Interference Random Music Talk Part XI: Buttmeat Rides Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll definitely have to search it out. I'm a huge Peter Gabriel fan in general, so I'm curious, how do the rest of you feel about him?

The cover was from the Shall We Dance? soundtrack, a film starring J. Lo, Tim Robbins' girlfriend, and tiny-eyed gerbil enthusiast Richard Gere.

I'll definitely have to search it out. I'm a huge Peter Gabriel fan in general, so I'm curious, how do the rest of you feel about him?

I'm a big fan of THE GABE! I personally think Us is his finest work, and one of the best albums of the 90's. I also love the import-only Ovo, which apparently wasn't too well-received. I find So to be incredibly overrated, as I can't stand Sledgehammer or Big Time.

Guy's not exactly prolific, unfortunately. And while Up was a very good album, after waiting 10 years it didn't quite satisfy enough.

I thought it was the Kid A Bear?

bear.jpg

Regina Spektor played here a couple nights ago, and I'm shocked to see the amount of people who went. Many of these folks are people I wouldn't peg as being keen to who the hell Regina Spektor is. So basically, when did this broad get popular enough to be ruined by the general public? Was it the latest album, and if so, why does her worst album elevate her to new popularity?

Questions like these keep me up at night.

Regina Spektor played here a couple nights ago, and I'm shocked to see the amount of people who went. Many of these folks are people I wouldn't peg as being keen to who the hell Regina Spektor is. So basically, when did this broad get popular enough to be ruined by the general public? Was it the latest album, and if so, why does her worst album elevate her to new popularity?

Funny you mention her. Somebody just gave a presentation on her and why she's an interesting musician (using examples from her earlier work, none from her latest, if I'm remembering correctly) in my pop music grad seminar. I'm not a Regina Spektor fan myself, but I can see why people would be into her.

Some of the singles off of the previous album were played on VH1 on a daily basis. No clue how this album is doing.

I'm a big fan of THE GABE! I personally think Us is his finest work, and one of the best albums of the 90's. I also love the import-only Ovo, which apparently wasn't too well-received. I find So to be incredibly overrated, as I can't stand Sledgehammer or Big Time.

Guy's not exactly prolific, unfortunately. And while Up was a very good album, after waiting 10 years it didn't quite satisfy enough.

I'm also a big fan of Peter Gabriel. I'd probably rate his third self-titled album (Melt) as his best, but Us is definitely up there.

Up was very good with the exception of a couple of songs.

I'm also a big fan of Peter Gabriel. I'd probably rate his third self-titled album (Melt) as his best, but Us is definitely up there.

:up: Those are great choices. I'd put Security as his best. So gets much of the praise but I find Security is better both as a complete album and in terms of songs with Rhythm of The Heat, San Jacinto, Lay Your Hands On Me and the criminally underrated Wallflower. Passion is great too but certainly not for everyone.

I've only heard Melt and So, the former is definitely the stronger of those two. So obviously has some superb songs, but Melt is damn near perfect.

For Screw and bono_212's sake, I'll give Security a try soon and report back. I'm curious to see how he managed to fit Shock The Monkey in there. :lol:

:up: Those are great choices. I'd put Security as his best. So gets much of the praise but I find Security is better both as a complete album and in terms of songs with Rhythm of The Heat, San Jacinto, Lay Your Hands On Me and the criminally underrated Wallflower. Passion is great too but certainly not for everyone.

I think Security is probably just a notch below, but I will agree with you that Wallflower is a gorgeous song.

I've only heard Melt and So, the former is definitely the stronger of those two. So obviously has some superb songs, but Melt is damn near perfect.

For Screw and bono_212's sake, I'll give Security a try soon and report back. I'm curious to see how he managed to fit Shock The Monkey in there. :lol:

Shock The Monkey actually fits on there fine, as does I Have The Touch.

An ideal recommendation for this thread, as this release would probably warrant less than a full page, given its own thread:

Sun Araw: Heavy Deeds (2009)

COVER.jpg

Very much a part of the hypnagogic/glo-fi/chillwave/fuck-off-and-die thing that's been going on, for the last year or so, but a lot harder, a lot less overtly tuneful, a lot more psychedelic, and (somehow!) a whole lot hazier. I suppose if I were cornered, I'd say something like, "It's kind of like the Lips' 'Watching the Planets' mashed up with the noisier moments on Tarot Sport (the new one from the garishly named Fuck Buttons)." Really good stuff, and very much up my alley.

Also, while knee-deep in the sand of this genre, I can't recommend this strongly enough:

Pitchfork: Resonant Frequency: Resonant Frequency #65

Hardly the best piece I've seen, but interesting in that I feel that this is one of the first "movements" to be SO fully digested, parsed, and arguably written, actively, by those traditionally on the periphery--critics, bloggers, boarders, and fans. In other words, as in the piece to which I've linked Over the last two or so years, "THE INTERNET" re: MUSIC has really come into its own, and I feel like this is a good time to look back and at least consider, if also lament/rejoice as seen fit, just how (literally) unrecognizably things have changed. This movement just happened to spring up at precisely the right time to show us pretty much exactly how things are looking, springing all but fully realized from the ashes of the in-retrospect-flash-in-the-pan shitgaze/lo-fi nouveau deal and the ridiculous reverberations of the equally ridiculous (if you ask me) but still inescapable Person Pitch, and I think it's well worth thinking about.

This Artist of the Decade discussion in EYKIW is frustrating, but still intriguing.

The Black Keys' hip-hop collaboration with Damon Dash called Blakroc (both the group and the album go by the same moniker) leaked today. It's sick as hell, I highly suggest giving it a listen. Tons of great rappers on there: Mos Def, RZA, Pharoahe Monch, Raekwon, Q-Tip, and more.

The almighty Pitchfork has a track available for streaming: Pitchfork: Listen: The Black Keys' Hip-Hop Project

I'm going to go ahead and say to do it. I'm most of the way through the album, and there's a couple of pretty meh tracks, but overall, it's very good. Dark, which I'm a fan of. Lots of bluesy guitar along with the dark beats. And, the rapping is generally great as well. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom