Interference Random Music Talk Part XI: Buttmeat Rides Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like this part:

Well, he has an enormous ego, but so do most of the people I like. [laughs] And also a big ego isn't necessarily a bad thing. A big ego means that you have some confidence in your abilities, really, and that you're prepared to take the risk of trying them out. I really don't think he's arrogant. That's a different thing.

I've always been puzzled by that particular criticism of Bono. So he has a big ego - what rock star doesn't? It's not like you hear about him walking around being a total prick to everyone, in fact you always hear the opposite. So who cares if he has a big ego?

And he's often very self-depracating, which goes a long way (at least with me) in balancing out what's perceived as having a big ego.

So that's nice to see the "ego" vs "arrogance" thing mentioned.

There's also an explanation as to why none of the record has Moroccan influence.

I still haven't noticed those highly touted Chan Marshall vocals on Modern Guilt. Apparently she's on "Orphans" and "Walls?" Well, she's impossible to distinguish, if that's the case. But maybe that's the point.

Guero and The Information both had a few good songs on them. Modern Guilt was a nice, concise affair. A step in the right direction. I've got nothing against post-Sea Change Beck. Nothing lives up to it, I mean it's one of my favorite albums ever, but there are enough quality tunes for me to keep coming back when he's got something new.

I still haven't noticed those highly touted Chan Marshall vocals on Modern Guilt. Apparently she's on "Orphans" and "Walls?"

This is news to me.

I will say though, that while Guero and The Information don't really make the cut, there isn't a track on Modern Guilt I don't at least enjoy. But as Laz says, it's just not enough.

John Mayer is such a waste of talent*. Christ. Just tried to listen to his new album and couldn't make it through a few songs. Plus it's got one of the worst, most egotistical album covers I've seen in a while.

*If you think the guy isn't a phenomenal guitar player, you're an idiot. That's what I meant by talent.

Being a great guitarist isn't enough to get me to listen to an album. Which is why I don't have much solo Clapton.

Did you actually think it was going to be listenable? The guy has a terrible voice.

He's got a sense of humor about himself, I'll give him that. But his music still sucks.

There have been enough moments in his catalog that I've liked for me to hold out hope he'll make a good record. His voice definitely sucks, but sometimes the musicianship shines through that. His cringe-worthy stuff has always exceeded the good bits, but part of me definitely wants the guy to put together an album on par with the Trio live album.

I'd just like to hear him play lead in a blues band or something and not sing. Maybe that's the album I'm hoping for.

Either way, Battle Studies (appropriately abbreviated BS) is the worst album I've heard all year.

Welp, looks like I'm going to the Avett Brothers ACL taping next week.

Well, it looks like I'll be seeing The COCK! after all. My aunt is giving me two tickets for the Philly show in July. No idea what kind of seating, but who cares, it's free.

Good to hear. I haven't listened to it yet. I heard from a lot of people that they absolutely killed at the festival, so it should be good. Plus ACL tapings are amazing. This'll be my fourth, third this season.

I'll bet you wish you could tape his ACL:

terrell++owens+shower.jpg

It's been a while.

Well that's the problem, isn't it? A few good songs or "nice concise affair" just don't cut it for me.

Following Guero, which was good but lacked direction, and The Information which had great atmosphere but the worst running order of all time (and, again, no direction), Modern Guilt was a step in the right direction. It IS too light on material, and it all feels rather colorless, but it could be a springboard to future greatness. Replica is a really underrated song, reflective of Beck's most interesting electronic experiments.

Modern Guilt feels like an LP-length EP. If anyone gets that feeling. But yeah, I agree with LM.

I just commented "no wai" on somebody's FB status. And I desperately want them to respond "yahweh."

He's done the Magnetic Fields cover before, although I forget which record. It's sublime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom