lifeless turds in a row like that can't be completely trusted.

The day they release something as good as Around the Sun again will be a good day for music. It's their second best album. :reject:
But yeah, Reveal is boring as hell, even if half of it are great songs.

Peter Buck himself, and the rest of the music-listening world, will laugh in your face for this comment.

I'm used to get that response because of this comment. :wink: And I always hated that Peter talked down Around the Sun.
To me only Automatic can top it.

That's ok, you're not the first and I guess you won't be the last. :wink:

I think Accelerate is good, and I do like a good number of songs on it, and it was nice to see a little return to form for them, but it was still disappointing because it felt to me like they were trying too hard to do a return to form.

I guess it's just me coming to terms with the fact that they're not the band they used to be. I held on quite a long time. I still want to hear what they're doing (and will see them live when I can), but they were in my #1 spot for so many years (usually alternating with U2 until the mid 90s, when U2 pulled far ahead), it's hard to let go.

The day they release something as good as Around the Sun again will be a good day for music. It's their second best album. :reject:

This is one of the worst musical opinions I've ever come across in a place where people of somewhat similar tastes congregate.

It's like naming Batman & Robin as your favorite film of the franchise, and one can only assume that some bizarre personal issue or experience is at the root of this preference. It's like an R.E.M. album sanitized for people who have no understanding at all of what makes the band great or unique, and it's something I'd imagine a suburban housewife enjoying. Most people who are partial to mellow R.E.M. at least have the decency to champion Automatic for the People or Out of Time, not this grandpa crap.

This is one of the worst musical opinions I've ever come across in a place where people of somewhat similar tastes congregate.

It's like naming Batman & Robin as your favorite film of the franchise, and one can only assume that some bizarre personal issue or experience is at the root of this preference. It's like an R.E.M. album sanitized for people who have no understanding at all of what makes the band great or unique, and it's something I'd imagine a suburban housewife enjoying. Most people who are partial to mellow R.E.M. at least have the decency to champion Automatic for the People or Out of Time, not this grandpa crap.

Yeah. I was expecting a post like this too.
First of all, yes, I always state that Around the Sun is their second best album, and I go even further and say that it's their best album in terms of flow. I can listen to it from first to last song without skipping anything and never get tired.
Automatic for the People is better though, obviously, 'cause its songs are near perfection, so even if the flow is disrupted by one or two songs, that's no problem at all.
For the experience part, all I remember is that back in 2004, when I got into U2 - which was my first experience with good music - I used to visit a band-related forum from my country and there I noticed that a lot of U2 fans liked "this band R.E.M." So, I went and listened to some of their musics on some internet radio and I loved it. And I guess the first of their albums that I listened from start to finish was AtS. I fell in love with it instantly.
However, I wouldn't say this is the cause for what I feel now, since several albums that I loved back in those days I've grown tired of now. AtS, on the other hand is still firmly fixed among my favorites. I'm sorry but that's all the reason I can give: perfect flow and quality songs. It relaxes me like almost no other album. I like it.
I know that I'm one among ten thousand, probably, among music-listeners to have such a strong opinion about this album; it's something I feel weird about, since I think it's an amazing album, but oh well, opinions. I'm not stirring shit here, I just think it's a great album, along AftP and OoT as their best work put on record.

: dies:

They are the best band for driving (all the way) across Montana.

I don't know about all that, but I think they're pretty solid. Scored a copy of their debut LP for like $13, a few months ago. I'm told that that was quite the steal. Hoping to parlay that into straight cash, at some point.

Anyway, did you get a chance to listen to that Rallizes bootleg? I can hit you with a link, if need be. That shit must be heard. It will ruin "hard" psych for you, though. It is despicably heavy. An abridged re-release was not coincidentally called Heavier Than a Death in the Family. Perfect.

I like this album:

2ljjbqb.jpg

Listen to it here: Urban Outfitters - Features - Exclusive Album Stream: Best Coast

I listened to a bit from a few different songs....I liked what I heard. Lately, I haven't been liking too much in the way of recommendations so I'm glad that this appealed to me.

Thanks for posting.

Glad to be of service. It's a delightful 31 minute jaunt through summertime. What's not to like other than the band name making you and Laz feel geographically superior?

Now if I could only get someone to listen to that Childish Gambino album I referenced. Really fun pop culture references and turns of phrase. Come on, Community fans. Support Troy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom