Interference Random Music Talk Part XI: Buttmeat Rides Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and martha--if I'm actually correct in assuming that you like wailing, drug-addled psych stuff, then you would do well to check out Eternal Tapestry. In order of importance, seek out The Invisible Landscape, Mystic Induction, and then Palace of the Night Skies. If I'm wrong in making that assumption (and I may well be), then ignore this. I feel like you're a post-rock fan who's open to the harder side of things, so that suggests that this could, indeed, be right up your alley. Either way, let me know what you think.

I have a long weekend in front of me, but part of it will assisting my very sweet and wonderful, yet slightly helpless, husband in getting ready for two weeks in Australia. He leaves Sunday night. If I don't respond, remind me later to check all this out.

So I finally heard this big Lady Gaga single...that's it? Really?

I feel sorry for people who have to grow up with this shit instead of someone that's actually great at making pop music like Madonna.

Not. Even. Close.

Sigh. Well, I'm off to Permanent Records to (in all likelihood) spend away my medicine money. Have never been there, before, on account of avoiding Ukranian Village/its denizens (not the actual Ukranians, mind...I'm talking the holier-than-Wicker-Park hipsters, here) like the plague, but this more than likely doesn't bode well. Store-wide 20%-off sale, and a horrifyingly deep and obscure catalogue. I shudder to think how this will turn out. Very frightened. I have a history of going buck wild, during first visits to great record stores. It's even more absurd, at this point, because my turntable is busted and can only play 78s. Ugh. I even bought one for a few bucks, a few days ago, just to have something to play and, obviously, to show the clerks at the store how baller I was and always am. ;)

Also, Not Not Fun records is the most exciting and captivating label in the States, even if one doesn't like all the music it puts out (and, really, when does that ever happen?). Discuss. Crazy good stuff, a lot of that. Really digging the vibe and aesthetic, over there; like, both musically and artistically.

Last night I dreamed that I bought a four disc vinyl boxset of Miles Davis. It was all music I hadn't heard before and it sounded great. But then I was kinda annoyed because it was vinyl and I couldn't listen to it anywhere but home. Plus, it scratched up when my mom stacked it up on the spindle.

So I finally heard this big Lady Gaga single...that's it? Really?

I feel sorry for people who have to grow up with this shit instead of someone that's actually great at making pop music like Madonna.

Not. Even. Close.

I don't think GaGa's songs are revolutionary or anything, I just really like them. Plus, I just like that she lets her freak flag fly. Yeah, it's calculated and part of her whole deal, but I like that it differentiates her from a lot of the other cookie-cutter pop singers.

I don't get the part about feeling sorry for anybody - what's to feel sorry for? There's tons of music out there and it's not like music like Madonna's isn't accessible for people to discover and get into.

I've seen other criticisms of her that express disappointment that the songs don't measure up to her hype and image, but that doesn't bother me. I'm not looking for someone to be the next savior of pop music, I just want to find songs that I dig. And if the person singing those songs happens to be remotely interesting, then that's just gravy. :)

I also like that a) she can actually sing well; and b) she kicks ass playing solo piano versions of her songs.

Actual talent FTW!

Well, I understand what Laz is saying: the popular pop music of a generation is usually heard by everyone, so there's a lot of people to share the enjoyment with.

I don't mind Lady Gaga.

Laz is referring to Bad Romance, yes? That's a pretty weak track, yeah. Always screamed Poker Face re-write to me, and I never liked Poker Face in the first place. I don't hate Lady Gaga though...I don't turn it when Just Dance or Paparazzi is on the radio.

For me, Annie is the peak of mindless pop fluff today:

YouTube - Annie - Hey Annie

Annie is awesome - I'm so glad her second album finally got a release, AND a US release at that. I was hoping I wouldn't have to pay import prices for it. :)

Yes, I was talking about Bad Romance. And of course Annie blows Gaga out of the water. I didn't mean to imply that I hated the latter, I just didn't see what the big deal was. Going back to what Cori said, if you take away the image and the video (and the hype), there's just not much there. I don't think that's the case with Madonna, where the visuals certainly enhanced the experience, but the songs were really that good on top of it.

The Sirius XM U station has me beginning to wonder if a satellite radio subscription isn't such a bad idea after all. Awesome stuff.

Allow me to U-turn from Shouter's fresh new music bulletin to mention an album that I loved which was stolen quite some time ago and never replaced. A random lyric strayed into my head, and I thought "hey, I haven't heard that in ages" and quickly hunted it down.

So any of you other senior citizens remember Edie Brickell & New Bohemians' first album?

God I love this thing. Really hasn't aged it all, because when it came out it was retro-hippie.

They may have technically been a one hit wonder, but the quality runs pretty deep. And of course, the bonus track "I Do" is one of the best things on there. I even used the track Air of December during the opening credits of my magnum opus film in high school.

Ahh, memories...

I loved that album back in high school, then got completely sick of it. I randomly heard it again a few years ago and was surprised by how much I liked it, and by how much of it I remembered.

So any of you other senior citizens remember Edie Brickell & New Bohemians' first album?

Never even heard of it, man. What kind of music? I mean, when you say retro-hippie, do you mean Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, or Strawberry Alarm Clock? Or something else entirely? Perhaps Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes (who, by the way, you may very well enjoy; one of my favorite records of the year, so far, their/his From Below)?

Also, I'm not kidding about this Purling Hiss record. It's not for anybody whose favorite Velvet Underground record isn't White Light/White Heat and who doesn't think that the title track plays it WAY too safe/the album doesn't actually get moving until "Sister Ray." These guys are fucking nobodies. I know that it sucks that you can't dl the record, because it's LP only and limited to, like, 250 copies, but check it out. It is indeed worth buying, if this is up your alley:

Purling Hiss on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

When I heard "Almost Washed My Hair," at Permanent, I simply put down everything I had under my arm and bought it. Immediately. Unbelievably intense. Dude at the counter told me that the album was so skull-fuckingly mastered that the record initially couldn't even be pressed--it would have destroyed the plates, at the plant. They had to take it back and tone it down. That these songs are this band "toned down" both frightens and excites me to NO fucking end. Wow.

Another new band worth checking out, particularly for those of you who enjoyed the Real Estate record--Surfer Blood. Information available via MySpace:

Surfer Blood on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

If I'd had the chance to hear their debut, Astro Coast, I might tell you that it was one of the better indie-pop records I'd heard, this year. Maybe I wouldn't. Who knows? I'm willing to be that I would, though. Just saying.

Never even heard of it, man. What kind of music? I mean, when you say retro-hippie, do you mean Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, or Strawberry Alarm Clock? Or something else entirely? Perhaps Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes (who, by the way, you may very well enjoy; one of my favorite records of the year, so far, their/his From Below)?

Also, I'm not kidding about this Purling Hiss record. It's not for anybody whose favorite Velvet Underground record isn't White Light/White Heat and who doesn't think that the title track plays it WAY too safe/the album doesn't actually get moving until "Sister Ray." These guys are fucking nobodies. I know that it sucks that you can't dl the record, because it's LP only and limited to, like, 250 copies, but check it out. It is indeed worth buying, if this is up your alley:

Purling Hiss on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

When I heard "Almost Washed My Hair," at Permanent, I simply put down everything I had under my arm and bought it. Immediately. Unbelievably intense. Dude at the counter told me that the album was so skull-fuckingly mastered that the record initially couldn't even be pressed--it would have destroyed the plates, at the plant. They had to take it back and tone it down. That these songs are this band "toned down" both frightens and excites me to NO fucking end. Wow.

Well, White Light/White Heat isn't my favorite VU album, but I really dig these guys. Fierce shit. I loved the comment underneath on MySpace from someone who just said "Almost washed my clothes".

Ha! I hadn't even scrolled down, that far. Wonderful. Album's a stunner, laz. I think you might really enjoy the as-yet-unreleased Surfer Blood record, too. For what it's worth. Shit doesn't hold a candle to the Purling Hiss LP, though. I mean...my GOD. Also, thanks for clicking through. No joke. I'm glad that people are at least giving it a try, not to mention enjoying it.

If you look on their page they also list "ArchiveCD" as a label, but when I went to the site (which is far from user-friendly), I couldn't find anything there. I then googled "Purling Hiss archivecd" and found this page:

http://www.archivecd.com/dairy.htm

If you scroll down you'll see these guys are selling the CD for $11, but I don't see how you're supposed to order it because there's no button to add it to your cart. And they don't have it listed with the other stuff they're selling.

Confusing.

I suppose I could just email the guy, but fuck 'em for making it such a hassle.

On another page, they're selling the Birds of Maya LP. That's the dude's other band. I listened to their record, last night, and wasn't really too impressed. It was fine, but no more. Pretty standard, noisy/abrasive garage-psych. The LP we're talking about seems a lot more distinctive and motivated.

:up:

You get a chance to check High Beams, martha? I found a solo record from one of the dudes from Eternal Tapestry, yesterday. Dawn of the Golden Eternity, by Plankton Wat. Really cool, but maybe not up your alley. Much closer to freak-folk stuff. Pretty out-there, a lot of the time. Recorded on a cassette deck, though, so I feel he deserves mad props, for that shit.

You're right about that, no doubt. This is a really obscure-as-shit label, though, man. Like...I can't even put it into words. Look around, and you'll see that he specializes in live releases from obscure, unnamed Japanese noise rock bands, Acid Mothers Temple reissues, and Goslings noise-a-thons. I don't think that the dude is exactly a web designer. Dig the praying mantis, though. Fucking awesome.

Anyway, I say spring for it, provided you like what you've heard. I feel like buying from these labels and artists is a priority, but I don't want to strongarm the, like, 5-10 people on this particular board who might actually care to hear something like this. It's just, you know...when you have to go to one label for the LP, another one for the CD, one of them is just two guys in a record shop in Chicago, and the other is some dude who makes boxes for his box sets by hand, you could probably use the bread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom