Interference Random Music Talk Part XIV - Magic everywhere in this bitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ron Weasley: Banging one of the hottest fictional characters of all-time and wearing cool T-shirts since 1997!

2ym96d1.jpg

Personally, I think they're untalented posers, a boyband with worse hygiene. Laz will likely elaborate; he hates them even more than I do.

Fair play. I HAAAAAAATE Johnny Rotten, and almost entirely agree with you. But Never Mind the Bollocks remains a legitimate classic, drawing equal praise from all niches of the critical establishment, the general public, artists, and so forth. Metal Box is hardly a slouch, either, if you're keeping track.

Fuck, I can't find the Charlie Rose vs. PiL interview on YouTube. Must've been removed. If you ever have the chance to watch it, do. Rarely have I been as angry at a person I didn't actually know as at Rotten, while watching that. Guy is a fucking IDIOT...moreso even than Charlie Rose! That's saying something, for real. M.I.A.-style, he's just angry for the sake of being angry. Even he doesn't have the slightest idea why.

I like a handful of tracks off of Nevermind the Bollocks, although I haven't listened to it in years.

Another reason for Laz to hate them: Liam Gallagher's vocal delivery was completely ripped off of Johnny Rotten.

The simply point is that if you're listing to that version of the album, Grace is not the final thing you hear.

Well if you buy remastered versions of older albums by many artists, they have bonus tracks tacked onto the end. That doesn't mean that some alternate demo version or remix of a song is the last song on the "album". We're talking about two things: the physical compact disc itself, and the collective artistic statement that the band is putting out under the banner of that album title. What I'm saying is that The Pound Between Her Sheets (new title, see Official Lance's Mom thread) is more the FIRST track on The Million Dollar Whoretel soundtrack (which it was recorded for), than it is the LAST track on ATYCLC.

Well if you buy remastered versions of older albums by many artists, they have bonus tracks tacked onto the end. That doesn't mean that some alternate demo version or remix of a song is the last song on the "album". We're talking about two things: the physical compact disc itself, and the collective artistic statement that the band is putting out under the banner of that album title. What I'm saying is that The Pound Between Her Sheets (new title, see Official Lance's Mom thread) is more the FIRST track on The Million Dollar Whoretel soundtrack (which it was recorded for), than it is the LAST track on ATYCLC.

recycle.jpg

Fair play. I HAAAAAAATE Johnny Rotten, and almost entirely agree with you. But Never Mind the Bollocks remains a legitimate classic, drawing equal praise from all niches of the critical establishment, the general public, artists, and so forth. Metal Box is hardly a slouch, either, if you're keeping track.

Fuck, I can't find the Charlie Rose vs. PiL interview on YouTube. Must've been removed. If you ever have the chance to watch it, do. Rarely have I been as angry at a person I didn't actually know as at Rotten, while watching that. Guy is a fucking IDIOT...moreso even than Charlie Rose! That's saying something, for real. M.I.A.-style, he's just angry for the sake of being angry. Even he doesn't have the slightest idea why.

To be fair, I have not heard Metal Box, and I assume it'll be much more my thing. Not much into punk in general, unless the melodies are terrific, a la Ramones.

You're not going to get much opposition to the opinion that Johnny Rotten is a jackass, he made a career out of it. Too bad it wasn't a shtick.

Wait, what's wrong with Charlie Rose? He's a solid interviewer. Hell, all of his Tarantino interviews are fantastic.

There's no way that you're sticking up for Charlie Rose, right...? If so, have you ever actually and regularly (that's the key) watched his show? There are good interviews, make no mistake, but he's uniformly terrible.

I admit--I am totally exaggerating. The guy's not actually retarded, or anything. His heart seems to be in the right place. He is kind of personable, and usually calm even when shit gets crazy. But this is a very, very, very widely held view: Rose is very under-informed, meandering, and confusing/confused as an interviewer. Isn't there even a fake, pseudo-Charlie Rose clip that Wes Anderson made? It's one of many that I've seen, over the years. Somewhere, I have several of them on DVD. The kinds of parodies to which I linked and of which I'm talking exist for a reason.

And, seriously...can you imagine his out of touch confusion coming face to face with Johnny Rotten??? Holy fuck, it's so unintentionally hilarious. He just gets SO pissed.

Rose is sometimes under-informed, if you're watching interview indie directors and punk rockers.

As someone who's seen him cover a wide variety of subjects and interviewees, I consider him engaging, often tenacious, and intelligent. He doesn't just throw softballs at his guests.

I, too, have watched a great deal of Charlie Rose. A great, great deal. I just found so much of it hilarious. Engaging, though, I'll go with; and probably intelligent, too, although I don't know for sure, either way. In more serious and less joking terms, I think he just suffers from news magazine syndrome--he's way too taken with the often nonexistent drama of what he's discussing. I don't know if that's a very good description of what I'm trying to describe, but it's the best I can do. I gotta go fire up some steaks, damn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom