Interference Random Music Talk Part IV: Avoiding KNIFE CRIME for One More Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who gives a fuck? It's an album title.

Also, Hail To The Thief/In Rainbows = less experimental (at least within the context of their discography) than Yankee Hotel Foxtrot/A Ghost Is Born. Radiohead hasn't been truly experimental since Amnesiac, and there is little to nothing about the past two records that could be considered experimental for the band. They both feel like rehashes to me, the latter far more convincing than the former. Of course, Wilco wussed/sold out with Sky Blue Sky, so, by my estimation, neither band could possibly be considered experimental at this point. Of course, I don't listen to music classified as "experimental" regularly (as I've often found that such sonic experimentation had been previously left untried for a reason), so perhaps I'm not the best person to decide these things. In any case, I love both bands, and I couldn't care less whether one, the other, or both were/are considered indietastic easy listening. I just like the songs, dammit.

Who said anything about Radiohead still being experimental, or being more experimental than Wilco? There's a point where you can't go any further or you're not even making remotely accessible music any more. So what if Radiohead eased off on the gas pedal? While HTTT and In Rainbows don't push the envelope, they're still inventive albums, and HTTT was going for more of a live/visceral sound anyway. Bottom line is, I'm not hearing carbon copies of old songs. They still sound fresh.

Also, I personally never found Foxtrot experimental. Compared to Being There, yeah, it's weirder. But I was never like OMG WHAT IS THIS NEW MUSIC?? It's not about them being indie, it's about them being fucking boring. It's rather whitebread, and it occurred to me that a good comparison would be calling them the American Coldplay, but Wilco's not that derivative. Or lame.

As for the album title: Whatever you need to tell yourself to sleep okay tonight. And it's not just a stupid album name, it's a stupid song name as well. And if U2 had done the same thing my god would people be jumping all over that shit.

Who said anything about Radiohead still being experimental, or being more experimental than Wilco?

My major issue with the band is probably how their own fans portray them as some amazing/deep/American-Radiohead/inventive type group.

Deep, inventive, experimental...all intertwined IMO. Although I will agree that any comparisons between the two are rather absurd. I don't see them as any way alike, and in no way align myself with those who do.

There's a point where you can't go any further or you're not even making remotely accessible music any more. So what if Radiohead eased off on the gas pedal? While HTTT and In Rainbows don't push the envelope, they're still inventive albums, and HTTT was going for more of a live/visceral sound anyway. Bottom line is, I'm not hearing carbon copies of old songs. They still sound fresh.

This is a fair set of points. Hail is the only record of theirs I would consider remotely stale. I don't think In Rainbows is anything new or particularly inventive, but it sounds vital, and that certainly counts.

Say what you will about Wilco, but, as far as I'm concerned, they deserve major credit for consistently progressing as a group, and never repeating themselves. Even Sky Blue Sky feels unique within their discography, even though it is a clear synthesis of the country fried A.M. and the ambient qualities of A Ghost Is Born, with a few classic rock jams straight out of Summerteeth thrown in for good measure. I think they've shown great vision, and have progressed in a way that showed the band logically improving and expanding upon previous records.

As for the album title: Whatever you need to tell yourself to sleep okay tonight. And it's not just a stupid album name, it's a stupid song name as well. And if U2 had done the same thing my god would people be jumping all over that shit.

I always hate eponymous album titles, and I'm certainly not a fan of "Wilco (The Album)", but least it's a mildly clever spin on something I hate, rather than the sheer laziness it could have been without the parenthetical addition.

To continue on what Laz was saying, Wilco have enough of a sense of humor to where something like Wilco (the Album) works for them. It may be stupid and cheesy, but a lot of their music is too. Unapologetically so. Can you imagine SC ever doing Shuttlecock (the Album) or "Shuttlecock (the Song)?" Of course not.

Wilco certainly haven't made any music I'd consider experimental by any stretch of the imagination. It's all relative to the rest of their catalog. And I love Sky Blue Sky for what it is. A laid back record from a group of middle-aged men becoming comfortable in their own skin. Shuttlecock should take a cue, since their last three records sucked.

Yankee vs. ATYCLC
Ghost vs. HTMAAS
Sky Blue Sky vs. No Net

Wilco is the winner every time.

Yankee vs. ATYCLC
Ghost vs. HTMAAS
Sky Blue Sky vs. No Net

Wilco is the winner every time.

I'll give you the first one, and the second one is debatable because Ghost has more interesting music but Atomic has better songs.

The last one? Don't make me fucking laugh. Impossible, Austin.

To continue on what Laz was saying, Wilco have enough of a sense of humor to where something like Wilco (the Album) works for them. It may be stupid and cheesy, but a lot of their music is too. Unapologetically so. Can you imagine SC ever doing Shuttlecock (the Album) or "Shuttlecock (the Song)?" Of course not.

Wilco certainly haven't made any music I'd consider experimental by any stretch of the imagination. It's all relative to the rest of their catalog. And I love Sky Blue Sky for what it is. A laid back record from a group of middle-aged men becoming comfortable in their own skin. Shuttlecock should take a cue, since their last three records sucked.

Also, you know you're in a minority thinking No Net sucks, right? Even among people who didn't like the other two before it?

Nice rationalization on Wilcock (The Album), though. I'd expect no less from blind fans. So by the band making fun of how dumb the title is, it's somehow okay? And my point was that Wilcock DOESN'T have a good sense of humor, which is illustrated by them actually going forward with that idiotic idea.

What I'm excited about is seeing which corporate cock Wilcock and Fist can collectively suck when they whore out their duet to the highest bidder.

I didn't want to post this in the Wilco thread, but in addition to being insanely overrated, Wilco has now proven to have a really weak sense of humor. Wilco (The Album)!! Ha ha, how clever! And Wilco (The Song)!! Genius!!

:rolleyes:

I can't wait to hear the sycophants defend this one.

For every semi-decent song they have, they have a painfully lame pop song. Heavy Metal Drummer is beyond idiotic. My major issue with the band is probably how their own fans portray them as some amazing/deep/American-Radiohead/inventive type group. Half of their songs are close to being easy listening adult contemporary garbage, the other half are close to being terrible disasters attempting to be experimental". If people gave them a realistic description of being a "decent enough completely inoffensive silly pop alt-country group", I'd probably have no issues with them.

Wilco are still in my opinion the Matchbox 20 of indie rock, and alt-country has mostly become easy listening adult contemporary for people who still want to think they're hip. It's extremely bland and inoffensive music that people can listen to without having to have their heart rate go up.

I do like them quite a bit more than I ever used to, but I still really don't get why people attempt to portray them as some amazingly fantastic group. They're the epitome of overrated and overhyped. Are they terrible? No. Are they fantastically amazing? Absolutely not.

I never could get into Wilco.

:love: I have tried again and again and I don't get Wilco

I'll give you the first one, and the second one is debatable because Ghost has more interesting music but Atomic has better songs.

The last one? Don't make me fucking laugh. Impossible, Austin.

I honestly think Sky Blue Sky is a better record with better songs. Plus it doesn't have the mindnumbing lows of "Cock Crazy" and "Stand Up Referee." I understand where people get off when they throw out the "dad-rock" criticisms and I don't necessarily disagree considering their earlier work. But it's an all around solid album. Nothing on No Net rivals 1:16-1:57 of "You Are My Face Cock."

Also, you know you're in a minority thinking No Net sucks, right? Even among people who didn't like the other two before it?

Nice rationalization on Wilcock (The Album), though. I'd expect no less from blind fans. So by the band making fun of how dumb the title is, it's somehow okay? And my point was that Wilcock DOESN'T have a good sense of humor, which is illustrated by them actually going forward with that idiotic idea.

What I'm excited about is seeing which corporate cock Wilcock and Fist can collectively suck when they whore out their duet to the highest bidder.

Yeah, you know that I know I'm in the minority. Only two of us in the Cock Force didn't like it (me and Shouter). And I was merely pointing out that the album title is tongue in cheek. I don't recall ever saying it was really great or anything. And them having a sense of humor doesn't necessarily mean the joke is funny. I think it just means they're willing to go through with a dumb idea like Wilco (the Album).

The Volkswagen thing.... well, I can't defend that. I drive a VW, I love Wilco, and I still can't defend it. My dad gives me shit for it constantly.

And a side note: I'm glad we're all having our first worthwhile and substantive discussion in a week.

The Volkswagen thing.... well, I can't defend that. I drive a VW, I love Wilco, and I still can't defend it. My dad gives me shit for it constantly.

You know what the worst part of the VW advertisements was? The Thanks I Get is one of Wilco's worst songs. Terrible choice. How about Handshake Drugs? That would be highly ironic, and the song is fantastic.

"The Thanks I Get" full band is indeed terrible, but I think the Tweedy solo versions have a certain charm to them. I actually like it quite a bit when it's done like that. The singalong is great when you're there. Tweedy solo shows are some of the best I've ever been to.

YouTube - Jeff Tweedy "The Thanks I Get"

And I know Laz was talking shit about "Heavy Metal Drummer," but that's a great solo one too. It benefits a lot from the "She lifted up her shirt" verse being subbed in, and not just because I'm a sexual deviant.

Jeff Tweedy - "Heavy Metal Drummer"

Wilco has sucked for a long, long, long time. Still, I'll always get something out of Summerteeth and most of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Pared down to a single disc, Being There would've been all right.

Jay Bennett needs a hip replacement and is uninsured. Sucks for him, I guess. First you get edited into a monster, in a shit documentary, and then nobody buys your records and your hip goes bad. Also, The Palace at 4am (Part 1) remains solid gold.

I wasn't the one who mentioned Heavy Metal Server, impy. That was Scumbo.

Also, while I totally agree with you that nothing on Sky Birdie Sky is as bad as Cock Crazy or Stand Up Referee, Wilcock will NEVER release anything as good as No Net's highlights. Ever. They might be better musicians, but they are inferior artists.

I'm not as critical of the band as IYS (I think Being There is one of the better double albums--even if it sounds like a jukebox, I'm pressed to find more than a couple weak tracks), he's dead on about the Bennett thing. Even though the doc was biased against him, I still thought Tweedy was the asshole/basket case.

For the record, Wilco was one of my favorite bands, during the Bennett years. I still regard Summerteeth as one of the best produced rock records of the last 30 years, and have frequently referred to it as "my generation's Pet Sounds," in terms of the melding of inventive production and recording techniques with basic-yet-skewed pop songcraft.

Again, though: The Palace at 4am (Part 1)

So good! Oh, and JayJay wrote the best Wilco song ever, "Venus Stopped the Train."

So if I were to start a ZC thread, would it be taken seriously? Or has my persona become such that everything I ever post will be fraught with cock jokes?

Did anyone know that cock.i.am is in the new Wolverine movie?

This guy needs to disappear. He's infiltrating our culture to a catastrophic level; he's like the swine flu of the entertainment industry, let's say.

Atlanta is Muse?!!!???!!

*jumps on desk at work and dances a jig of joy*

It's official. Scumbo LUVS TWYLYTE!

It's nice enough that I don't have to sit through the Cock Eyed Peas, but it's even better knowing Laz does have to. Twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom