Interference Random, Music Talk Part VI: You are tearing me APART, Liam!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I have been going on about psych and garage (and even some surf, if you've been paying attention). I have also mentioned The Monks. Holy shit, though...I have not NEARLY mentioned them enough.

I beg you to watch this. This was written before The Velvet Underground & Nico had even came out. And these guys were just GIs stationed in Germany who decided to start a band. Just to pass the time, basically. My jaw has been on the floor, for the last week, at the sheer genius of this shit. Wow. Seriously. You have to hear this.

YouTube - The Monks - Oh, How to Do Now

Yes, I said before The Velvet Underground & Nico, and by self-taught musicians with no particular musical or theoretical training. Unbelievable.

They'll mix up songs 7-9. Paris was unique in that they didn't play 9, and shortened the set by one song. Fun times.

They'll mix up songs 7-9. Paris was unique in that they didn't play 9, and shortened the set by one song. Fun times.

Paris isn't unique; it's the EXACT same show as Opening Night, with the Space Shuttle hook-up taking up the time that was used at the other shows for an extra song.

Paris isn't unique; it's the EXACT same show as Opening Night, with the Space Shuttle hook-up taking up the time that was used at the other shows for an extra song.

When they focus less on the spectacle and find some balance between that and song choice, then I'm hoping we'll see some more variation.

I can't really complain because I'll only see them once this tour, if I do get a chance, and I like most of what they're playing.

Throw in The Pfan of "Bad," "The Fly(ing) Cock," "New Year's Cock," and "Until the End of the Match" and I'm a happy camper.

"I've seen life burn bright. Seen it shimmer. Fade like starlight to a glimmer. I've seen life flow by like a river. So full of twilight. Dreams that glitter."

- Nicola

When they focus less on the spectacle and find some balance between that and song choice, then I'm hoping we'll see some more variation.

I can't really complain because I'll only see them once this tour, if I do get a chance, and I like most of what they're playing.

Throw in The Pfan of "Bad," "The Fly(ing) Cock," "New Year's Cock," and "Until the End of the Match" and I'm a happy camper.

The thing is, you aren't likely to hear both of those Achtung Birdie tracks unless they drop Ultraracquet, and while they are better overall songs, the novelty of hearing the latter wins out.

Andy Bell
roots_006.jpg

Lookalike
chris_martin.jpg

He does a great job
:shock:

The thing is, you aren't likely to hear both of those Achtung Birdie tracks unless they drop Ultraracquet, and while they are better overall songs, the novelty of hearing the latter wins out.

And that flat-out sucks. "Ultraracquet" is my favorite song of theirs, especially live.

Hell, the one show I got to see last year they completely ditched the Boy songs in favor of "Until..." and "Mysterious Plays," which was alright, then they played the LAST acoustic set of the entire tour. That's what you get when you don't go to a show in a major metropolitan city, I guess.

Maybe they'll find it in their hearts to play the fifth largest area in the US next year. Until then ... this is my zen, right here.

(And yes, I'm still half-kiddingly holding this grudge against them.)

And that flat-out sucks. "Ultraracquet" is my favorite song of theirs, especially live.

Hell, the one show I got to see last year they completely ditched the Boy songs in favor of "Until..." and "Mysterious Plays," which was alright, then they played the LAST acoustic set of the entire tour. That's what you get when you don't go to a show in a major metropolitan city, I guess.

And ironically,
Mysterious Plays made its debut tonight.

Had Mysterious Plays ever sounded good live? I don't believe so.

Are you kidding? On ZooTV, with the extended intro and outro parts? It was all kinds of awesome, blew the studio version out of the water.

Since then? It's been pretty weak, I'd agree.

Ehh. I liked the outro back then. But I never thought it was a particularly strong live track.

Driving back to Austin right now mothafuckas. Posting and driving is a thrill.

Yeah, fuck you "texting and driving." You ain't got nothin' on "posting and driving."

Yeah, this is infinitely more dangerous.

THE GRIZ! is making for a nice drive. That and the obscenely large pinch I've got going.

That reminds me. I listened to Acid Tongue in the car Friday in an attempt to give it another shot. I liked it more than I had previously, but I prefer the more country sounds of Rabbit Fur Coat. There's a lot to like about Acid Tongue, notably stronger vocal performances by J-Lew. But there's a lot that detracts from it. "The Next Messiah"* is a huge mess. The chorus of "Badman's World" is insufferable. But then you've got "Pretty Bird," which I really took a liking to, and the title track, still one of my favorites of 2008. So it's a spotty album with some great moments and some real missteps. I still don't think it can carry Rabbit Fur Coat's jock bra.

*Listen to how she pronounces messiah. "Moo-sigh-uh." Nitpicking, I know, but Christ that got irritating.

Also, thanks for thinking of me in the Cockplay forum, GAF. I only check there for more ammo to add to my well of hatred, and I was not disappointed this time.

Of course, Wacko's music is only slightly-less white than theirs, so maybe it's fitting.

I like "Billie Jean" and that was just awful. Leave it to The 'Nilla Patrol to deliver something that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom