Interference Random Music Talk Part XVIII - In Which GAF Listens to Sex Church

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't listened to any of their albums either....., BUT I have listened to all of their songs numerous times. The two box sets they released in the '90's were random assortments of all their songs pulled out of order on albums. I've had both of those for ages. I've always told myself that I needed to go through all the songs and put them in actual album order, but I've never done it.

You know what I just listened to that I found unexpectedly nifty? The new John Mellencamp.

It was recorded in mono, and has a very great "old-timey" (for lack of a better term) feel. Some good roots and Americana type stuff.

Will be picking this one up.

OUR country.

OURS.

But in all seriousness, I am excited as whoa to hear the new Mellencamp. Didn't realize it had come out until last night and am now waiting until this evening to give it a go.

Sounds like I've been missing a lot lately.

Like Laz, I've always been a fervent admirer of Mercy. While this is great news, I just hope they haven't fucked it up too much.

Also, if there is a 2000-2010 compilation (and knowing U2, there probably will be), there's no way they'd put songs from the last one on there.

And MOTD has always been one of my faves.

So much for them not fucking it up. The bridge with the "ripping the stitches" part, arguably a better melody than the actual chorus, and with some great guitar playing by Hedge, is gone.

Why am I not surprised?

Yup, the first thing I noticed when I listened to the rehearsal was the absence of the "ripping the stitches" part.

in other words:

2mza8b8.gif

I have to post that so I don't completely lose my shit and post something I'll only regret and apologize for five seconds later. :)

So much for them not fucking it up. The bridge with the "ripping the stitches" part, arguably a better melody than the actual chorus, and with some great guitar playing by Hedge, is gone.

Why am I not surprised?

I think what cori might have been avoiding posting was something to the tune of: U2 is actually rehearsing MERCY, an unreleased song that a month ago even the most hardcore of fans thought U2 would only consider playing live when hell froze over, and fans are still finding something to bitch about.

I think what cori might have been avoiding posting was something to the tune of: U2 is actually rehearsing MERCY, an unreleased song that a month ago even the most hardcore of fans thought U2 would only consider playing live when hell froze over, and fans are still finding something to bitch about.

I know you're a moderator and all, but I really feel you should just leave here for a while. Logic has no place in these here parts.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooon.

Jew, Jew
Jew, Jew
Jew, Jew

Sing yourself on to the bank
Sing yourself right as you wank
Sing yourself from cheering on
Israeli tanks

Sing yourself with coin and bill
Sing yourself off shyster's thrill--
The thought that someone else has lost
And someone else's pocket has been filled

Jew
Jew, Jew
Jew, Jew
Jew, Jew

I'm pretty sure my original posting on this expressed gratitude and excitement about this even happening.

But I don't think that the loss of a major element of the song is some small thing. That and the ending guitar work are my favorite things about the original recording.

I deleted three different wildly sarcastic responses that were mainly spurred by pfan's post about setlists, in which he already seems to be setting himself up to have his dismay over the inevitable setlist override his happiness at finally seeing U2 for the first time ever.

Laz's comment just added on to my Irrational Internet Rage; taken on its own I wouldn't have batted an eye.

Then I went and ran on the treadmill and beat down my Irrational Internet Rage with every pounding step. So for now, at least for the next .... oh, two hours or so, I'm all good now.

I CAN'T QUIT YOU, INTERFERENCE!

:heart:

I deleted three different wildly sarcastic responses that were mainly spurred by pfan's post about setlists, in which he already seems to be setting himself up to have his dismay over the inevitable setlist override his happiness at finally seeing U2 for the first time ever.

Laz's comment just added on to my Irrational Internet Rage; taken on its own I wouldn't have batted an eye.

We all love bands and artists other than U2, so I'm curious: how many of you follow tours as closely as you do U2? Do you know what The National, Arcade Fire or whomever has played on any given night?

I'll answer for myself: I always go into concerts not knowing the setlist and this increases my enjoyment of the show. U2 is the only band that I somewhat follow to see what song they played on any given night. My point is, and it's obvious, is that the Internet has made these things more accessible. It wasn't that long ago that none of us went into concerts knowing more or less what will be played and when.

So I find it sad that Dan is hoping for a good setlist (which, of course, is entirely subjective. The vast minority majority of people in that stadium will not care that they played Pride again, or that there were 5 songs from All That You Can't Leave Behind. But I digress), instead of enjoying his first U2 experience. And I'm not singling you out, Dan, but only using you as an example.

Anyway, I'm rambling, and probably incoherent (as usual) but my feelings on this issue are well documented. Not that anybody cares, mind you. :)

During the HTDAAB tour I followed setlists close to nightly, but definitely on a weekly basis.

For 360 I probably checked out the setlists for the first few concerts and then moved on.

Partly because I wanted to be surprised, and partly because I don't really give a fuck anymore.

September 11th may take on a whole new level of infamy this Friday, as the star of the Spider-Man musical is singing one of the show's songs on Good Morning America.

Be afraid.

September 11th may take on a whole new level of infamy this Friday, as the star of the Spider-Man musical is singing one of the show's songs on Good Morning America.

Be afraid.

Oh no :(

The Spider-Man musical has seemed like a turd from day 1 for me, to be honest.

Be afraid.

But September 11th is Saturday, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom