Interference Random Music Talk Part XI: Buttmeat Rides Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They don't sing or anything on the tracks, but their influence in the production is really obvious.

Anyone familiar with King Sunny Ade, the Nigerian guitarist and singer? I've heard him mentioned as an influence on Dave Longstreth from THE PROJ! as well as The Hedge. Apparently he had a decent amount of crossover success in the early 80's thanks to Chris Cockwell* from Thighland Records*.

I've acquired a couple notable albums but haven't checked them out yet.

* 'cockified due to former Shuttlecock association

Yeah, he's got some good-ass stuff. I don't know him super-well, though, so don't let me mislead you--I basically know him as the dude with an awesome track on most every Nigerian comp I've ever had or heard.

Wound up giving my Avett Brothers taping passes for tonight to a buddy who is crazy about them. It feels good to do something nice for once in my life.

By the way, I think GAF only used my Shuttlecock presale code for one ticket, so I've got one more left. Just got an email for Minneapolis and East Lansing, so I'm looking in your directions, Dalton and Cass.

As University of Minnesota students, we're eligible for a special presale. (Glad paying for this fucking stadium out of my fees is finally paying off a little bit...) It starts tomorrow and I'm still debating whether or not to go for a ticket. If I did, it'd be the $30 or $50 bracket. Thoughts? Is it actually worth it, fellow Shuttlecock fans?

Of course you should. I suspect next year's show will be an improvement, and the spectacle is a pretty rare and special one.

Supposedly people who bought Vegas tickets still have active codes.

I'm thinking Montreal would be a pretty cool place to see a show, and I've never been there, so I'm thinking of trying my luck tomorrow.

Of course you should. I suspect next year's show will be an improvement, and the spectacle is a pretty rare and special one.

This is true, the Claw looks like it'd be worth the admission price. And, it is happening right in my backyard, essentially. I'll see what I can pull up after class tomorrow (about a half an hour after they go onsale, but hopefully there'll be a cheap seat or something). I'm banking on the fact that college students are cynical and don't want to see U2, but then the scalping factor comes in, as well as just buying for parents or friends or something. We're limited to 2 tickets apiece, so this'll be interesting, I'm sure.

Unrelated to anything, did any of you guys happen to check out the meteor shower? I watched for an hour or so, and it was pretty amazing.

Unrelated to anything, did any of you guys happen to check out the meteor shower? I watched for an hour or so, and it was pretty amazing.

I saw one. That was it. The story is longer than that, but the entire endeavor was pretty lackluster. I'll go ahead and chalk it up to light pollution even though we drove 15 miles south of the city. At least I got to open the sunroof and jam some meteor watchin' tunes (The xx, Yellow House, "Watching the Planets," etc). As of press time, I'm the only one who enjoyed said tunes.

Oh, trust me. Hanging with you at Electric Fetus is one of the main reasons I'm even thinking about it. :wink:

:D

I snagged a lower-level seat a few minutes ago. I can't believe it'll be nearly six years between U2 shows for me...

I saw one. That was it. The story is longer than that, but the entire endeavor was pretty lackluster. I'll go ahead and chalk it up to light pollution even though we drove 15 miles south of the city. At least I got to open the sunroof and jam some meteor watchin' tunes (The xx, Yellow House, "Watching the Planets," etc). As of press time, I'm the only one who enjoyed said tunes.

Bummer. I saw a dozen or so, just laying in my backyard for an hour. Then, I decided it was too fucking cold for that shit in Minnesota and went back to bed. Good work with the tunes, even if nobody else enjoyed them.

My friend likes that band a lot. Haven't heard them though.

Am I the only one who's getting impatient for the next Rocky and Balls song? It's been quite a while since they served up Love Cake, and I'm HUNGRY again.

Went to the Museum of Contemporary Art, last night, and realized that they had THE Sugimoto exhibition on display. Good stuff. Cool to see the original(s), that's for sure. There were better pictures to choose (namely, ones not so prominently featuring a horizon), but whatever. A nice, unexpected surprise.

Also, this is spectacular. It's an excerpt from a "Guest List" done by the/a dude from Neon Indian, and just ran on the 'Fork. Here's the brilliant part, followed by a link to the whole thing. Hilarious.

Strangest Display of Affection I've Received From a Fan

I started getting these messages on MySpace a few months ago from this girl who would just ask the most offbeat, strange questions: "Hey, where do you think music is going?" and I would just respond, "I don't know... where is music going?" And she started asking about different places that we were playing. So then she started asking questions about tour dates that we had, like, "Oh hey, I see that you're going to be in New York, we should totally hang out. We can stay at my mom's apartment," and, "Hey, I see you're going to be in Paris," and she keeps referring to me as Andy, and I'm thinking, "My name's not Andy, it's Alan. Why does this person think that my name is Andy?" And she keeps saying, "We met a few years ago... don't you remember me?" So I start getting creeped out. Eventually she sort of slips up in one of the emails-- at this point I've stopped responding-- but she slips up and says, "You and the rest of MGMT can stay at my apartment," and I realize, "Oh my god, she thinks I'm Andy Van Wyngarden!" So then I explain to her, "Look, I'm terribly sorry, I hate to disappoint you, but that's not who I am, and you've sufficiently managed to creep me out."

Then when our stuff got stolen in Sacramento, my manager and I put out our numbers in case anyone had any information leading to the retrieval of it, and she was the only person who called. She called my manager. We were heading back down to L.A. to DJ, and I just hear him say, "No, Neon Indian isn't a side project of MGMT. Who is this?" Then she just hangs up. And the next morning, I get a phone call at 10 a.m., and I'm like, "Who is this?" and I just hear "[long sigh]" and then she hangs up. So I guess that's the strangest display of inadvertent affection, because it's actually not even intended for me, but she keeps insisting that I'm Andrew Van Wyngarden, when I think that at this point I've made it quite explicitly clear that I'm not. It's getting to the point where my friends and I are cracking jokes that it's going to be like the movie Misery-- I'm afraid we're going to play a show in her town, and she's going to break my legs and ask me to write an album for her.

Pitchfork: Guest Lists: Neon Indian

Man, am I glad I decided to read that shit. Ha!

I am utterly flabbergasted by how much I love this record:

real-estate.jpg

Speechless, Jerry. Without speech. Wow. Laz, this comes highly recommended, as a fellow Yo La Tengo fan. I'm not saying that they're the same band, but they ride a similar wave. Do investigate. Man. Wow. Really strong. Possible contender, for my forthcoming faves of 2009 list. Jesus, I like this. I am embarrassed, in fact, but how much I like this.

Too Cool To Die

Pitchfork: Album Reviews: Real Estate: Real Estate

YouTube - Black Lake by Real Estate

YouTube - real estate - fake blues

Glad to see such a ringing endorsement. I'm really backed up on new music, mostly out of laziness, but it's near the top of my itinerary.

My friend likes that band a lot. Haven't heard them though.

Ah, I'll throw Lungs a mildly enthused recommendation. The arrangements are rather complex and creative for the genre ("indie pop" makes it sound like a contemporary with The Shins, but the songs sound a lot...grander than that), and the tunes are definitely there. Florence Welch is one of the finer lead singers I've come across in a long while. I would put her in the same league as Karen O, although Welch's voice is a lot stronger. Saw them open for Blur in July, and I would say her onstage mannerisms reminded me a bit of Janis Joplin, and it works, even if her voice isn't harsh enough to match. Best song of theirs is Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up) IMO, though most seem to be pretty enamored with Kiss With A Fist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom